Happy-Go-Lucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy-Go-Lucky Reviews

December 28, 2014
Not really a film with much of a plot--more a character study of two diametrically opposite personalities, who clash over driving lessons. Eddie Marsan is always good! and so is Sally Hawkins.
December 21, 2014
Neat divide on this film between critic scores and fan scores. I think that comes from the level of real human awkwardness that carries almost every scene Was my favorite movie for a long time . . . because I'm awkward and try to let my eccentricities loose in the universe, sort of like Poppy in the movie. Oh, and this film passes the Bechdel test countless times over, in case you like stories in which women are people too.
½ September 11, 2014
I can't believe the audience gives this movie a high rating. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was boring and the story consisted of loose pieces. There's no real red thread (do they call it this way in English?) in the story, other than that she is a cheerful and careless girl.
September 10, 2014
If you had pulled me out Happy-Go-Lucky fifty minutes in and asked me what I thought about it, I would have said that I didn't like it. At that point I had found it unfunny, and I had thought that the main character was kind of insufferable. I know that the point of the character was that she was always happy, but a character needs more depth than that, and she was also remarkably over quirky. I was thinking that film was just going to be about an overtly happy women going through her life with comedic bits added in. Then the film truly surprised me. It started to go into far darker and more poignant territory. It started to put Sally Hawkins character into more realistic and more human situations, and showed how her constantly happy character stood up in the face of anger and human misery. And Sally Hawkins is absolutely brilliant in the bits where her cheery attitude is put to the test. So the fascinating thing here is that while I never found the film funny nor did I stop finding the lead character annoying, I still very much liked the film. It's the first of Mike Leigh's films that I've seen and I'm very interested to see more of his filmography. Happy-Go-Lucky is a comedy that I didn't think was very funny; but I still liked the film and found it very interesting.
September 2, 2014
HAPPY-GO-LUCKY is funny, inteligent and joyful comedy masterpiece by Mike Leigh, nominated for the Academy Award of Best Original Screenplay, very merited. More than a comedy film, a lession of life, a lession of love for life. Sally Hawkins is really enchanting in Mike Leigh's new masterpiece. Now, will be named "1002 Films to See Before You Die" with Happy-Go-Lucky. A wonderful work of art!
August 24, 2014
½ July 24, 2014
½ June 24, 2014
Full of charm, compelling characters & perfect music to match. Sally Hawkins is fantastic in her role.
June 15, 2014
We all have a friend like Poppy. She is a constant reminder to be grateful for the things not everyone has. Happy-Go-Lucky is the feel good movie of the year with just a hint of darkness, which I love.
½ May 26, 2014
Wonderful performances, brilliant (partially improvised) dialogue and directed with the same eye for nuance and behaviour that you come to expect from a Mike Leigh picture. This film is a delight.
May 25, 2014
Great performance by Hawkins. Charming little flick.
May 3, 2014
Mike Leigh is one of the most interesting directors working right now. He's able to balance comedy and drama like almost no one else and he doesn't need to over stylize or rely on fancy camera tricks and movements. He tells simple stories in simple ways and they are deeply rewarding. Sally Hawkins owns this movie with one of the most interesting and charismatic performances i've seen in a long time.
April 26, 2014
This seems to be a real 'Emperor's New Clothes' of a film judging by the reviews. It is neither joyful nor life-affirming. It is a study of anger and slapping on a happy face. Poppy is irritating beyong belief. It will get you talking so is worth seeing for that reason alone but pink and fluffy it is not!
½ March 15, 2014
The movie is about a thirty-year-old teacher Poppy (Hawkins) always has a smile on her face, and does her best to brighten the days of those around her by making small talk and cracking jokes. For the past ten years, Poppy has lived with her best friend, Zoe (Alexis Zegerman), a fellow teacher whose wry outlook on life serves as the perfect counterbalance to Poppy's effervescent charm. Mike Leigh the director of this film always brings that special look to his movie what I mean is movies like this always bore me but this movie didn't.
½ February 28, 2014
One of the worst films I've ever seen. Terrible acting, shallow characters and mediocre scriptwriting. Truly amazed that this has been touted as such a success.
½ February 24, 2014
Sally Hawkins somehow captures a one dimensional character and makes her something special. This movie as a whole isn't that great, but the dialogue and character interaction is rather interesting.
February 13, 2014
Sally Hawkins is a delight to watch.
February 2, 2014
beautiful English drama ... not for everyone though
February 1, 2014
In a just world Eddie Marsan would have easily got the Oscar for best supporting actor for this one. I'll never look at my rear vision mirror in the same way again.
January 16, 2014
Understated British brilliance. Sally Hawkin's character is irritating initially but completely won me over before the end.