My Boy Jack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Boy Jack Reviews

October 26, 2011
Very powerful WWI film with great performances by all. Interesting to see Radcliffe has some real acting chops when cut from his Harry Potter casting crutch.
September 24, 2011
A touching story that fails to have much substance.
September 14, 2011
An emotional and thought-provoking exploration of heroism, patriotism, and bravery.
August 18, 2011
Very moving portrait of a young man who aspires to be a warrior during the first world war, but is deemed unable because he has poor vision. His father and him struggle to make his dreams come true. This is quite a strong BBC drama, with a fine performance by Daniel Radcliffe. What works best is the films emotional depth. I'd strongly recommend this feature!
August 6, 2011
I picked it up because Dan Radcliffe was in it, then found out is was a true story about Author Rudyard kipling and family. It was a very good movie.
July 7, 2011
Loved this movie. What a great true story and Daniel Radcliffe was absolutely outstanding in this role. A must see.
May 29, 2011
Kipling's son goes to war, Kipling's son dies. That's it. There's nothing more about this movie. Just have to mention that David Haig was fuckin' awesome in this, the rest was very very average. Still hatin' Carey Mulligan, that crybaby
May 5, 2011
this film is so beautiful I always cry
April 4, 2011
Pretty standard stuff, yet it's an interesting piece of history. Radcliffe is becoming a better actor all the time as well.
½ March 30, 2011
This film ran on "Masterpiece Theater" this fall. It stars Daniel Radcliffe as Jack Kipling, son of Rudyard Kipling, who goes missing at the age of 18 during WWI. Kim Catrall and Keri Mulligan co-star as his mother and sister. The movie is superbly acted, but just too depressing. I'm not sure what them the audience is really supposed to have gleaned after the movie is finished.
February 28, 2011
boring british film.
February 20, 2011
Every young man/woman should view this movie before signing up at the military recruitment office. And every parent should be beside them when they view it. David Haig plays Rudyard Kipling who is a propaganda writer for the British government running up to WWI. His only son becomes enamored of all the patriotic flag-waving and yearns to "join up" to fight for freedom and preserve his country. His father is right behind him and pushes the boy (only 17 years old) to enlist even though he wears glasses and is severely myopic. When Daddy calls in a favor from a retired military honcho the boy is taken into the Army's officer training school. After he successfully completes his training he is assigned a squad and scheduled to go to France. He asks his father to send his permission to go off to war since he's under 18 (which the proud father does immediately). The consequences of both their actions comes home and shatters the family for the rest of their lives. The main moral of this story is that war continues, patriotic propaganda continues, and young people are maimed/killed due to sloppy leadership, shoddy weapons and incorrect decisions. And it is such a waste....
½ February 14, 2011
A wonderfully written film, the ending was a little cheesy but still really worth watching. The acting was superb by all.
February 13, 2011
I'm actually impressed since Daniel Radcliffe's other movies i hear arent very good, but this movie is decent, although I dont think its much of a war movie, should be categorized as just drama. Follows the life of the parents of John Kipling (Radcliffe) after he goes missing in WW1, its entertaining, if you're not in the mood for a an action packed film, at times it can be quite slow though, and i think some scenes are unneeded, I'll give it an average score of 6.5/10
½ February 9, 2011
Very impressive movie about Rudyard Kipling's son going off and went missing in the Great War. Daniel Radcliffe did a wonderful job.
January 17, 2011
I was surprised by this movie. When I saw it was a BBC movie, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The actors were very good and the story was touching.
January 15, 2011
Wow, didn't see that coming. Radcliffe can actually act. I was just wondering, might he ever have a role where he doesn't have to wear glasses? He has so gorgeous eyes. I laughed out loud, when he appeared with his mustache, so funny. But I have to say that, unfortunately the movie doesn't offer anything new. It was very well directed, but still missing something.
January 12, 2011
Sad but interesting piece of history.
January 10, 2011
Daniel Radcliffe was fantastic. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for anything else about this movie. I felt like I was watching PBS. Skip this one unless you're a die-hard Radcliffe fan.
½ January 7, 2011
Depressing, a long, hard stare into the catalogue of stupidity that was the first world war. Still, Daniel Radcliffe is solid as the son who takes Rudyard Kipling's jingoism into the trenches, and holds his stiff upper lip right up to the end.