Auf der Anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven) (On the Other Side) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Auf der Anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven) (On the Other Side) Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
Another fine, compelling drama from Fatih Akin.
September 25, 2015
I don't know what I'm missing. It was simply okay.
½ May 2, 2015
Interesting film in three parts.
½ January 26, 2014
Haunting, ambiguous, multi-layered
½ September 13, 2013
Interesting, touching, a little bit slow, which might be a good thing, as it gives you time to digest while still watching.
½ September 11, 2013
What a good movie...powerful on so many levels. Frustrating to me how Nejat and Ayten kept missing each other though..
August 4, 2013
This is surely among the best movies I ever seen ...deeply moving story that keeps your attention to the very end ...beautiful screenplay ...superb actors ...a film you wont forget!
July 18, 2013
Children will seldom understand the pains that their parents take in raising them up...or see the consequences... UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE. Wonderful film.
June 30, 2013
Magnificent and staggering. Just watched this film again and was moved, angered, and touched just like the first time. One of the rare works of "world cinema" that truly captures what it means to be a citizen of the new world order. Fatih Akin is a major artist for whom we should await each film with bated breath.
½ May 11, 2013
A number of people started comparing The Edge of Heaven to Babel/Crash and other vertebrate type storylines alike. And even though there is a structural resemblance, the director Akin, a prodigy of immigration himself, makes a movie oozing nostalgia for home; in one thread home is the love of one's life, in another it is the country of origin, in the other one the bosom of a woman, and in another belonging to a cause. Notable mention should be made to the exceptional editing which invariably adds irony and suspense.
½ February 22, 2013
Filled with beautiful, heartfelt performances, "The Edge of Heaven" presents its tale of forgiveness, redemption and reconciliation in a form that is wholly unique and quietly spellbinding. As with a beautiful pointillist painting, the movie reveals its full picture only after we have stood far enough back from it to be able to view it in its entirety. And what a beautiful picture it turns out to be.
January 23, 2013
Just fantastic,...i love the way Akin does the storytelling...!...surprise to see the German actors really did a brilliant job,couldn't ask for more...
January 9, 2013
it's all about getting happy at the end.
½ December 1, 2012
Thoughtfully scripted, highly original and highly meaningful story. Characters are very real and well-acted. The cultural context of the story makes it even more interesting for those not from Europe/Turkey. Does not strive for melodrama like so many other films today.
November 6, 2012
A brilliant film in every way. I can't put my eyes away from the screen it grips me straight away and I stay with it even in more "boring" parts. It has a great parturing - it's told as three connected stories and the characters are super. Fantastic acting tops the film even if mediocre acting really could kill this movie. That's how great this story is. Another thing that is certain is that (once again) the character linking really does it for me.

The filming is lovely. We get so many fine, and some techinical scenes here - the often moving camera is nice. This wonderful film is moving, gripping, emotional and cross-cultural just like "Gegen die Wand". It made a huge impact on me and it will make you think. This truly is it's number one power, and it hit me hard. It got me on the edge of my seat with it's amazing build up. In several ways it's much alike "Gegen die Wand" - that is the first film of this (coming) trilogy - but this one was even better for me.

Definitely a must see - man, I can't find anything that i did not like. That ending scene, whoa, it's beautiful even if you kind of know it's coming. This political, provoking, sad and very real film will stay with me, and i'm looking forward to it.
September 19, 2012
Movies always been a tool of transformation, some take us toward a new world and alternatives realities where we live a wishful thinking and fairytale dreams while some... Well, strip our own reality, they take us through different layers of one world, or society, layers we didn't know they exist or we simply decided to ignore.

In the Edge of Heaven we are dealing with the second kind.

The director/writer Fatih Akin toke us through a journey of people traveled distance through the land and through their own souls, finding what was missing, a soul companion, a cause, a mother, a daughter and a self discovery.

The movie had the multi story telling method as we go alone and see the indirect and direct effect of how each character effected or got effected by the other in a very simple yet beautiful portray by the actors.

On the other hand the directed did not try to hide expressing the anger on some of the political issues that is hidden within the turkish society and government with regards to the kurdish people, we can since the love toward Turkey through the beautiful cinematography of istanbul and the town of
Trabzan.

It is a film that will face you with some of the ugly truth that we come across in our life yet we try to escape, it will ask you to take a pause and think about how small we are but how larger than life our smallest thoughts or decision can be.

Great respect to Fatih Khan and I can't wait to check out his previous or future filmography.
½ September 16, 2012
Didn't really know what to expect with this. Good acting, although sometimes I wasn't sure what was going on all the time. It's interesting to watch the different storylines intersect in some pretty clever ways.
September 8, 2012
Amazing study interweaving personal tradegies with larger political and social events. Fatih Akin plays the role of a true director as he takes us on a drive to the 'other side'. Somehow do not agree with the English title 'Edge of heaven'. The German translation 'on the other side' is far more profound.