Alpha Male - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alpha Male Reviews

February 18, 2012
British drama about a family who go through all the various stages of mourning after the death of its patriarch. Very realistic and emotional.
½ May 18, 2009
Decent direction and acting, but the story lacks compelling emotional development and none of characters seems to change. The movie could have ended pretty much anywhere and we still would have left with the same dour feelings.
½ January 24, 2009
Watched this late one night, when I couldn't sleep. Was ok but not really that interesting and didn't need much brain power, hence why I could watch it when I was half asleep.
½ January 19, 2009
Apart from being an absolute bore, the story of a very wealthy family dealing with personal tragedy lacks empathy with the audience.
January 18, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast throughout this movie...i think that danny huston plays a good part throughout this movie...i also think that mark heap (from the hit tv shows spaced, green wing, smack the pony) plays a good part throughout this movie...i think that the scenery throughout this movie is awsome...i think that the director of this Drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie because the director keeps you on the edge's of your seats throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch
November 16, 2008
I got a bit annoyed by the lengthy pauses between each line of the dialogue. I know it was done for dramatic effect, but honestly, there's a time and a place for thoughtful pauses. It made the film feel incredibly slow. Granted it helped create the tension that existed in the family but I think the pace could have been sped up in places.
½ October 31, 2008
something that must have escaped me all through the movie, at the end, and even hours after watching it. I kept thinking "the plot will unravel and the movie will show itself," but I was sadly wrong. Aside from seeing a dysfunctional family that appears perfect on the outside (which we have seen enough) and that crumbles when the father dies, I don't know what the point of the movie was. Hmmmm, maybe it was that if you throw a really good birthday party everything fixes itself...

I definitely do not recommend this one!
September 2, 2008
I didn't know anything about this film when I rented it, but it proved to be quite well acted and very moving.
½ August 23, 2008
glatially paced drama redeemed by the performances of Jennifer Ehle and Amelia Warner.
June 2, 2008
Kind of like a botched English version of /Festen/ but without the innovative film-making or the harsh story. Slow, brooding ... boring.
May 11, 2008
rented because patrick baladi was in this....neil from the office (uk version). i saw him but i got bored quite quickly and then i just started fast forwarding. am i just watching too many movies? i've been pretty disappointed in my netflix picks lately.
½ March 5, 2008
bit boring, ok....watched it on dvd....
December 26, 2007
sort of like when did you last see your father from this year also, a deathh of a husband, father, brings events out in open, and memorys of past as father deals with last days and life with kids,, wife, and in current various family members agruer and bicker and kids go through moaning, nothing new, lush country detting in england, and goood acting all round especially, danny huston as the father
½ October 9, 2007
So bad it even failed to cure my Sunday night insomnia! Mind you the Beeb had just treated me to MOTD2 and Heroes so can't complain!
August 30, 2007
I was highly disappointed by this movie... It took ages to get into because it was so fractured from the beginning, and confused you. It was really difficult to relate or feel anything for the characters until nearer the end, when it got slightly better but most of the characters felt cold. Shame.