Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monster Reviews

½ April 17, 2015
Couldn't finish it. A monotone of similar 'documentary' style broken up pieces of footage where the characters repeated the same or similar lines over and over again. Extremely annoying to watch.
October 22, 2013
Tuesday, October 22, 2013

(2008) Monster
THRILLER

People who like "Cloverfield" should be able to like this film too since the approaches are similar to each other by means of hand held. It takes place in Japan, and a couple of sisters are going around asking Japanese people about Global Warming until what was assumed was supposed to be an earthquake, but is really some multiple legged monster.
½ April 11, 2013
Holy crap this sucked. The best part was the first 10 minutes of the two sisters traveling to Japan from LAX. This was chock-full of terrible acting and writing. These ladies experience an "earthquake" while filming an interview with some Jap about global warming and the Kyoto Protocol. They start to believe it was a terrorist act, only to change their collective mind after glimpses of humongous tentacles. Made by Asylum to capitalize on the awesome "Cloverfield". I guess its supposed to be a kaiju film despite the lack of a visual monster. Poop.
April 6, 2013
Just watched 30 mins of it by accident on TV. Just dreadful. It might have been better if they'd used actors. I don't know who the people in the film were...but they weren't actors . A script writer would have helped too. Just dreadful. Not funny dreadful. Just dreadful.
½ February 19, 2013
"Cloverfield" styled junk. Poorly acted and rather boring. The actresses would have wounds in one scene and they would magically disappear in the next scene. The sounds of the monster was nothing original and the monster is just not that terrifying
November 11, 2012
Its low budget but there are a few moments when I found the hair on my arms standing on end. Not from any of the monster shots but the moments when the girls learn what's really tearing the city apart.
October 20, 2012
This movie gave me the worst headache. You never actually see the monsters, and if you do I probably didn't see it because I couldn't sit through the whole thing. The whole time you see either one chick or the other with crappy dialogue. It would be a better movie if the whole time I wasn't just following a scared girl around who knows where. It was poorly set up and terrible idea, avoid this thing.
September 18, 2012
It's not that bad. I like Cloverfield more.
½ September 2, 2012
Obligatory rip-off of Cloverfield by Asylum who brought you alot of other rip offs collecting dust on the shelves at your local video store: Transmorphers, Alien Vs Hunter, I Am Omega and most recently, Allan Quatermain and the Temple of Skulls.
Two sisters travel to Japan to make a documentary on global warming when an octopus monster (I think. It's never really seen.) shows up and tears up Japan.
Not surprisingly it's not any good and it even gives Sci-Fi channel movies a run for their money.
½ April 28, 2012
Uhm... it wasnt really the worst thing i've ever seen. But it couldn't have been farther from the best. It starts off really nice and promising. The acting is solid and easy to watch. But then, when the action starts, things go down hill... fast. First off, the movie is called monster. Yet, the only glimpses you get of the giant monster are very very short chaotic moments where an enormous tentacle sweeps around in front of the camera. For a movie title 'Monster', there's little emphasis on the monster attack itself. Also, it was just plain awkward to watch. It was PAINFULLY obvious that the girls are never in danger, as the scenery around them is always perfectly fine, not looking anything like the aftermath of destruction, yet they sit there and cry over their wretched fate. It's just... awkward. There were some actually pretty cool chaotic/action scenes that made me go "whoa", but it wasnt enough to keep me wanting to watch it. I honestly would just say skip this movie, cuz its not even that kind of bad that you like to watch. Its that kind of bad thats just... bad.
April 2, 2012
I am a big fan of bad sci-fi and Asylum's Mockbusters are just that. This particular effort is a "ripoff" of Cloverfield and is perhaps a contender for the worst movie ever made. Certainly Asylum's leading contender for that title. Consisting mostly of "amateur" footage of one of two sisters as they watch the events take place off camera. nice way to save money on effects, dialog costs were kept down by having almost no one in the movie speak English and what dialog there was seemed improvised. I particularly enjoyed the van scene. this movie has to be seen to be believed. A must for lovers of really bad sci-fi.
