Northanger Abbey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northanger Abbey Reviews

½ June 2, 2016
A great period drama adapted from a well loved Austen novel.
May 19, 2016
Typical Jane Austin.
½ February 1, 2016
A little course. And the lead is not quite as sympathetic as other Austen heroines. But still very good. Excellent performances from the other principle characters.
December 31, 2015
Northanger Abbey I think suffers from not being as sexy as Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Henry Tilney is no brooding,desirable Mr. Darcy. However I think this film does a good job romance wise in making Henry Tilney the Good Guy Next Door, sweet and dependable, a little dorky at times. Isabelle despite her gold digging flaws was forgiven because I want a friend that would recommend wildly inappropriate books with that air of secrecy and Cheshire Cat grin. Maybe that is one reason I like this movie, it is about the adventures of a Reader of Romances.
½ December 10, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable Austen romance with a light, frothy touch. Stellar performance, particularly from Felicity Jones, and lovely scenery.
October 24, 2014
I really enjoyed this, especially having recently read the book. It is good adaptation for the screen, nicely vamping up the spoof Gothic scenes to emphasise Jane Austen's comic writing. I think Andrew Davies wrote the script and did a pretty good job. The cast is pretty good to :)
June 26, 2014
I greatly enjoyed this movie - it was beautiful, sweet and touching...:) Plus, the actors were totally unknown to me which made the story even more believable...:) Two thumbs up!:)
½ June 10, 2014
Nicely done period piece.
½ May 12, 2014
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And you?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Well, if I am to retain my father's favor, I must marry a fortune too."
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And shall you?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "I had always hoped that I would be lucky, the girl I fell in love with
would come with a fortune attached."
Catherine Moreland (Felicity Jones): "And if she should not?"
Mr. Tilney (J.J. Field): "Then, that would be a very stern test of my character."

I initially sought this film out because I loved J.J. Feild in "Austenland" and he was wonderful in this one as well (I still preferred his portrayal of Henry Nobley but his Mr. Tilney was adorable too). I also love Felicity Jones who plays the main protagonist, Catherine Moreland. She has the most innocent and angelic face; I loved her in "Cheri" and "The Tempest". She and Field have beautiful on-screen chemistry. The story was cute. I liked that Catherine was a bit more demure and less brash or opinionated than the usual Austen heroine, like Elizabeth Bennet or Emma Woodhouse; I mean, don't get me wrong I also love Lizzie Bennet because she's bold and a strong-willed woman but there was just something so appealing about Catherine's naivetÚ. Plus, one can't help but identify with Catherine especially when she day-dreams all those silly situations. What girl hasn't done that? It makes you reminisce and laugh at yourself in a way for being so foolish once upon a time. This film has become an instant favorite with me and I can't wait to read the because I absolutely adored Mr. Tilney; he's probably even better love-interest than Mr. Darcy! So, in short, I love this film: love the story, loved the cast and loved the ending....love, love, love, love, love.
April 23, 2014
Wonderful performances and beautiful storytelling!
½ September 9, 2013
A nice bit of fluff with likeable leads
½ July 12, 2013
Tolle Cast und so sch÷n gruslig und romantisch :) Northanger Abbey ist zwar nicht mein Lieblingsbuch von Jane Austen, aber die Verfilmung ist echt gelungen!
½ June 1, 2013
A missed opportunity to touch hearts and minds.
thmtsang
June 1, 2013
Catherine is a hopeless romantic with a vivid imagation that gets her in all sorts of trouble.
½ April 30, 2013
Not the best Jane Austen film that I have ever seen. It was a nice movie, though. Just not very memorable....
February 24, 2013
My favourite book! But I haven't seen this!! Whyyyy?
January 5, 2013
I haven't read the book yet, but I like this movie.
December 3, 2012
great cast. i could feel there pain.
October 21, 2012
I know many people have told me that Pride and Prejudice is an amazing film, a film based on Jane Austen's book. But when I have to pick my favourite film based on Jane Austen's books' collection, I would choose Northanger Abbey, there were enough drama and romance, I loved it. It inspired me to read the book, I loved the story, the cast, everything, and mostly I liked the old British language.
½ October 16, 2012
The Nineteenth Century Equivalent of Slash Fiction

