Purple Violets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Purple Violets Reviews

October 17, 2016
Another romantic comedy from Ed Burns. Just like the rest pretty watchable.
March 22, 2016
The title gives it away - there's something nice about this movie that is continually bulldozed by somewhat repetitious, cliched and predicable characters and storyline .A rather dreary woman and man and their rather limited schoolfriends are catapaulted into vague success by the scriptwriter whilst singers say the most unlyrical things to music. The tepid water gradually drains from the bath in the required time without a gurgle at the end - This is like an 80s version of The Love Boat set in 2007 - . It will be interesting to check out Burns' other movies on DVD where the meat of movies like this can be extracted in 5 minutes of zipthrough with the mouse.
August 16, 2015
Top-notch Eddie Burns. Solid writing and terrific cast.
½ May 24, 2015
0 stars. I'm kinda surprised this movie has such good reviews. I feel nothing for it at all. The script is filled with banal cliches about "writers" and "good writing," and all the women are either one-dimensional damsels in distress or one-dimensional heinous bitches. Pacing of the second act is too abrupt. Patti breaks up with Brian cuz she needs space, then they get back together without so much as a fade-out.
May 3, 2015
Another enjoyable Edward burns movie :)
November 11, 2013
It was a realistic tale in my eyes about reconnection and forgiveness. What I found most realistic is the portrayal of the broken marriage.
September 13, 2013
Excellent film. Burns has a unique and original voice for romance. The film is touching and sensitive. There are unexpected twists and turns in a story that I could not predict at all. I never knew this film existed until now in 2013. On the downside, I'd say it moves a bit slow for the first half with musical interludes and yet they are well placed and make sense. But in a world of short attention spans and desensitized audiences I can see how this film may have been passed over. It is worth seeing and has a lot to say. It's not just about writers and writing. It's about second chances in a deeply powerful way.
August 13, 2013
I loved this film... The entire movie felt like a guilty pleasure that I could watch and watch again countless times. The cast were all remarkable in their roles. Two-thumbs up for the overall plot and story.
March 17, 2013
I have seen better Edward Burns movies. He has turned into a regular Woody Allen without the campy humor.
February 19, 2013
This was good. I usually find Edward Burns's movies pretty boring, but somehow end up watching them anyhow because they have a good cast. This one was a big improvement, soundtrack is excellent, and a story and characters I could actually relate to for once.
½ February 6, 2013
I like Edward Burns' film making style and Purple Violets is no exception. It's a slow moving portrait of college relationships revisited and despite the cookie cutter clean ending it's actually quite satisfying to have the characters happy and paired up by the end credits. My one problem was Donal Logue's accent which was absolutely appalling, why he couldn't just talk normally I do not understand. His character's marriage to Patti (Blair) also lacks believability as apart from being told 'remember how in love we used to be' we are not given any reason to believe or see a connection and love between the two. On the whole a neat little film that doesn't aim too high.
February 3, 2013
I like this film, it's a great reminder as to why relationships really suck. William Faulkner was right the first time, when he said that man is a weak creature incapable of rising above his selfish needs. We see a touch of that in all the pathetic relationships shown here.
December 28, 2012
Writers live very different lives than everyone else. It makes them perfect characters for movies.
½ October 15, 2012
Purple Violet captures a generation of unhappiness through the eyes of middle age professionals. Whilst the film captures the attention of the viewers by having a strong cast, the weak story line is constantly saved by the good soundtrack. I relate to the story line and I wanted more from the film. Whether it was the poor combination of comedy and romance, or the unrealistic moments throughout the film, I felt that film fell way short of the mark. Apart from the on screen performance, Purple Violet was innovative via releasing straight to iTunes.
August 17, 2012
Likable for some reason.
June 16, 2012
typical Edward Burns melodrama but it has likable performances. Burns seems to be growing into a great independent filmmaker, the only real weak link is Logue in a thankless role.
½ June 1, 2012
It says this was a romantic comedy but it was a little short on the comedy part. Good story though.
February 29, 2012
I like Edward Burns and his movies. I dig his stride. And he is so honest.
January 12, 2012
LOVED this movie! I also love Edward Burns, but what a great movie! And what a great cast - love Patrick Wilson in this film!
December 3, 2011
Another fantastic film by Ed Burns. Great cast and well acted. Nicely shot. the story is great. Worth seeing.