How to Train Your Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Train Your Dragon Reviews

November 17, 2016
Growing up in the 90's and 2000's allowed for my childhood to be full of animated tales from the likes of Disney, Pixar and DreamWorks, and what a time it was to be alive. Throughout the majority of my childhood, 'The Lion King' remained my favourite animated film, even above the CGI tales like 'Toy Story'. Well that was until 2010, that was the year I saw 'How to Train Your Dragon' which is still as of 2016, my all-time favourite animated film. DeBlois's and Sanders' film takes a daring approach at adding more depth and adult situations that many other animated films avoid, including the (spoiler alert) loss of a character's limb - maybe not every kid's ideal animated tale, well, that's actually all incorrect, as despite the somewhat mature themes (that DreamWorks equally utilised in their other efforts) it's a film that both kids and adults adore.

As mentioned above, the script, loosely based on the book of the same name, is utterly fantastic, finding the perfect subject that is suitable for both adults and children alike. A story of love and family encased in a coming-of-age tale, with dashes of drama, action and comedy. The visuals are stunning with gorgeous animation, and the score is by far one of the finest I've ever heard in any animated film, one that John Powell should be proud of - arguably it should have never lost the Oscar to 'The Social Network'. The characters are all relatable in their own way, with brilliant voice acting, but the greatest 9and probably the most expressive) character is by far Toothless, the feline-like Night Fury dragon. All-in-all, this is an animated masterpiece, one that is a constant flow of riveting and exciting drama.
½ November 11, 2016
How To Train Your Dragon is an okay movie I wouldn't say it's the best DreamWorks movie like what everyone says about it but it's no way the worst as they have been worse DreamWorks films before.
This film has a good story not DreamWorks good but just good, a good set of characters, a great set of cast members, as always for DreamWorks amazingly done animation, some funny jokes and a great soundtrack.
But problems with the film is that the story is a bit cliched I mean not all of the film has cliches but most of the time there was some cliched. Another problem is that not all the jokes were that funny I mean there are some funny jokes but not all of them hit my mark like how they should do but they just don't and I don't get that.
Now that I've now finally have seen all the 2010 DreamWorks animated films I have to say that I find Megamind as my favourite from DreamWorks that year How to Train Your Dragon is in the middle and Shrek forever after is the worst from the year.
Now if I would recommend you watching it or not is a really hard thing to think about I mean if you are a fan of DreamWorks you can give it a shot, fans of Dragons in general can have a go, any fans of the original book the film is based on they can have a shot too but if anyone is not those kind of people then this isn't the movie for you.
I give How to Train Your Dragon a 7.5 out of 10 not a terrible movie but is not a good movie if you want to watch it I'd give it at least one watch before giving your own thoughts on it.
October 31, 2016
characters are not that great
October 30, 2016
What makes this film even more impressive is that it is not similar to the books yet it is still rich in quality.
October 27, 2016
Enthralled by majestic 3Dness! One of DreamWorks' best!
October 26, 2016
great movie with excellent animation , a masterful soundtrack and good voice acting. all around perfect movie in my book.
October 22, 2016
Didn't care for it back then, but looking back at it it's better than the first time I saw it, but is somehow not one of my personal favorites.
October 8, 2016
A joyous affair with a really cute dinosaur. Loved it.
October 6, 2016
Beautiful, touching, funny, and amazing animation! How To Train Your Dragon is very unforgettable that soars a cute story with an outstanding musical score!
October 4, 2016
With flowing animation, breathtaking visuals, amazing voice acting, and a story that will hypnotize you, How To Train Your Dragon is my favorite animated movie of the 21st century. It is different from the book in almost every conceivable way, but it's far better. I read the series as a child, and I can honestly say this movie is superior to its novel counterpart.
October 1, 2016
Brilliant and moving film for a kids flick.
½ September 25, 2016
How could i now know such a movie like this? Thr story is awesome for kids and adult.
September 21, 2016
Perfection in every sense of the word.
September 10, 2016
Beautiful In Every Sense of the World
August 31, 2016
Even though it's only 6 years old, it feels so nostalgic to watch the first film. Maybe it's because it combines some of the best elements of childhood favorites with an added boost of action.
August 21, 2016
How to Train your Dragon is a perfect animated movie. It will make you want to cry, it will make you laugh and it will often keep you at the edge of your seat. Whether it is it's exhilarating action sequences or it's heartwarming and powerful moments, DreamWorks has constructed a polished, detailed and spectacular animated film with a strong cast of characters, jaw-dropping animation, a beautiful score and an outstanding voice cast. A must see gem in the animated film realm.
August 21, 2016
I WANT A DRAGON...I WANT A DRAGON.....GREAT MOVIE
August 11, 2016
Movie love. Terrific, as is HTTYD2. And the flying scenes are beautifully aviation realistic - this observation from a pilot.
August 4, 2016
This film is amazing and it,s got good GGI
July 30, 2016
The best film on Dreamworks Animation's behalf. Well animated, well composed and well paced. It is truly spectacular.