Chapter 27 Reviews

• May 06, 2019

good movie I wish there was a lot more time to flesh out characters

good movie I wish there was a lot more time to flesh out characters

• Dec 09, 2018

Leto went method for this role, gaining a lot of weight. It worked. He is the embodiment of Chapman. The green splatted tomato throwers are wrong. It is not a terrible movie. It is a well done disturbing descent into a ruptured mind. So many of us, led into churches and houses of worship by our parents, became disillusioned by an invisible, supernatural, hateful god. The Beatles were our Gods. And so we adulated them, followed their every move and copied them. Cringing through most of the film, I teared up at the end when the actual footage of the fans showed the pain mirroring my own at the time...and still today.

• Aug 13, 2018

A slow-burn that feels like the third act of what could've been a full biopic featuring one of Jared Leto's best portrayals. The ending is of course, something many will already be expecting but 'Chapter 27' draws you in via an interesting character study.

• Apr 05, 2018

While the film is mediocre at best, and Leto's performance is merely good enough, the character of Chapman, his mannerisms and ticks, is a fascinating study that can't really fail to captivate. The inevitability is gut-wrenching as we look for potential loopholes to an alternate reality - where could've things gone different? There's a common feeling between a large majority of people that goes like this: what would the world be like if Mark David Chapman didn't kill John Lennon? And for one who thinks too long about it, it can plague them. This film, for it's incredibly limited scope, examines a man whose mind is set. A more daring film would explore the alternate paths ala Run Lola Run, tease us with what could've been. This is straight forward; creepy and uncomfortable.

• Sep 04, 2016

Jared did soo good. :)

Jared did soo good. :)

• Feb 11, 2016

Leto's unsettling performance adds depth to an otherwise depthless movie.

Leto's unsettling performance adds depth to an otherwise depthless movie.

• Oct 29, 2015

Leno throws himself into the character but the script lets him down.

Leno throws himself into the character but the script lets him down.

• Aug 02, 2014

Jared Leto is great as Mark David Chapman. Completely disappears. That being said the movie has a lot of weird things going on within it. Its a good watch and it gets the point across but if you're really interested in the topic there are far more illuminating documentaries on the incident and the man himself. For the record I think Mark David Chapman is a useless fat murdering fuck who stole one of the worlds greatest gifts from all of us. I hope he gets raped in jail daily, killed if released and burns in whatever hell there might be for eternity when he does croak. Because of his epic narcissism we lost a true legend. For that I have no sympathy for his mental state or him in general. Let em rot!

• Aug 01, 2014

Though Leto's performance is to be commended, there's just too much psychological phenomenon that occurred in the real Mark Chapman's mind to be covered in film. The thoughts that metamorphosed from idolising John Lennon to despising and eventually killing him just aren't covered enough to really bring the story to life.

• Jul 17, 2014

A movie about john lennons killer. An unnerving character study. If you're into dark, psychological drama. then its for you.