March 21, 2012
An Asylum mockbuster for 'Cloverfield' that ends up being very horrible and boring with terrible effects. You don't really get too good of a look at the monster, but it appears to be all tentacles. There characters are horrible and the story goes no where. There are a few interesting moments, but it's still a very dull film.
½ December 31, 2011
Monster is a found-footage giant monster film that obviously is trying to rip off Cloverfield without ever managing to deliver any decent scares or anything more convincing than a Godzilla-looking tail.....
Directors Cat
½ December 4, 2011
Monster is another obvious asylum rip-off. This time they've made their own take on Cloverfield which I absolutely loved. Each Asylum film I have watched has garned a certified "rotten" rating from me. The highest being Transmorphers at 40% still certifying it "rotten". Monster is the most boring, badly made, kill yourself before finishing movie I have ever seen The Asylum attempt to create.
½ October 16, 2011
SPOOK-A-THON!
October 2011
REVIEW #:012
The Asylums' MONSTER [2008]: Found footage films have been common place in the Horror Genre ever since the infamous 1980 film CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and have become hugely popular ever since THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. When CLOVERFIELD hit screens in 2008, The Asylum unleashed it own Straight To Video Mock-Buster or cash in on that films Popularity entitled MONSTER. This TERRIBLE Asylum knock-off sees two American sisters in Tokyo, Japan shooting an environmental documentary when a Giant CGI Octopus attacks the city. Complete with alright performances, shitty CGI (An Asylum Trademark), and the worst camerawork with fade to fuckin black every two or three bloody minutes! This film lives up to its title, it's a monster alright to try and view when the film has the habit of cutting to a black screen constantly this monster gets a much deserved 30% for nearly giving a headache.....................
½ July 8, 2011
Undisguised Cloverfield rip-off, without the... anything. Production value, acting (except Sarah Lynch), plot, all terrible. Heed other warnings to stay away and just watch Cloverfield.
½ July 1, 2011
This is an obvious rip off of Cloverfield. 2 girls go to Tokyo and start interviewing the leader, and all of a sudden a monster attacks. First off, the sound was HORRIBLE. During certain scenes you can hear people talking in the background like normal, they recycle the same sound effects over and over(the same scream is used probably about 25 times in the first 30 min, and you can hear cars drive by like normal. The sets they use are bad. They do 1 on 1s in empty parking lots, empty malls, and random caves. When they need to do a scene in the open, the people walking around..are doing just that. They walk around like the girls arent there. Did i mention a monster is attacking and the two main characters are freaking out yet no one else in Tokyo is? By far the worst is the camera work. When ever an action scene is initiating, the camera goes bad. It flashes random colors, it goes into static, it shakes until it turns off, and it even went out during an explanation scene. This is not a good work of cinematography, this is a way to TRICK viewers into believe something is happening but nothing is because the budget sucks. The effects are terrible. Random tentacles pop out and swipe the air, the two main girls freak out, and the camera screws up. The smoke and fire from buildings looks obviously like it was put in after everything was shot. It looks like its layered on top of the video. ..Here is the thing with bad special effects. I can deal with a movie like Raptor island, where the raptors look horrible but they are ALWAYS on the screen.. But if we only see a small amount of these effects, as in the movie, unfortunately i cant classify it as a good bad movie. Those great movies being that they are so bad they are awesome. This does not win that honor. Is most of Tokyo destroyed? Yeah it is. Oh is it now? Well every time you stepped outside all the buildings were intact, and people didnt seem to notice the giant tentacle monster floating around the air.
½ June 22, 2011
meh it was ok cool idea though
November 8, 2010
better then Cloverfield
½ July 3, 2010
Now, I didn't like Cloverfield. The likely hood of me liking a low budget remake? Non existent.