Girls Rock! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girls Rock! Reviews

November 3, 2010
"It was very chaostic." Fantastic rockin' fun.
May 16, 2010
This should be required viewing for young women everywhere along with that "What's Happening to my Body?" video they show in health class. The statistics about girls' low self-esteem starting at age 9 are frightening and this is the kind of doc that might make them realize that stuff like The Hills and Twilight only hurt them in the long run. Get angry and fight back against a society that values men over women!!
Also, Beth Ditto is so awesome I almost can't stand it.
½ April 25, 2010
I have mixed feelings on this movie. Some momments are unwatchable because of tantrums, making noise or I guess girls acting their age. It is an overall positive message but I didn't get the sense that the camp really transformed any of the girls like they set out too. Palace, the young girl on the cover was really interesting. The film makers should have gone deeper into the backround of the girls.
August 16, 2009
A fun movie. Not much to say about this other than I would totally have wanted to go there as a kid and will totally let my daughter go once I have one.
March 15, 2009
takes a peek into some girls' lives which is pretty interesting, but the main girls are just kinda dumb and annoying sometimes.
February 26, 2009
I've been to rock and roll camp for girls (the tennessee one) and I was really excited about seeing this film! I think it does a great job showing how much fun it is and how much these girls accomplish in just a week! rock and roll camp changed my life. i hope they spout up all over the nation and give girls all over a chance to show what they can do!
½ February 21, 2009
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Parents beware! This doc is sure to appeal to a few girls 9-15 especially if they are the 'rocker' type BUT it sends mixed messages. The intentions may be in the right place but the documentary falls short of being 'empowering'. Some girls can relate to, saying "she's like me." Its not uplifting nor are all the messages healthy. They do talk about anorexia bolima diet drugs to get thin. They say you don't need to be like that but show clips of Britney Spears. WHAT? Many of these girls had deep anger, self esteem and grief issues. The camp leaders seem to have few answers. There are certainly some very positive message. So I give it 2.5*s. I watched this with my 14 year old female cousin and my 19 year old male cousin. When the words 'popularity-hore' were thrown around loosely I was shocked this has a PG rating. The language & the behavior must be considered PG13. They call each other smart@ss & use language like pissedoff and dam screwed and more from the mouth of kids. One girl bites others and another punches. I was very relieved my 4 year old daughter had gone to bed already. Later an 8 years old girl, Palace sang a song "San Fransisco sucks sometimes. Go to Hell Golden gate bridge. San Fansisco Sucks. No place that I wanna live. I don't wanna go there again. With my mom on a business trip. Just seeing its all about her. I'm gonna watch that city burn. And I'm gonna watch that city burn. that city burn, and that city burn..." HORRIFYINGLY ANGRY! and the mom speak proudly of her 8 year old picking outfits to me marketable... Its quite a disturbing sequence. Serious psychological issues should not be advertised as a positive. So this Doc is a mixed bag. I could talk with my cousin about the good and bad at 14, but younger girls should not be shown this behavior without close supervision to lead them through the rights and wrongs of film. Beware Parents. Use wise judgment, but some of you with rockin tweens may want to check it out carefully. Hope this is Helpful![/size][/font]
February 18, 2009
Watched 60 seconds and realise that this movie SUCKED. lol
½ February 16, 2009
Yes, they do. And this does!
February 10, 2009
Palace is awesome, but this is an awful lot of girls and not a lot of rockin'. Give me Mad Hot Ballroom, Rock School or School of Rock and a Smoosh CD over this any day.
February 8, 2009
Didn't like the movie itself, especially the annoying animations and random statistics. Also I only really liked two of the central figures, Palace (for the kick ass attitude and great facial expressions when she sings) and Misty (just for the hard luck story that I really hope things work for her). However, I think the camp is a GREAT idea and if I do have a daughter I hope she will be interested in going. The positive images and friendships they forge in such a short amount of time is priceless. One final note, I REALLY was annoyed by Laura... girl kept verbalizing every thought she had.
February 5, 2009
This was the cutest thing I've seen in a while. I seriously wish I went to an all-girls rock camp when I was little. It was also reassuring to see girls ages 8-17 learning that they can be whoever they want to be, not just another pop princess. Great soundtrack, too!
February 3, 2009
More important for its subject matter than as a film itself. Rock Camp is a truly novel and encouraging concept, not to mention necessary!
½ September 19, 2008
Another Masterpiece of a documentary - similar to Young at Heart - though this time essentially about women's power, starting at an early age. While the girls - aged 8 to 18, although one of the main 'stars' was only 7 - essentially learn how to play an instrument, write songs and puts bands together in order to perform after a week at the camp, they are also instructed in self-defence as well as speaking out for themselves. It is not a crime to be a powerful woman is essentially the message. A well-captured documentary about a most worthwhile effort.
September 5, 2008
really great little movie. this is part of the 2008 Drive-In Film Festival ya'll! although it's upsetting that so many girls dislike themselves, it's heartwarming to see them invest their time and energy into something beneficial like music. when these girls rock out, it's so cute! the written-out statistics on the screen really add to the film, never letting us forget how serious this actually is.
September 4, 2008
Cool movie. Presented some good profiles of different girls struggling with a range of issues. I'd love to make it required-viewing for little girls.
August 28, 2008
i didnt really like the way this was made. i meani know that it was documentary but it was just to cluttered for my taste.
August 24, 2008
All girls, women, ladies, babes, chicks and other females out there should definitely watch this and take a step closer to finding their pride and self-respect again. We are so used to the oppression that we don't recognize it unless they shove it into our faces.
½ August 16, 2008
Really interesting idea for both a camp and a movie. The documentary presented some depressing statistics and then backed them up by focusing on a few campers and their issues, although I would have liked to know more about some of the other campers. Not perfect by any means but fascinating at the same time. And anything that inspires ladies to actually rock instead of just wagging their skinny little butts in front of a camera is alright by me.
August 9, 2008
Heartbreakingly wonderful. Favorite scene: the girls screaming into their microphones.