The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus Reviews

November 17, 2017
Best movie ive ever seen and an all time favorite. So many hidden messgaes behind this movie.
November 6, 2017
heath!! & johnny depp :]
½ October 24, 2017
Terry Gilliam returns to the world building he has been relishing in since the 80s, you could feel a sense of genuine love from the filmmaker. My central issue is the story is a little messy and it undoes the conclusion of the film, a little more explanation couldn't have hurt the film. I have a feeling the film had to sustain a huge overhaul that was due to the death of Heath Ledger, it would have been nice to experience the true film and also another visit to the joker role. The film has a true visionary at the helm and I think further viewings will increase my opinion, like most of his films. I like true original stories and having this unique little film in the world isn't the worst thing. 23-10-2017.
July 8, 2017
Last movie from Heath Ledger R.I.P... The rest of the cast: Johnny,Jude & Colin were just for 10 minutes in that movie ???
March 25, 2017
this is a magnificent play. the only issue its that ledger died before he could finish it. nothing else.
½ February 11, 2017
One of the most odd and perhaps intriguing films I've ever seen. I'm really not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
½ November 8, 2016
Great premise that is poorly executed. It has gotten better as I've rewatched it but I still don't love it.
½ October 11, 2016
This movie is weird. Very very weird. Terry Gilliam is an insane person (duh?). I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also have no idea what anything was at any point. It's a mess, but a very good mess.
August 21, 2016
A fantasy movie for those looking to escape to another place! Heath Ledger's final movie is a must see!
August 19, 2016
Weird, but nevertheless imaginative and fascinating
June 22, 2016
Wtf did I just watch? There's obviously great visuals and some kind of story but I did not get it at all. Oh well.
½ June 12, 2016
Interesting theme, but ultimately a bit too bizarre for my taste.
June 5, 2016
Some people will think it was just okay, but this playful little masterwork really represents the best cinema has to offer in pretty much every respect.
½ June 3, 2016
Terry Gilliam from the outset has been a force of nature visually. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is disjointed, whimsical, dark, and spectacular. Disjointed, not in the negative, but as a purposeful part of the human imagination in a waking dream state that is just that. When the travelers walk through the mirror, they are alive in a dream state, encircled by their greatest dreams and nightmares. Dr. Parnassus embodying both, for as a munk with great understanding and purpose, then a scorned lover, he knows both worlds. The extensive cast is wonderful evoking that sense of wonderment and imagination, of all that one strives for in one's dreams attempting to make them real. But as is often the case in striving for one's dreams, deals are made and deals are lost, or one remains within oneself and takes what's offered without making deal, if you will, with the devil. A wonderful film with great visuals and acting by the entire cast. It may become a bit disorienting at times, but that is life and the dream state isn't it?
May 17, 2016
Optical stunning, but lousy story!
½ May 15, 2016
the shit affects drove me nuts... it looked awful
½ April 26, 2016
All the imagination and spectacle you would expect from a Gilliam film, and then some. A throwback to some of his earlier work. Great performances by all, perhaps overshadowed by the fact that it is the final performance of Heath Ledger and the altruistic performances by Depp, Law, and Farrell.
½ April 16, 2016
Visually exciting but narratively confusing, I've tried to get through this a couple of times now. Sometimes, director Terry Gilliam's obviously very fertile imagination just gets away from him.
March 26, 2016
A wild imagination indeed...although the story was at times way too bizarre, it is visually very interesting. Also, with the unfortunate passing of Heath Ledger, they managed to blend the void well by using this strange world and how people saw the "Tony" character by using Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell, who essentially is a man of many faces and isn't who he seems.