To Kill a King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Kill a King Reviews

August 2, 2015
The sets and the acting are good, but the plot is rather complex. Difficult to put this political drama together.
March 25, 2014
The historical inaccuracies in this film are astounding. Ann De Vere's father had died well before she married Sir Thomas Fairfax. Their daughter Moll was born before the Civil War commenced. Prisoners on either side were not manacled as show in this film. Sir Thomas Fairfax had no dealings with the king or parliament - he was a solider not a politician. This film gives the impression that Fairfax and Cromwell had been friends for years and had planned the overthrow of the king way back when, when it actually fact the two men met for the first time in October, 1643. Fairfax was a monarchist whose sole aim was to see the king's power and authority curtailed and not to see the king or the monarchy done away with. As for Fairfax trying to assassinate Cromwell is purely artistic licence as this was not true. I read a review on another website about a teacher purchasing this video to show his or her students as they were studying the Civil War. I can only say that I am astonished at this because no one is going to learn anything about the Civil War from this movie. Watch the film as a movie and not as a piece of historical fact and you will enjoy it. I think.
½ November 23, 2013
Despite the brilliant cast I couldn't really enjoy this movie. The subject of this movie wasn't anything that I had an interest in, but I watched it for the potential.
½ December 30, 2012
Directed by Mike Barker (Best Laid Plans (1999) and Butterfly on a Wheel (2007)), this historical drama had a nightmarish production, it started life as Cromwell and Fairfax, to have starred Jude Law and Ewan McGregor in 2000. Then the funding fell through, they started again with a different cast, the funding fell through again during filming, then FilmFour went under. Despite all this, it's a lavish film, even if it is a little cliched. Set in 1648, towards the end of the English Civil War, Sir Thomas Fairfax (Dougray Scott) is leading a crusade against the Royalist Cavaliers, with his fellow commander, Oliver Cromwell (Tim Roth). They discover a lot of betrayal and skulduggery within Parliament, there are those who have allegiances to the King, Charles I (Rupert Everett), who is under house arrest. Charles tries to get Fairfax's wife Lady Anne (Olivia Williams) to convince her husband and Cromwell to spare him, but Cromwell's mind is made up, and tensions between him and Fairfax grow, as Cromwell starts to abuse his power. It's a good period drama, but it might have been better suited to TV, but Roth and Scott make good leads, with Everett perfectly cast as the foppish king Charles. Evidence of the cost-cutting the went on during it's troubled production does show in some places, but it's a good thing they got it finished. It's a shame that hardly anyone went to see it, but there doesn't seem to be that much call for costume dramas these days, unless it's fantasy based.
September 27, 2012
Con mas interes historico que otra cosa, es un interesante acercamiento al poco conocido Olivier Cromwell, que sinceramente, ahora me le imagino igual que Tim Roth.
½ September 13, 2012
Historical Facts neatly put to a great extent. Entertaining. No wonder Cromwell was so Hated...
½ August 29, 2012
I enjoy English history. I am always looking for a well acted, good story, that has been put together well. I felt that this movie was almost that. It seemed to lack that certain something, though, that made it really good. Not enough drama. Not enough action (definitely not). All in all, however, I found it interesting...
July 26, 2012
This film could not make up its mind about what it wanted to focus on -- the friendship between Fairfax and Cromwell and the havoc Fairfax's wife caused for it, the killing of a king, the character of Fairfax -- so, too many angles, and none carried through.
½ May 13, 2012
An average historical movie. I'd have liked to see more battles and less of the interpersonal interaction or at least more battles and the same amount of interaction.
February 8, 2012
needed more action but still real good
½ January 27, 2012
Slow... lacking character development and general plot, too much personal drama. Costume was the best part of the film.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Andrea.
½ August 20, 2011
July 24, 2011
An excellent period piece that gives a good historical account of the lead-up to Cromwell's takeover of England. Great acting by Tim Roth and Dougray Scott are, however, undermined by rather stiff acting by most of the other principle characters. Excellent costumes and sets.
July 20, 2011
So slow. Was hoping for a war movie similar to Braveheart and got a political "thriller" instead. Dull story with so-so acting. The movie doesn't make you care about anything (the commoners of England, the main characters, whether anyone is eating Shepherd's pie, etc.). Find something else to watch.
February 11, 2011
A very slow, muddled movie. The performances are fairly disappointing, given the strength of the actors. The characters all blended into the background as the political conflict became central. Left me disinterested.
½ January 4, 2011
This film plays more like a historical pageant, failing to ever come to grips with the characters that people what should be a compelling story. The plot jumps from major event to major event with scarcely a moment taken for development. As good an actor as Tim Roth is, every time you begin to see him bring something out of Cromwell the director thrusts you into a new scene leaving you unsatisfied.
½ December 22, 2010
Quality suffers because the movie is incomplete. But an enjoyable diversion.
November 19, 2010
Ich gebe zu, dass ich den Film nur nebenbei geguckt habe - und mir deswegen wohl die emotionale Seite nicht sehr aufgefallen ist. Aber davon abgesehen ist es ein netter Kostümfilm, auch wenn ich Tim Roth als Oliver Cromwell nicht sehr überzeugend fand. Dougray Scott (als Thomas Fairfax), Olivia Willams (als Lady Anne) und Rupert Everett (als Kind Charles I) hingegen, waren toll.
½ October 31, 2010
Even a pest kind of person like Cromwell did some good to mankind : he died :p Tim Roth is excellent in his character as usual and it's actually interesting to realize how he resembles the portraits of Cromwell ! Rupert Everett is a delight under the skin of King Charles I, too :)~