How to Train Your Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Train Your Dragon Reviews

July 18, 2016
It is so good that I do not know how to describe. It is for sure the very best thing DreamWorks has ever released. It has the highest ratings of any movie I have ever seen. In fact the franchise became so big to DreamWorks that this is the only ones to have a website of its own name rather than going for a sub directory of DreamWorks. Did not regret spending time watching this at all. The part where Hiccup introduces Astrid watering in the flames really gained her impression throughout. Astrid's classical action and lines to Hiccup where she punches him and strikes/kisses him is also memorable. The romantic sky is so beautiful that you will never forget. Toothless is extremely cute. It is such a nice thing to add Astrid into this movie or else I doubt the movie will get at most 75% of this achievement. I feel like in the end I am not watching this series for Hiccup, but for Toothless and Astrid.
½ July 16, 2016
This is great, just great. And I'm not saying that sarcastically! This rocks
July 14, 2016
I absolutely adore this film. I fell head over heels for it. I love the characters. I love the animation. I love the comedy, the drama, the musical score, everything. The emotions are very genuine and the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless is very poignant and very touching. Yes, the story is predictable with many been-done elements, but the way the story is executed and how well-paced it is makes those elements work very well. One thing Dreamworks is good at doing is casting and it clearly shows here. I loved every performance. The way the dragons work is kind of confusing, but how cool the dragons are more than make up for it. The film is, in my opinion, practically perfect. It's my most favorite Dreamworks film next to it's sequel. It's an absolutely stunning, funny, heartwarming, surprisingly intense, action-packed adventure that both kids and adults can enjoy. It's straight up wonderful
½ July 2, 2016
stunning animation thanks to Roger Deakins. It's essentially a story about coming of age and being different at its core.
June 28, 2016
How to Train Your Dragon is inspiring and meaningful. This movie teaches you to take care of the things you love. The plot of this movie is brilliant. I would suggest this movie.
½ June 20, 2016
Deviates from a cliched setup to deliver a fun third act.
½ June 19, 2016
I know most people like this but this movie is garbage and sucks
½ June 18, 2016
One of Dreamworks best films. It is epic, fun, and interesting to see the bond between a boy and a wild creature who turns out to be nice
June 16, 2016
Truly one of the best animated films of all time.
June 11, 2016
DRAGONS. no need to say more
June 2, 2016
Love this film; it's so good. Uplifting and positive. Also, Toothless without a single line is the best character. Period.
May 27, 2016
Joyous. A pure injection of fun via great filmmaking. As bellendy as that sounds...
½ May 26, 2016
Boasts an element that few other Dreamworks films have as of late: A Story!!
May 7, 2016
This is without a doubt dreamworks best animated film yet. It has romance, comedy, and a bit of action in it. It is pretty much good for any type if viewer.
May 6, 2016
How to Train your Dragon demonstrates cliches work if they actually are done with depth and likeability in its characters.
May 5, 2016
Let's just be honest, I have never wanted to see this movie at all. I thought the animations cheap, I thought the storyline is gonna be boring. I never a huge fan of DreamWorks. Because of their style of animation. But let me just tell you this I am dead wrong. By his magnificent scenes magnificent animation and magnificent story I have ever seen. And I always thought that American animation is dead. I've been proven wrong once again by seeing this film. I just want to say this film is beautiful. Vikings theme, with on trusting or not trusting on dragons. Magnificent, I can't say anything else but just magnificent. I am so stupid not talking to myself saying this film but now I did. Funny, Smart, and heartwarming. DreamWorks has a good franchise on its back.. Great movie for all. How to train your dragon is magnificent!!

Grade
A perfect 10
May 1, 2016
Kids won't stop watching the trailer. Gotta see it!
April 22, 2016
How to Train Your Dragon: An Adventure Even for Adults.

When the majority of people hear about an animated movie involving dragons and vikings, they generally believe that it is a children's movie, but in this fire-breathing adventure even parents can't help but be sucked into the story! These days it's hard to find a movie that everyone in the family can enjoy, but How to Train Your Dragon is an exception. With its clever script, heart-racing story, and epic soundtrack, families will be able to enjoy this adventure together.

Our story focuses on a viking teenager named, Hiccup. He is your typical underdog who nobody singles out to be a hero. There's a girl that he longs for, recognition he dreams of, and courage he wishes he had. And in order to get all those things, he has to kill a dragon. This is a "right of passage"to his clan, and Hiccup has yet to prove himself. But during another raid from the dragons he decides to go and show everyone, especially Stoik, the clan leader and Hiccup's father, that he can be a true viking. In the process, he shoots down a dragon. But when he finds it injured, tangled up and helplessly looking at him, he has a change of heart and sets the creature free. During the following days and weeks, Hiccup visits and befriends the injured dragon, and names him Toothless. At the same time, he is put into Dragon School, which sole purpose is to train vikings how to kill dragons. Conflicted by what his people expect and what he feels inside, Hiccup must decide what path he will pursue. Follow in his father's footsteps or continue with his forbidden friendship.

This is a movie that can entertain all generations, not just the youngsters. Some of the one-liners in the script are unforgettable and engaging. An example of this is when Stoik gives Hiccup a helmet to use, and tells him it is half of his mother's breastplate. "Matching set."Stoik says, pointing to his own helmet. In another scene, the viking clan is preparing their attack on the dragon's nest and Stoik says to another viking, "When that mountain cracks open, all heck will break loose." The other warrior replies, "And my undies! Good thing I brought extras!"

Another thing that makes the script clever is the plot. While most movies are predictable with their plot, this one has many loops and twists that continue to engage viewers throughout the entire story. For example, in the film the dragon's island has never been found by any viking, but suddenly while flying around the viking island, Toothless begins flying away and leads Hiccup to the unfindable nest. While on the island, another twist occurs. While they are on the other island, they find an unearthly dragon that no one has ever seen before, that is larger than many viking ships. The ultimate twister though, happens at the end of the story. Unfortunately at the conclusion of the last battle, instead of coming out fine, our hero is injured and handicapped.

One of the things that make this film fantastic is how the music captivates the viewer. The music and the score invoke emotion, excitement, and energy making viewers feel like they are soaring with the fire breathing creatures themselves. Many movies have their own theme songs that instantly bring emotion and feeling to the audience, and composer John Powell does just that with his inspirational piece of music entitled, "Test Drive".

Directors Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders do an excellent job of enthralling the audience with the heart-racing story by different captivating scenes. One example of this is right from the start of the movie. After some brief dialogue, we are thrown into a flurry of fire and yelling as the dragons begin to attack the Viking village. Another example of this is when Hiccup is test flying Toothless, but in the process they stall and begin falling helplessly towards the sea.
This may not be your typical date night action thriller or chick flick, but at least it isn't like watching Teletubbies or Barney. So, if you are looking for a good movie to watch as a family, that will entertain and inspire, this movie is the one for you. Your kids will likely be wanting a stuffed animal dragon for the rest of the month. But in all reality it will be a classic that your children will love watching again and again.
½ April 21, 2016
having finally sat through the entire feature, I am still largely unaware of how to go about training my dragon. there must be better resources on the subject.
April 19, 2016
This is a flawless movie. Enough say.