The Lather Effect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lather Effect Reviews

½ June 10, 2011
Pretty Cool movie .. Would Love the soundtrack!
November 22, 2010
First the cons: Weak script, cliche characters, inconsistent acting chops among cast. The pros: The premise of looking back at teenagedom in the 80s as responsible (or irresponsible) 30-somethings, the incredible soundtrack, and the few characters of substance played by Eric Stoltz, Tate Donovan and Peter Facinelli (who interestingly enough, don't fall into the Class of '88 main character ensemble and find themselves as outsiders in some form or another). As far as the other characters go, I don't think I would have been friends with any of these people in high school-- and perhaps because of or in spite of that fact, it was somewhat entertaining to be a proverbial fly on this cinematic wall! Worth checking out on Netflix.
½ July 16, 2010
Really enjoyed this - yes, it's a "Big Chill" for those of us who graduated high school in the '80's, but it's fun, smart, and the pop culture references are great - recommended.
February 1, 2010
Pretty much a big rip off of "The Big Chill".

The cast is great, but the script is just plain weak.
November 19, 2009
Tate Donovan has been in our movies and we are among who share the same desire to follow up his tv and movie roles. Once or twice patronized his films, he becomes a part of your daily entertainment fair. The Lather Effect has been a by-word or more a household word, on tv too and keen on purchasing a dvd for my collection. Memphis Belle, Love Potion #9, Nancy Drew, Damages, Clean and Sober are among the few that made me cleave to his performance.
½ August 21, 2009
What is, essentially, The Big Chill for Generation X (in fact it bills itself that way), suffers from the same problem as its inspiration - it's dull. Some good actors are left stranded with barely defined characters by a poor script that is all nostalgia and no substance. Despite this, Connie Britton continues to prove that she is one of the finest and most underrated actors working today.
½ July 30, 2009
It kind of reminded me of The Big Chill, but updated and a little more fun. Well, a lot more fun. I couldn't relate to the story very well, though. Maybe I haven't quite hit the right age for it yet.
½ June 25, 2009
Not too shabby. Awesome sound track.
½ June 15, 2009
Hmmmm..... Peter was good. He had a pretty small roll, though. But so far I've believed everything he's presenting me with. Overall the movie was pretty painstakingly boring, though. I kept watching, because I was hoping something would happen. But nada!

What else has Peter done...... *runs to peruse netflix*
½ June 6, 2009
a little entertaining... basically nothing but one big 40-something cliche...

C
½ March 22, 2009
Good, but could have been better. Being a thirty-something who was a teenager in the 80s, I liked the general feel of the movie, and could relate to the cultural references. Also liked the relationship drama, and the nostalgia.

Decent plot. Good acting for the most part. Found Eric Stolz's acting quite irritating, fake and contrived though.

The most irritating thing though was the use of 80s music. Of course, these are people who grew up in the 80s, so they would prefer 80s stuff, but it got a bit tiresome after a while. The writer and director's assumption is that people who grew up in the 80s only listen to 80s music, which is preposturous. (And for a bunch of seemingly intelligent people, they were into some pretty crappy music as kids! Alphaville, a-ha, T'pau...).

Note: movie was titled "One more night" in Australia.
March 16, 2009
I had never heard of this movie until I watched it... it was a very good movie. Old High School friends get together for a weekend of partying and old relationships and flames come back to the surface. Funny and Serious at the same time. The movie brings back memories of the past, both good and bad. Worth the price of two popcorns and a box of Jr. Mints.
March 9, 2009
Actually, Todd found this movie one night and said I had to see it...(oh, and he is so the Tate Donovan character, too, wearing the khakis cleaning up after the party his wife had and is too hung over with her friends to help). I loved it. Takes place the morning after a group of high school friends get together for a "Come As You Were" last party at one their parents' house before it is sold and a few end up spending the rest of the weekend together dishing about the party and what happened years ago. Definitely an easy flick to watch, so fun to remember the drinking games, and music, and what it means to have 20 years of your life fly by...as happy as you are now, it is fun to vacation back to that time.
½ February 26, 2009
One of the best movies for bring up old memories, Great Sat. afternoon movie, when your scrap booking!!!
½ February 5, 2009
omg these characters are a bunch of losers, this movie was okay but seriously some characters pissed me off especially val!
January 12, 2009
My DVR was supposed to tape the Butterfly Effect but got this dramedy in the style of John Hughes and the Big Chill instead. It had some great 80s music and interesting characters, specifically Eric Stoltz who was awesome. However ultimately it is a little too cliched (we don't actually see the party or the much talked about Lex, etc). Although the ending is happy, it feels rushed since I felt some subplots were still open despite everything being solved basically perfectly in the end.
½ January 4, 2009
More like a "The Big Chill" wannabe. Watching Eric Stoltz in this movie was tedious and I don't know what the hell kind of accent he thought he was doing. The ages of the characters didn't make any sense either unless this movie was supposed to have taken place about 8 years before it was released.
½ December 29, 2008
This movie reminds me of "The Big Chill" if the story was told by "The Breakfast Club". I liked it. Entertaining. I thought Eric Stoltz played a great character.
½ December 24, 2008
Terrible - I hate movies about pity parties.
December 21, 2008
very interesting movie good cast,makes me wanna throw a reunion