Purple Violets Reviews

• Dec 19, 2016

There is something really easy going and beautiful about this film that makes me want to watch it year after year.

• Aug 24, 2016

Another romantic comedy from Ed Burns. Just like the rest pretty watchable.

Another romantic comedy from Ed Burns. Just like the rest pretty watchable.

• Mar 22, 2016

The title gives it away - there's something nice about this movie that is continually bulldozed by somewhat repetitious, cliched and predicable characters and storyline .A rather dreary woman and man and their rather limited schoolfriends are catapaulted into vague success by the scriptwriter whilst singers say the most unlyrical things to music. The tepid water gradually drains from the bath in the required time without a gurgle at the end - This is like an 80s version of The Love Boat set in 2007 - . It will be interesting to check out Burns' other movies on DVD where the meat of movies like this can be extracted in 5 minutes of zipthrough with the mouse.

• Aug 16, 2015

Top-notch Eddie Burns. Solid writing and terrific cast.

Top-notch Eddie Burns. Solid writing and terrific cast.

• May 03, 2015

Another enjoyable Edward burns movie :)

Another enjoyable Edward burns movie :)

• Nov 11, 2013

It was a realistic tale in my eyes about reconnection and forgiveness. What I found most realistic is the portrayal of the broken marriage.

• Aug 13, 2013

I loved this film... The entire movie felt like a guilty pleasure that I could watch and watch again countless times. The cast were all remarkable in their roles. Two-thumbs up for the overall plot and story.

• Apr 28, 2013

Excellent film. Burns has a unique and original voice for romance. The film is touching and sensitive. There are unexpected twists and turns in a story that I could not predict at all. I never knew this film existed until now in 2013. On the downside, I'd say it moves a bit slow for the first half with musical interludes and yet they are well placed and make sense. But in a world of short attention spans and desensitized audiences I can see how this film may have been passed over. It is worth seeing and has a lot to say. It's not just about writers and writing. It's about second chances in a deeply powerful way.

• Feb 06, 2013

I like Edward Burns' film making style and Purple Violets is no exception. It's a slow moving portrait of college relationships revisited and despite the cookie cutter clean ending it's actually quite satisfying to have the characters happy and paired up by the end credits. My one problem was Donal Logue's accent which was absolutely appalling, why he couldn't just talk normally I do not understand. His character's marriage to Patti (Blair) also lacks believability as apart from being told 'remember how in love we used to be' we are not given any reason to believe or see a connection and love between the two. On the whole a neat little film that doesn't aim too high.

• Feb 03, 2013

I like this film, it's a great reminder as to why relationships really suck. William Faulkner was right the first time, when he said that man is a weak creature incapable of rising above his selfish needs. We see a touch of that in all the pathetic relationships shown here.