Ping Guo (Lost in Beijing) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ping Guo (Lost in Beijing) Reviews

½ May 28, 2016
Good, quite surprisingly.
June 26, 2014
one of the things I love about movies is they can take u places u wouldn't normally go like beijing which is another character in this pic wow what a city!
April 20, 2012
A veiled critique of flourishing capitalism in China which was instantly banned in the country. Good performances and unexpected twists make it a fascinating watch.
½ February 12, 2012
The movie's Chinese title is literally "Apple," which refers to the main female character in the movie.

It's very difficult to watch, simply because it's so depressing. Everything is about money and revenge. I'm sure there's a lot of people not like that in Beijing, but it shows how money can ruin people.
October 28, 2011
It's a political and social commentary gone awry with too much ridiculous melodrama that even the generous gratuitous sex scenes cannot distract from. What was meant to be dark and shocking became laughable. Ending scene was meant to be thought provoking, but I was so glad it came to an end. Goodness gracious! It's clear, tho, that China and it's growing new bourgeois are embarking on a new standard of morality that the 2000+ culture/country has never had to deal with before.

The one thing that made me sad tho, was the ever present notion, that the woman's feelings are non important. Both women, in this film, were victims of the still very chauvinist driven society as they suffer at the decisions of their men. Ahhh, with the coming reality of men out numbering the women, this culture of golden sons are going to have a very sudden rude awakening....but I digress from the actual movie.

In essence, China's version of "L' Enfant" that spiraled out of control plotwise and lost their way with the point they were trying to make. the actors were excellent as was cinematography, but plot was a hot mess. I do not argue how realistic it is. It certainly is a slap in the face for me on how realistic it was. And in the end, it made me very sad at the spiraling down of our cultural morality and integrity as a result of the rush of capitalism in a long suffering survivalist society.

It's a good movie, but the credibility as well was the social and political message itself got lost because it was undermined by the ridiculousness of the twists and turns of the plot line on the latter half, ie falling for your rapist? But the notion of who CAN you trust if you can't even trust your spouse is definitely jarring in a society where everyone is driven by the newfound money to be had. It seems after being raped by Mao, his Commmunism and Cultural Revolution, the Chinese will soon be stripped of our cultural values and integrity by Capitalism. This is very sad
June 24, 2011
A tough, gritty drama that pulls no punches. Top notch acting from the entire cast and directed with a steady hand by Yu Li. If you're a fan of foreign films this is a must see.
May 14, 2011
People are similar all over the world. This is a very courageous movie, and this story can relate to any culture. Worth watching. Yu Li is a great director.
September 8, 2010
interesting study of society in modern beijing.
July 25, 2010
Wow, this is really not bad. How they sell this DVD is all aobut Bingbing Fan's nude, so I did not expect much, but it's one of those good orthodox films by Chinese 6th Generation film directors. Although it's not as artistic as ones by other directors, in terms of the style of cinema-verite, it's pretty mature and effective. The theme is also good - it deals with lack of moral of Chinese people in the city and makes fun of how much they think of money. However, very (too) subtle ending kills half of the impression on the film - I could not tell what decision the heroin makes at last... Actors are all great, especially Bingbing Fan is, I gotta say, unbelievably amazing. Tony Leung Kar-Fai shows his capacity as an actor here again by playing a very common middle-aged man of the mainland China.
½ June 29, 2010
Sharp dark comedy from China boasts an excellent screenplay and strong, authentic performances. The soft-focus, handheld camerawork can be trying at times, and the pace slackens toward the end, but these are minor problems against the strength of the story and characters. It also offers an interesting look at the city of Beijing in the 21st century.
½ June 11, 2010
After two graphic sexual encounters, the film settles into a interesting character piece, well directed and excellently acted. My problem was most of the characters were unlikable (although there were great lengths to show them as well rounded people with both good and bad within), and even Bingbing Fan's character (the most likable) was a bit of a doormat. Still an interesting perspective of Chinese culture (that was banned in China).
May 13, 2010
A study in contrasts that plays out in the modern city of Beijing. Two disparate couples are joined together in an intricate ballet of deception, betrayal, blackmail, and sexual tension. The contrast is between a rich, childless couple and a poor, working class couple. It contrasts the victim with his or her oppressor and the deceived against the deceiver. Each of these four tortured souls are involved in a gamble wherein they could lose everything and one is never sure who is winning, or indeed, if there are any winners at all. Interesting camera work maintains the dynamic tensions. There are long shots of Beijing and the mass of humanity, and long interior shots in which little is said or done, but in which violent emotions are on display. The cast is excellent, and the story maintains its narrow focus on these four characters almost without blinking. Only one small side story breaks the string, and it only adds poignancy.
½ April 16, 2010
Tony Leung was excellent in this movie.
alanjayh
½ February 24, 2010
Excellent drama about a silce of life in modern day Beijing..excellent acting especaily by Tony Leung Ka Fai and Bingbing. All four central characters put forth a strong effort and the story does not disappoint. Moving, touching at times and does hold your interest. The story and the drama together is quite realistic and at times you wont feel as though you are watching a movie. See this!
January 27, 2010
very promiscuous and complicated relationships imply to some couples in the urban areas, especially China or Hong Kong. Realism about money.
January 4, 2010
A bold chinese film that makes alot of sense. Really portrays the exploitative nature of some money-grabbing chinese to the core! No wonder it's banned in China.
½ August 20, 2009
A piece of TRASH. No wonder the Chinese government banned this crap. They were embarrassed. I've always loved Mainland China films but not this. Unlikable characters, horrible camera work, and bad acting. Don't waste your time, watch Raise the Red Lantern or anything with Gong Li...
July 8, 2009
another indictment of the evils of urbanity, but nothing one hasn't seen in one form or another. interestingly, ping guo was the least developed (and sympathetic) character. ironic given her presumptive role in this film.
June 18, 2009
Great cinematography and acting, but the story was a little too soap opera-y for me.