The Secret (Si j'étais toi) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret (Si j'étais toi) Reviews

January 4, 2015
An interesting concept about soul swapping (something I've only learnt recently, referred to in the paranormal world). An interesting movie too.
January 4, 2014
..ok, this was weird.
½ November 4, 2013
Despite its talented cast, who really are wasted here, this film comes across more like a Lifetime movie rather than a theatrical release. Basically the story is how a mother and daughter connect through "supernatural" means. They're in a car crash and Hannah dies after Sam starts flat-lining, or something. Before Hannah dies, however, her soul is sort of transferred into Sam's body. Now Hannah has to go through life stuck in her daughter's body and she gets to live vicariously through Sam and do the things she never got to do when she was younger. This, of course, puts a strain on Ben and Hannah's marriage, because they can't exactly carry on as if nothing happened. So it's a fine idea, but the execution is certainly lacking. The problem is that this is a movie meant to show that the connection between a mother and a daughter is, as cheesy as this fucking sounds, stronger than life and death. Yet, other than the fact that Hannah got to read Sam's diary, there's never that sense that Hannah got to really know her daughter better than she did before. If anything, the movie's much more about Hannah getting to live the life she always wanted to, but couldn't. And I'm not sure that's the type of story you want to tell with this movie. It just dilutes the original point the film is trying to make by inserting in some subplot that really isn't even necessary. I understand this subplot might give the film a little "diversity" but, again, it sort of dilutes the point the film ends up making. And the thing with Hannah and Ben still having this relationship, even though Hannah's spirit has inhabited her daughter's body, had a lot of potential to explore the complications it poses on their marriage, but they miss the boat on that too. It basically becomes Ben fathering Hannah. I just think the movie was a little afraid to go the extra mile and really make their relationship awkward. There should've been teases here and there, just to put the audience on their feet. It would've been awkward but that should've been the intention, and it would've been a little more interesting than what we got here. It was a movie that was afraid to take chances really, and it chose to go the safe route. The last act of the movie is certainly sentimental and it really tries to make you see how these two people grew closer to each other. But it just really doesn't work. There's this moment where Hannah, in Sam's body, tells Sam, through a videotape, that Sam made her want to be a better person. And at any moment in the film do you see this for it to have any real emotional resonance. What about Sam made her want to be a better person? There's nothing that she can point to, and that's the problem. You're not given a reason to believe Hannah's words and because of that, a lot of the movie ends up feeling pointless. There's no reason to care for any of these characters they're one-dimensional and uninteresting. The movie has a decent cast but its look and execution definitely scream TV movie to me.
February 22, 2013
This freaky Friday movie gets a little too freaky when a mother dies and goes into her 16 year old daughters body. It would have been better without the icky factor of the mother in the daughter trying to have sex with the dad.
November 25, 2012
The film handles a number of difficult subjects very honestly and in a straightforward manor that definitely improves the overall impact. The aspect of transference isn't given some elaborate sci-fi explanation, it just happens and we have to deal with it just like the characters. Another positive is that Duchovny's character doesn't just accept what has happened to his wife/daughter because she tells him it is so, nor does he just suddenly come to believe it for no apparent reason. He does his research and gradually comes to a logical, if not entirely explainable conclusion. The film also deals with the aspect of sexual tension very honestly, taking what would certainly be an awkward situation and avoids the titular/controversial route, which in this day and age would be the normal thing to do. All the leads do a fantastic job, especially Olivia Thirlby, whose past appearances have been well done but in this case puts in a performance that can jumpstart a great career. "The Secret" is a brutally honest presentation of a story that needs to be told this well in order to be believable. I may have enjoyed it a little more than most, and though I have never seen the original Japanese version or read the book, I can certainly recommend this one for a solid evening's entertainment.
