Hollywood Cavalcade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollywood Cavalcade Reviews

½ August 18, 2011
This film is a lot better than I was expecting! Molly (Faye) is a new-coming Broadway actress, who is discovered by soon-to-be-big Hollywood director Mike (Ameche). They go straight-away to the golden city, and have a series of hits together. But when Molly marries her co-star (Curits), a jealous Mike ends their friendship. Is this turn of events going to be successful? Honestly, I didnt have high hopes for "Hollywood Cavalcade". I had only recorded it for a cheery Technicolor comedy: I watch those every once in a while just to get me smiling. Though it was not was I was expecting, that is seriously not a bad thing. This movie is anything but funny or cheery, but is in fact, dramatic and sad. The first 45 minutes are nice, with some witty scenes, some fun appearances by Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle, and especially a great use of color. But after that, it gets depressing. It seems it goes from one tragedy to the next and doesn't even go the way the bouncy Technicolor movies usually went. It shows a (very dramatic) good example of the real world and proves not every second of the day is happy. With a happy ending, this movie is the perfect cake, and Faye and Ameche are the icing. Faye really gives her best performance here. There's many situations where she has to cry and she does a knock-out job. She is never over the top and in the meantime impressed me quite a bit. I didnt know she had this much acting talent! Ameche also proved me wrong-- I knew he was a good actor, but I never thought he could carry out a role so well. He's actually really convincing as the Hollywood director, and the famous downward-spiral routine he does is well-done. Irving Cummings directs an unusual memorable one here folks! "Hollywood Cavalcade" is really good. Recommended.
jjnxn
½ July 21, 2010
Hoary old chestnut in dazzling Technicolor is a thinly veiled account of Mack Sennett"s rise and fall. He was involved in the production in a minor capacity. Alice doesn't even sing.
June 9, 2010