State of Play Reviews

• Jul 05, 2019

Fantastic movie. All the actors lives up to their name in this star studded cast. The plot has a lot of twists and turns and keeps you guessing until the very end.

• May 16, 2019

I liked this movie. It may be a bit cliche at times, but it was a well cast and well acted political/investigative journalism movie.

• Mar 18, 2019

It is nothing that we haven't seen before, but State of Play is still a gripping thriller that manages to stand out in a crowded genre. It has great suspense, strong performances, and a story that never quits or runs out of steam. All of these qualities make this well scripted Kevin MacDonald film worth watching.

• Mar 01, 2019

The performances by all these A-list actors were really disappointing. There are some interesting and thought-provoking moments to the film, especially concerning the issue where a paper is constantly toeing the line between yellow journalism and fact in order to remain profitable and the ethical implications of that can be extrapolated from there. The story would have been much better if it wasn't this crime drama genre, and the film would have been much better without the twist ending that left more plot holes than it answered. There are a lot of parts to this film that might have been good, but it just fails to be more than mediocre at the end of the day. I did like the film alright, but it could have been a lot more than the final product.

• Feb 20, 2019

A well paced, well acted political thriller that does a fine job of keeping itself grounded and focussed as it slowly but surely tightens its grip on you. A movie that works as a good piece of cinematic drama.

• Feb 02, 2019

A story well written, and well executed. Much like the acts of the two main characters in this thoughtfully crafted movie.

• Feb 02, 2019

Russel Crowe's performance is terrific: this film deserves viewing only for his acting. Otherwise, it's a pretty ordinary modern thriller movie.

• Nov 17, 2018

I do hand out 5 stars somwtikmes without justification, but this film surprised me. Extremely well acted. A great plot and good script. Crowe, Affleck, Wright, Adams, Mirren, Bateman, Jeff Daniels and basically the entire class delivered fantastic perfirmances. It was thrilling, it was exciting, it was intiguing and it was intelligent. I can't fault it. However, it may have been slightly overstuffed; but I thought this was not an issue. Great movie. Underrated.

• Sep 10, 2018

Solid direction and good cast don't quite make this more than a standard conspiracy thriller; the twist ending disappointingly disavaows any political implications made before.

• Aug 20, 2018

Has a great cast giving great performances but it's a very unfulfilling story that lacks any legitimate political jabs or any absorbing observation about journalism in general.