August 27, 2012
Duchovny's wife and daughter are critically injured in a car wreck and his dead wife returns in his daughter's body...or is it her? Or is it really his daughter? Or is it both? Who knows? Who cares? A waste of time for anybody other than either David's fans or people who have seen EVERY OTHER MOVIE EVER MADE!!! But as bad as Duchovny's acting always is, he seems to actually try with this piece of shit he's given. Remember...he agreed to it
June 19, 2012
Deus do céu, esse filme é muito ruim. Uma história completamente sem pé nem cabeça, cheia de pessoas egoístas, e coisas sem sentido, mas apesar de tudo o começo tinha tudo pra ser um filme bom! >.<
June 18, 2012
April 10, 2012
i give it 4 because it was HIGHLY interesting...but rather confusing toward the end....i didnt much care for the ending. Although the plot was great lots of twists and was just hard to figure out where it was all going...and then came the end...and it left you just happened? Thats IT? COME ON!!!! but its worth seeing as long as you only pay 1$!!!!!(go to a NOT pay full price)
½ March 19, 2012
This movie is rather disturbing. There is something off-putting about a father and daughter sharing such a physical relationship because the daughter's body is haunted by the spirit of her mother. I did like the resolution in the end, but overall the whole movie was bothersome.
March 11, 2012
Redeemed only by an amazing performance from Olivia Thirlby when possessed by her mother, The Secret is dismally similar to far too many films, including family dramas like Freaky Friday. Were Olivia and David Ducovny not such great performers, The Secret would probably become down-right unbearable.
½ February 8, 2012
weird as shit but kinda interesting 2 watch
½ January 1, 2012
I guess it was about.. parents not understanding their teenage daughters? I dunno. But, a nice showcase for the often marginalized Olivia Thirlby
December 2, 2011
Interesting but way too many unanswered questions and unfinished storylines.
½ November 15, 2011
I was suprised at how much I enjoyed it. The romantic notion of love transcending death is one of the more appealing themes. Touches on taboo enough for some uncomfortableness but, they were handle tastefully and not exploided for shock value. There is a glaring hole in the script; the movies only weak spot is the mystical explanation for the transference, possession or multiple personality disorder, with a stock scene of some library research and contacting an intellectual who must have been conveniently close by. It suffers from being only 93 minutes. If an extra 15 or 20 minutes where there filling in the gaps and giving more time for the relationships it could have been much better. But the good acting more than makes up for these problems. Nicely acted by the beautiful Olivia Thirlby, whose mannerisms change enough to be convincing. Sadly Lili Taylor, a wonderful actress, is only in it for a short amount of time. And Duchovny is great as always. One more drawback. Some places have this marked as a thriller and some posters suggest this as well. Far from it. Why, I have no idea. But this is not a thriller.
½ October 6, 2011
weird as shit but kinda interesting 2 watch
September 25, 2011
This film had a decent cast, but some of them didn't seem to fit their parts. Now David Duchovny did a pretty good job. He seemed normal and the parts when he was losing it, he was very believable. Lili Taylor did a good job, but I wish she was in it more. Olivia Thirlby plays the daughter of Duchovny and Taylor. The mom's soul goes into the daughter, so through most of the movie, Thirlby had to pretend to act like Taylor. At parts it seemed like she was, but other parts not so much. I did on the other hand like the story a lot. The ending was a little off for me, but it wasn't terrible. The movie really didn't have a scare factor. The film sets itself up to be scary, but it is not. It is mentally creepy though. If you pay attention to the characters, you will see what I am talking about. So overall, it was decent, but not the best of its genre.
½ August 29, 2011
This movie is... weird. The entire concept is just so strange but perfectly executed by Olivia Thirlby. She puts forth an incredibly convincing performance as she transforms from an "adult" into a teenager. Once her identity is changed, she portrays her character exactly as Lili Taylor would have, thoroughly convincing the viewer that it is a new person in her body. The 3 1/2 star rating primarily comes from Thirlby's amazing performance. David Duchovny is okay and the rest of the actors are average, but strong dialogue drives the plot and draws attention away from the impossibility of the plot.
August 3, 2011
When I first came across this film and read the description, I kept thinking there were going to be a lot of those awkward sex scenes between the two of them. Since mom is trapped in her daughter's body. But there was none of that and I really like the way they went with this film. The mother had no sense of identity herself and got to live her daughter's life and understand her better. I would watch it again.