Ballast Reviews

• Mar 07, 2017

Blistering indie about a kid drawn in by a drug gang, his mother trying to juggle working and keeping her son from the drug culture, all within the quiet of rural Missouri bleakness. A bit confusing at the start, and a missed opportunity to be elliptical in the end, it never lags, and it draws you in to the point you can't look away. These pensive characters offer unspoken complexities, and a part of you knows this is thinly veiled reality. The organic nature of the narrative its almost stunning to observe. Tho not as intensely volatile as Winter's Bone w Jennifer Lawrence - a MUST SEE - but with the same style and veracity. There is also a measure of New Jersey Drive gang mentality thrown in, and no one is safe. A solid work from a first time director. 4 out of 5 coldly overcast souls

• Jan 11, 2014

The prevalent theme is the feeling of sadness. But there are many other minute details of the hard and rough life, broken relations, gangs, drugs and violence. All the people in the films are totally non-professionals. There is no use of background music and no artificial lighting either. The deserted lackluster landscape and surroundings add to the feeling of sadness of the characters themselves. Above all it is also a profound character study.

• Aug 04, 2013

Intricate, detailed and beautifully filmed. You are captivated by the images and dark colours from the opening scene leaving you to thirst for more. The depth of the characters and the performances from the cast pulls you right in. A near perfect drama.

• Apr 24, 2013

i guess it might have been pretty good movie, but it somehow didnt touch me..

i guess it might have been pretty good movie, but it somehow didnt touch me..

• Aug 21, 2012

A "searing, subtle and contemplative debut"? Maybe, if you're a white critic plagued by some sense of suburban white guilt and too scared to say "It's boring, and the characters are annoying." Beautifully shot, though.

• Jun 22, 2012

Heartbreaking and realistic. Watching this, it's hard to believe that we all live in the same country. That people like this live out their lives underneath the very same nation we are a part of. Anyway, this film is so understated and so well-done and so disturbing and surprising, it's a shame if you don't see it. So go see it.

• Jun 12, 2012

If you're a fan of David Gordon Green or the Dardenne brothers, you should see this right now. Amazing cinematography.

• Jun 09, 2012

(****): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] A truly engaging film. Well-acted.

• Nov 11, 2011

Much more effective when it's working through silence than through dialogue, mainly because the nonprofessional actors aren't equipped to handle it.

• Nov 08, 2011

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a film as raw as "Ballast". The image, the story, the performances', all vivid and true to reality. "Ballast" has a fuse a mile long, leading to a puff of smoke, instead of a blast of TNT. It's such a drastic change from what I'm use to seeing in cinema that I have to appreciate it (as well as enjoy it), despite it running slow at times. It's only an hour and a half long, but when you're dealing with reality-based characters in a reality-based environment you're bound to become bored like the characters every once and a while. With that being said I must go back and emphasize... the uniqueness of "Ballast" is worth the watch. You're going to be hit in the face by a soft squishy little hand of normalcy and minimalism, but it's worth experiencing... and admiring.