Patti Smith: Dream of Life Reviews

• Aug 20, 2018

Interviews and insights from Patti Smith. Listen to her records, her poetry and her books. A complicated artist. A musician's musician. Her message is very clear. Everyone is an artist. Everyone creates. Think for yourself.

• Jun 20, 2017

Not a conventional music doc; more like an experiment, an acquired taste, in tune with the undeniable, almost mystical, power of the one and only Patti Smith's art. The glimpse into the past (through stock footage and narration) isn't enough for the uninitiated (her 2010 memoir "Just Kids" offers much needed insight in this earlier doc's who's and where's), yet Patti's voice spitting out her life wisdom, the frenzied live clips and the intimate moments make this a must-see for fans of this icon.

• Apr 29, 2016

Fond, but meandering and - sometimes frustratingly - sentimental.

Fond, but meandering and - sometimes frustratingly - sentimental.

• Jan 20, 2013

Any true Patti Smith fan will love it

Any true Patti Smith fan will love it

• Mar 24, 2012

femme rock heaven, I love her

femme rock heaven, I love her

• Jan 08, 2012

I remember I watched it on the T.V I can't remember the channel, But I remember I loved it, she has been one of my biggest inspirations in rock history, because she reminds me a lot of Sylvia Plath, Although Sex pistols use to make fun of her, I admire all of her songs, And I believe, 'Horses' is the best album she recorded. But I believe, she deserves, at least, more than 73% (according to her wonderful talent).

Eric B Super Reviewer
    Sep 25, 2011

Speaking as a long-time Patti Smith fan, I was disappointed with this documentary. She and director Steven Sebring -- who worked on the film for 11 years -- were obviously bent on avoiding the usual format of performance clips and fan/musician testimonies, but their own route can be unbearably heavy-handed and pretentious. For every one endearing, human scene (Patti bantering at her parents' house, warming up voices with her band or discussing awkward urination with Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea), there are five dreary passages of incidental footage mixed with ponderous narration and poetry. Smith is consumed with death -- understandable, considering the long list of friends and lovers she has lost (her husband, her brother, Robert Mapplethorpe, Richard Sohl, Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs and more) -- but her endless elegies and solemn gravesite visits turn repetitive and verge on self-parody. We gain zero insight into her creative process or history as recording musician, and an attempted acoustic crooning of Dylan's "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" is an embarrassing reveal of her paltry guitar skills. There is one wholly magical moment, however -- a relaxed, domestic Patti singing to her cat as she lovingly teases it with her hand. This can't be missed. But on the whole, you're better off reading her recent memoir, "Just Kids."

• Jun 06, 2011

Kjedelig film ass. Liker Patti Smith,men huff og huff. Her framstår hun som en tullete teenager.60 års krisa muligens!

• Nov 19, 2010

Punk. Poet. Patti. And a US National Book Award to boot. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/18/patti-smith-national-book-award

• Aug 23, 2010

I really loved this film, cant say any bad word of this. There was left enough space to get close contact of her personality.