Los Muertos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Los Muertos Reviews

½ May 30, 2011
...this is about a man who is released from prison and delivers a letter for a friend in prison and tries to re-connect with his daughter & family. the director fills this movie with lots of long long long shots which gives it a feeling of longing and loss.
August 1, 2010
The result of reading "Contemplative Filmmaking for Dummies"
April 17, 2010
Nach dem j√ľngeren LIVERPOOL meine zweite Begegnung mit dem faszinierenden Werk von Lisandro Alonso. Im direkten Vergleich - der forciert wird durch die "narrative" √?hnlichkeit beider Werke - ist LOS MUERTOS eindeutig der freiere und auch bessere Film. Alonso verfolgt hier st√§rker als im retrospektiv ein wenig gez√§hmt erscheinenden LIVERPOOL eine Art semidokumentarischen Lyrismus, n√§her am enigmatischen Kino eines Apichatpong Weerasethakul denn an verkaufbarer Arthousefilmerei. Beeindruckend hier vor allem die Kameraarbeit und die Montage, die hier - wenn √ľberhaupt - das Erz√§hlen √ľbernehmen.
½ August 16, 2009
For a long time, I thought Battle in heaven was the worst film in the history of mankind, a movie that doesn't belong to the filmography of someone as talented and poetic as Carlos Reygadas, a piece of obvious, lame controversial imagery with no more depth than a sandbox full of urine. A group of non-professional actors with absolutely no direction whatsoever, who spit stupid dialogues without one single drop of emotion in their voices, who strip their bodies to feed some drunk guy's hunger for provoking audiences to hate his movie. Reygadas disappointed me to the point of madness. A boring, retarded exercise of so-called "poetic", "deep", "thought-provoking" scenes put together while on a bad acid trip. The film equivalent of a piece of poop laying over a plate of pasta inside a dumpster where a Tijuana whore with a severe case of herpes and gonorrhea lives with his Uwe Boll-loving redneck husband and their ugly, toothless children, peeing, sleeping and eating in the same place while they listen to reggaeton and wear I <3 George W. Bush t-shirts.

Get it?

Well, Los muertos makes Battle in Heaven look like a masterpiece.
½ July 22, 2009
LETTERBOX. Su apuesta por el naturalismo y el minimalismo es legŪtima, pero se encierra en una jaula de muy pocas (y algo obvias) posibilidades. / Its bet on naturalism and minimalism is legitimate, but it gets inside a cage of very few (and rather obvious) possibilities.
August 14, 2008
Quite a contemplative piece of work. The film opens with a disorientating and ambiguous shot of two bodies in a jungle shot with shallow focus and ends with an equally ambiguous ending. The aesthetic sort of reminds me of Hou and maybe Jia, though with much less action and dialogue. There are some striking images such as the shots of gathering of honey and the slaughtering of the goat. The facets dvd was awful, the film looked like it was shot on digital even though it's 35mm.
May 15, 2008
Really quite an emotional film despite the density of the abstraction. This is really boiled down to the bones and stretched to feature length. It's slow pace the savior, allowing time to interpret the minimalistic plot with every part of your brain. Slower than a Carlos Reygadas film (Japón comes to mind), but also not quite as hypnotizing.
½ May 14, 2008
I'm thankful that I waited a couple of days before trying to compose a few thoughts on "Los Muertos". I was initially disappointed because never returned to the surreal tone of it's opening shot. Then I settled in for something akin to Kinski's maddening jungle explorations. Again, it moved along other paths.Rather, it kept itself as closed and withdrawn as the central character. The lack of explanations or typical "criminal psychology" was initially a stumbling block, but now I'm satisfied with the film's mysteriousness and its general lack of forward motion.

Alonso establishes himself as a voice to listen for in the future. Don't forget to keep the DVD rolling during the credits. The music is fitting.
½ April 3, 2008
Neo realism isn't exactly my thing, so this film didn't immediately strike me. That being said it did have some wonderful images and great scenes, but just make sure you like really hardcore realism before watching.
March 16, 2008
wow. spectacular filming. A tough film to digest. No pun intended.
½ September 29, 2007
Lo mejor que he visto en cine latinoamericano, probablemente.
½ June 30, 2007
Vart mśr etj sanseinnjtrykk t slutt - med en tvist pŚ slutten