Wide Sargasso Sea - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wide Sargasso Sea Reviews

½ September 28, 2015
This was terribly sad. I was expecting to see a romance gone bad when a poor unsuspecting man falls in love with a mad woman. But this was not the case it all. They were both victims to the lies and deception of the people around them. He seemed to drive her to insanity. They could have been so happy had they stayed to themselves. It's heartbreaking.
½ December 20, 2012
something worth a watch for the fans of Jane Eyre
½ March 27, 2011
This prequel to Jane Eyre is a different side of the Bronte canon indeed. Set in Jamaica, this tale of love, lust, and madness is thick with atmosphere. With a resonant score and the steady drum of tension beating at the heart of this film, this small, heated story does what it sets out to do.
July 8, 2010
Dakle, prequel to Jane Eyre. Tuznjikava, kratka BBC dramica. Moze. Sad jos triba pogledat VHSrip - raritetno, erotsko smece iz 1993. koje san jedva nasla i to sa amaterskon (muskon - jednoglasnon) ruskon sinkronizacijon. Veselin se.
½ March 13, 2010
This film is not really my cup of tea. It was solid and i can appreciate it, for the solid acting but in truth the only reason I watched it was because i was bored and it had Rebecca Hall in it who has quickly become one of my favorite actresses. The film is really sort as its a drama that lasts only about 85 minutes in length. In conclusion like i said I can respect and appreciate this film as it is a decent film with good acting from the leads but like I said its not really my type of film.
½ February 3, 2010
Good adaptation. Effective narrative. However, as the book is fundamentally sprung from our subjective interpretations of the characters' subjective reality, a traditional film narrative seems absurd. Yet, I guess a lot of the complexities from the novel are channeled through.
The missed some implicit and explicit layers of the character Amélie. In addition, I don't think Antoinette portrayed madness adequately or as intended by Jean Rhys.
½ October 30, 2009
I like this better than the earlier version with Karina Lombard.
However; both are worth watching.
October 12, 2009
I LOVED IT! I loved the way they shot it. Edward seemed a bit too stiff, though I suppose that is his character. And Rebecca Hall was amazing!
½ May 25, 2009
This namesake adaptation of the novel has chopped the book into two halves and presents the second half-part 2 & 3- as the pre-quel story to the secret that lies in the attic room of Edward Rochester, the hardened heart that Bronte's heroine of olde, Jane Eyre, emabattles later on. In this version, the Main themes of Jean Rhys' book is eveident but not fully captured. There is the eroticism and the alienation, the brroding mood and the exotic beauty of nature, and the nature of man when he feels threatened and compromised. Performance were well done and the attention to detail of the era seem palusible. Nevertheless, most of the dialogue from the book finds its way into the film but not int tha same scenarios as in the book therefore not the ame impact the words would have had ontherwise. Still it is an adequateand sometimes cogent film.
November 12, 2008
Jane Eyre is a favourite of mine but I read this 'prequel' at University and therefore thought it was worth an hour and a half of my time.

This is a classic example of a book not translating well to film. If you've not read the book, but know the story of Jane Eyre then it's definitely worth watching. If you've already read this book then I wouldn't bother.
September 4, 2008
I was a bit shocked by the sex scenes...