Carrier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrier Reviews

½ January 1, 2012
A thorough and widely remarkable 10-part documentary about a deployment aboard the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier. An immensely ambitious and encompassing effort, apparently they managed to trim 1600 hours of footage into 10 hours, with themes and character arcs that are nothing but real. This is also a high caliber recruitment tool (the main reason why the Navy would even consider giving the film crew permission to tag along), but it's also damn fine documentary.
December 28, 2010
Another one on Netflix instant watch that would recommend. Never seen a 10 part documentary be this well put together. SOOOO many different people's lives are followed, and I never lost track of who was who.
½ September 2, 2010
We bought this when our son first talked of joining the service. It's an excellent 10 hr documentary of life on a Navy Carrier. Every time I watch it I gain more respect for our service men and women.
½ February 25, 2010
½ December 4, 2009
Filmed entirely aboard the U.S.S. Nimitz, Carrier is a 10 hour, 10 part PBS original documentary presented in film reality genre.

Besides the obvious, offering an insider look at living on an aircraft carrier, the documentary confirms all our deepest fears of the military being a dumping ground for our society's poor and illiterate.

The primary theme I walked away with is that the U.S.S. Nimitz is a large vocational school for those who couldn't get into college, whether it be because of money or making the grade.

Sad indeed, yet timely in the wake of 2 wars where our administration sends hundreds of thousands off to fight expansionist wars around the world.
January 29, 2009
I would have liked to see more exploration of the actual jobs people do on a ship, but this is still a great documentary and by far the best look I've seen into what life is like on a ship.
January 12, 2009
Superb documentary of a deployment-in-the-life of USS Nimitz, a US Navy aircraft carrier. Told from the sides of the many personnel on board, from the captain all the way on down. Particularly impressive is the fact that you get to know the sailors as people, not just another function within a vast community.

No narration, but everything follows perfectly through the stories and opinions of the individuals. The editing is excellent, the seascapes and aerial photography fantastic, and the choice of themes for each episode spot on.

Great series.