This is in fact the second version of this in the library's collection, which is why we're getting to it so late. I didn't want to do two at once, after all. However, I did not review the first one at all, and that isn't because it isn't in the system, which I didn't know until today. No, it's because the other one was so very bad that I turned it off. For some reason, IMDb does persist in telling us where else the costumes of things were used, but the costumes from that one would have stood out here as not being anywhere near as good. The sets were fine. The filming was that old BBC style, where it was clear that they used different cameras inside and out. What finally made me turn it off, however, was that the music was both bad and anachronistic. It sounded, in short, like the Soft Jazz station I listened to for a couple of years of my childhood, and that isn't Jane Austen at all.

Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) is a girl of no particular fortune. Her parents (Gerry O'Brien and Julia Dearden) have a whole brood of children, none of whom are particularly attractive. But Catherine, out of all probability, grows to be something like pretty. She is also addicted to reading the dreadful gothic novels so popular at the time. She is invited to Bath by family friends Mr. and Mrs. Allen (Desmond Barrit and Sylvestra Le Touzel), who have no children of their own. Catherine is thrust into society, where she befriends first Isabella Thorpe (Carey Mulligan) and then Eleanor (Catherine Walker) and Henry (JJ Feild) Tilney. Their father, General Tilney (Liam Cunningham), invites Catherine to come stay with them in the family home, Northanger Abbey. It is a large, foreboding building, and the general is so unpleasant a person and Catherine so obsessed with her novels that she immediately decides that it is haunted and the general killed his late wife.

As with all Austen, the important thing to keep track of is who has money. I must admit that I missed some of it, and so some of the plot was a bit confusing to me until I got it all figured out again. Yes, her novels are romances, but they are very much of their time for all that. Jane Austen was concerned with Class, that most British of subjects. In American fiction of the same general ilk, not that there really was such a thing at the time, the servant-girl might conceivably rise in station and marry the heir of the manor. That does not happen in Austen; like as not, the servants don't even get names most of the time. The least a heroine can be is impoverished but genteel; presumably, the family had money somewhere previous, and there is a reason it does not anymore at the time the story starts. This is only reasonable, given when and where she was writing, but it is the one thing I find most tedious about Austen, this concern of who has how much money a year.

Still, the story reminds us, it could be worse. Catherine is completely willing to believe that Northanger Abbey is haunted, when Henry implies ominously that it has its secrets, but at least she is able to draw the line at believing that there are vampires. She has been reading so much of the wrong kind of fiction that she has suffered from a certain kind of rot of the imagination. For better or worse, at least the kind of stories that Jane Austen wrote were grounded in reality. Oh, there are plenty of problems with believing too much in them; you don't want to hear my rant about what, exactly, is wrong with the kind of books popular among girls. (Seriously--is there any girl in the last thirty years who didn't have a group of friends on a V. C. Andrews kick at one point or another?) Indeed, arguably Catherine would have been more prepared for life if she'd read Austen; she would have known then how serious her lack of a fortune was in certain circles. Probably how to tell if she was in one, too.

In the end, Catherine's flaw is only partially how many gothic novels she reads. Part of the problem is that her parents, for whatever reason, sheltered her from reality. No wonder those novels were so interesting to her; it was better than another afternoon of playing cricket (or baseball, apparently) with her siblings. I do so hope that Catherine was able to provide those younger siblings with a little grounding in reality, whether they read novels or not. I have not, I confess, read much Austen. It's on my list, but my list of books to watch is actually longer than my list of movies to read, and neither list ever gets any shorter. And even I am not mad enough to try a book project akin to the movie project that's got me watching [i]Northanger Abbey[/i] in the first place. It's all those afternoons wasted reading V. C. Andrews, I guess. Why couldn't my friends have been obsessed with Jane Austen and the BrontŰ sisters instead? Though I suppose someone might have expected me to finish [i]Wuthering Heights[/i] in that case.