Reprise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reprise Reviews

July 27, 2016
In his first film, Trier comes up as a promising director, using a stylish approach to tell this refreshing drama about the literary youth - a film that has some good moments but fails to be more engaging, ending in an optimistic, perhaps too poetic conclusion.
½ June 5, 2016
Strong debut, pulsing with creation, following a pack of west-Oslo youngster with their up and downs, towards love and bookwriting. Moving from the psychosis to normal life is a hard road to go, and Phillips path towards a productive life is the center of the story. Trier makes this a unique film with a catchy soundtrack and lots elements which triggers your interest, woven together in a good story.
½ December 21, 2015
Two 23-year-olds, Erik (Espen Klouman Høiner) and Phillip (Anders Danielsen Lie), dream of becoming successful writers. They idolize the reclusive writer Sten Egil Dahl.When they both try to get a manuscript published, Erik's is rejected. Phillip's, on the other hand, is accepted and he becomes a star of the Norwegian literary scene overnight. Phillip meets Kari (Viktoria Winge), with whom he falls in love after inviting her on a trip to Paris. Six months later, Erik and his friends pick up Phillip at a psychiatric hospital to bring him home after a long treatment for his psychosis that was triggered by his obsessive love for Kari. Erik still hasn't given up his dream, but Phillip isn't able to write anymore, although his friend encourages him to make a new effort. The two friends end up struggling in different directions while love, literary aspirations and self doubt follows them...

This is director Joachim Trier's first feature film and in one way a classic coming of age story, but yet with itīs own unique format and vibe. The dialogue is realistic and so are the interactions between the main characters. Itīs rich with emotional layers, solid character development, good photography and Trier has managed to bring out terrific performances from Espen Klouman Høiner, Anders Danielsen Lie and Viktoria Winge. Particularly Anders Danielsen Lie is outstanding as Phillip and his performances as a man entering a psychosis feels truly real and convincing. I like that the the intensity is broken up several times with silent scenes that still adds some much due to the actors. And the dialogue is minimalistic from time to time. I like as well that Trier put a focus on the importance of friendships and relationships. However, the idea of adding some sort of high speed edit featuring thoughts and imaginary future happenings feels just like an alibi to try to please the younger movie goers which was not really of my liking. I do think that Trierīs second feature "Oslo, 31 augusti" was even better than "Reprise" and would like to recommend that one as well. In that one Anders Danielsen Lie is fantastic.
July 12, 2015
Onaj bolji Trier (kojem se ne zelim posrat u carapu).
July 29, 2014
Reprise is a Norwegian film directed by Joachim Trier. Co-written over the course of five years with Eskil Vogt, it is Trier's first feature-length film. In 2006 it was the Norwegian candidate for the Academy Award for best foreign-language film
May 9, 2014
one of the best movies i have seen in my whole life
Hal
April 1, 2014
Good film. not a 'comedy drama' though--far from it!
October 14, 2013
Showcases the young talent that would come to fruition in the masterful "Oslo, 31 August".
½ June 17, 2013
In "Reprise," the two protagonists are Phillip (Lie), and Erik (Klouman-Høiner), are best friends-young, brash, and struggling writers. Together, they deposit their freshly written manuscripts into a mailbox. Joachim Trier flicks through elaborate visions of 'what could be'- a vibrant introduction, a live-action scrapbook of future memories complete with wry voice-over. We're told that "cult status" beckons, because mainstream celebrity is for losers. Then reality sinks in and deals them both a blow: Erik's novel is rejected, while Phillip's is published to great acclaim - only for a psychotic break to undo him at the height of his success.

Director Joachim Trier, who co-wrote the script with Eskil Vogt, plays with the audience by flipping backward and forward in time. As Phillip and Erik coddle their first manuscripts, Trier speeds forward in time to possible futures. The draw of this film isn't so much in watching them strive, but in glimpsing their daydreams of fame.

"Reprise" has a smart and knowing script, inviting the audience for reflection of their own. Joachim Trier neatly encapsulates that take-on-the-world optimism of unsullied youth. "Reprise" is many things at once: a window into mental illness, obsessive love, the uneasy transition from youth to adulthood, and finally the most intriguing aspect of the story line-fraternal competitiveness. The only real problem with the movie is it doesn't entirely establish a genuine, heartfelt interest in the characters for the audience. Both protagonists' grew up idolizing Norway's greatest living writer, who tells one of them his novel is good and shows promise. In the same sense, the movie itself is good and shows promise, but ultimately falls short of truly compelling. I am probably a bit too critical of this film only because I saw "Oslo, August 31st" (2011) first (a magnificent film), which is the follow up to "Reprise."
June 12, 2013
A very well played out drama about two friends who seek to write books in between life's so many complications. The journeys of the two men are distinct despite the fact that they seem to walk in the same circles. It works well for the film.
February 6, 2013
A refreshing Norwegian film with well drawn characters. The narration adds something a little different to an otherwise relatively normal relationship movie. Highly enjoyable despite some of the less than likable male characters. The look into mental illness alongside the creative journeys of these two writer friends works well and at 1 hr 45 minutes the film does not outstay its welcome.
February 4, 2013
Joachim Trier is my new cruch!
½ January 28, 2013
I, at first, had issues with trusting the director's views. It seemed he would romanticize intelligence. I then realized that he was trying to capture the adolescent mind, which he did very well. He did a good job at making me hate the group of friends and I as turned off to his view on women at first. It was redeemable because I believe that these views were purposely served. I could have done without the book editor and friend getting together at the end. But I did enjoy most of the group of friends eating their words at the end. I really enjoyed both main characters. The director did a really good job at capturing creative insecurity esp. when one is close to several artists/writers. The characters were pretty well-defined, as much as they could be when describing such angst.
January 15, 2013
Refreshing. The narrative is a little convoluted but this makes it all the more interesting and stylistic. It has some great insightful moments that when put together really captures the essence of an age, generation and perhaps life itself.
½ January 8, 2013
2 young writers, with romantic turmoils, alongside new dawn fades and blue monday. It's a curious little film about young love, and random aspirations to write like there heroes.
½ November 16, 2012
A beautiful, poignant gem from Norway that is at once a loving tribute to the French New Wave and a wholly original story that riffs on familiar themes of friendship, romance, madness, and creativity in fresh, stylish ways.
November 15, 2012
Exceptional... If we have movies that leave viewers with similar feelings as Reprise leaves you with; drugs, alcohol or whatever we mortals take to feel high would go out of business...
½ October 5, 2012
A bit too many writerly rhymes in its second half make it feel less honest, but its first half is wonderful.
½ August 16, 2012
For some reason, Norway is extremely strong at independent youth films, somehow they manage not to dim it down to "alt.song+slow motion" or something of the kind. Reprise is a story about fiction and how to connect dots in time and life. Joachim Trier and his film crew uses loads of film techniques and sometimes maybe even overdo it. Nevertheless, excellent. Great light techniques