La Roue (La Rose du rail) (The Wheel) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Roue (La Rose du rail) (The Wheel) Reviews

May 2, 2008
at 4.5 hours, its a little long but it is a still example of early filmmaking. abel gance was an extremely versatile and head of his time director. in that respect, it is interesting to watch his editing style and use of different methods tha tare still used to day. the movie was epic. kind of like birth of a nation, not the most enjoyable thing but worth watching for historical reasons
April 27, 2008
While I have a great respect for Gance, the length of this film is absurd for the small amount of relatively uninteresting story. Some shots are well-done, but I could have watched two excellent pictures in the time it took to watch this one bland one.
½ April 16, 2008
Look for this exhaustively translated and restored 4 1/2-hour silent French classic on Turner Classic Movies and DVD in late spring 2008. It's a tough romance to wrap your head around, considering that the heroine's three potential love interests are: her father, her brother and a greedy aristocrat. But it astonishes me how well the filmmaking style itself hold up 85 years later.