Northanger Abbey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northanger Abbey Reviews

½ February 17, 2017
A nice romantic comedy from Jane Austen, the movie suffers from being too short, as it has a rushed feel, and in particular an abrupt ending. But Felicity Jones and JJ Feild are excellent, as are others in the cast, and it holds together well enough.
½ June 2, 2016
A great period drama adapted from a well loved Austen novel.
May 19, 2016
Typical Jane Austin.
½ February 1, 2016
A little course. And the lead is not quite as sympathetic as other Austen heroines. But still very good. Excellent performances from the other principle characters.
December 31, 2015
Northanger Abbey I think suffers from not being as sexy as Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Henry Tilney is no brooding,desirable Mr. Darcy. However I think this film does a good job romance wise in making Henry Tilney the Good Guy Next Door, sweet and dependable, a little dorky at times. Isabelle despite her gold digging flaws was forgiven because I want a friend that would recommend wildly inappropriate books with that air of secrecy and Cheshire Cat grin. Maybe that is one reason I like this movie, it is about the adventures of a Reader of Romances.
½ December 10, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable Austen romance with a light, frothy touch. Stellar performance, particularly from Felicity Jones, and lovely scenery.
October 24, 2014
I really enjoyed this, especially having recently read the book. It is good adaptation for the screen, nicely vamping up the spoof Gothic scenes to emphasise Jane Austen's comic writing. I think Andrew Davies wrote the script and did a pretty good job. The cast is pretty good to :)
June 26, 2014
I greatly enjoyed this movie - it was beautiful, sweet and touching...:) Plus, the actors were totally unknown to me which made the story even more believable...:) Two thumbs up!:)
½ June 10, 2014
Nicely done period piece.
½ May 12, 2014
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And you?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Well, if I am to retain my father's favor, I must marry a fortune too."
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And shall you?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "I had always hoped that I would be lucky, the girl I fell in love with
would come with a fortune attached."
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And if she should not?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Then, that would be a very stern test of my character."

I initially sought this film out because I loved J.J. Feild in "Austenland" and he was wonderful in this one as well (I still preferred his portrayal of Henry Nobley but his Mr. Tilney was adorable too). I also love Felicity Jones who plays the main protagonist, Catherine Moreland. She has the most innocent and angelic face; I loved her in "Cheri" and "The Tempest". She and Field have beautiful on-screen chemistry. The story was cute. I liked that Catherine was a bit more demure and less brash or opinionated than the usual Austen heroine, like Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse; I mean, don't get me wrong I also love Lizzie Bennet because she's bold and a strong-willed woman but there was just something so appealing about Catherine's naivetÚ. Plus, one can't help but identify with Catherine especially when she day-dreams all those silly situations. What girl hasn't done that? It makes you reminisce and laugh at yourself in a way for being so foolish once upon a time. This film has become an instant favorite with me and I can't wait to read the because I absolutely adored Mr. Tilney; he's probably even better love-interest than Mr. Darcy! So, in short, I love this film: love the story, loved the cast and loved the ending....love, love, love, love, love.
April 23, 2014
Wonderful performances and beautiful storytelling!
½ September 9, 2013
A nice bit of fluff with likeable leads
½ July 12, 2013
Tolle Cast und so sch÷n gruslig und romantisch :) Northanger Abbey ist zwar nicht mein Lieblingsbuch von Jane Austen, aber die Verfilmung ist echt gelungen!
½ June 1, 2013
A missed opportunity to touch hearts and minds.
thmtsang
June 1, 2013
Catherine is a hopeless romantic with a vivid imagation that gets her in all sorts of trouble.
½ April 30, 2013
Not the best Jane Austen film that I have ever seen. It was a nice movie, though. Just not very memorable....
February 24, 2013
My favourite book! But I haven't seen this!! Whyyyy?
January 5, 2013
I haven't read the book yet, but I like this movie.
December 3, 2012
great cast. i could feel there pain.
October 21, 2012
I know many people have told me that Pride and Prejudice is an amazing film, a film based on Jane Austen's book. But when I have to pick my favourite film based on Jane Austen's books' collection, I would choose Northanger Abbey, there were enough drama and romance, I loved it. It inspired me to read the book, I loved the story, the cast, everything, and mostly I liked the old British language.