Happy-Go-Lucky Reviews

• Feb 20, 2020

Most lovely and thoughtful main character I've ever seen.

Most lovely and thoughtful main character I've ever seen.

• Oct 19, 2019

Reviewed 10.16.19 Writer/director Mike Leigh does indeed have a talent for natural and witty dialogue. Unfortunately critics ignore his weakness in failing to create high stakes, or often even meaningful stories. I understand his stated intent, to write about 'ordinary people,' but accurately capturing day to day life doesn't automatically translate to captivating films. I mean, is your average day movie worthy? His work is distinct but that doesn't mean it's complete. Call him an auteur of the mundane. Thankfully this time his pedestrian plot is rescued by a star-making turn by Sally Hawkins, as the unstoppably upbeat Polly Cross. In almost any other actor's hands, the movie would have been a complete snore fest. But Hawkins irreverent energy and childlike wonderment holds for the entire two hours, and that's saying something. She's the rare actor with a delivery all her own. If you're the type that can appreciate the parts, over the whole, then it's worth a view for her performance alone. It's a fun character, and she completely embodies it. Playing the flip side to Poppy's effervescence is her curmudgeon driving instructor Scott, played to disturbing effect by Eddie Marsan. Their scenes are the only ones with something on the line. Together, they singlehandedly keep this ball of fluff from completely deflating.

• Sep 27, 2019

One of my all time favorite movies!!

One of my all time favorite movies!!

• Nov 26, 2018

Written and directed by the master director of improvisational UK life Mike Leigh, starring Sally Hawkins as Happy-Go-Lucky Poppy which the films opens with her having her bike stolen after coming from a concert. And is close to becoming condescending throughout after meeting a driving instructor.

• Aug 13, 2018

Cute film and a fine performance by Sally Hawkins, but her character is a bit too much of the "Manic Pixie Dreamgirl" trope. It seems at one point that there may be a touch of sadness to her or that she may have a character arc, but in the end, she is still the same happy-go-lucky individual as when the film started. Enjoyable, but inconsequential.

• Jun 02, 2018

So it's a character study of a character who is not always enjoyable to watch. Within that genre, it's pretty good. Sally Hawkins creates this vivid - albeit often grating, embarassing - character. Some unusual stuff comes up for her to deal with and it's all very watchable. 7.1 out of 10

• Jan 23, 2018

en-ra-ha.. Happy-Go-Lucky It takes a lot of effort and a smart writer behind the screen to lead an audience through a 2 hour of journey with just conversations or talkative sequences and addition to that focusing only on a single character which makers tend to fail to do so for the audience may get tired of it but in here Mike Leigh has got it right and it bodes well for the tone of the movie too. Happy-Go-Lucky is, of course a writers work but in here if not for Sally Hawkins it would have been difficult for Mike to pull it off as Sally is everything that the plot, character and the environment that Happy-Go-Lucky seeks. Sally Hawkins steals the show with her rugged, soothing and sometimes funny acts and justifies herself as one of the finest actress in our time.

• Jan 03, 2018

Great fantastic movie starring sally Hawkins . This movie has a lot of heart and I loved this movie, sally Hawkins is phenomenal and i will definitely watch this movie again.

• Apr 23, 2016

"Happy-Go-Lucky" is often funny and lead by a shimmering performance from Sally Hawkins.

• Apr 16, 2016

I almost watched this years ago and ran into again so I figured why not. Poppy is extremely annoyingly happy and spazzy. Which is the point mostly as the story progresses and her happy attitude is tested more and more. Sally Hawkins is very good at being this character and the supporting cast is well acted also.