12 Days of Terror - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
September 10, 2008
Above average TV movie about the real incident which inspired Jaws.
August 14, 2008
Tell me if this plot synopsis sounds familiar:

An ocean community is shocked when a series of shark attacks plague their waters right around the 4th of July holiday, threatening to impact their summer business. Although the initial victim clearly died due to a shark attack, the coroner poo-poos this idea, claiming any number of things could've caused this swimmer's death. Much discussion ensues about whether the beaches should be closed, but a stubborn mayor refuses to give the order. The consequences are disastrous, because the shark's next victim is a young boy. A reward is soon offered for the shark's death. A marine biologist arrives from out of town to help make sense of the monster's actions, and puts forth the theory that the shark is both a Great White and rogue. Meanwhile, a gruff, cantankerous captain does everything in his power to get rid of the predator, chewing up nearly as much scenery as the shark itself. The final act of the movie is an extended shark hunting sequence, with three men alone on the ocean, in the crazy captain's dilapidated boat.

Nope... doesn't ring a bell.

It's no secret that Jaws was based (loosely) on the real-life 1916 New Jersey shark attacks, and this made-for-TV film dramatizes the events perfectly. But the movie feels like an "also ran", directed with far less artistry than Spielberg's film, and boasting a much less inspired cast. (Even John Rhys Davies, who plays the Quint-like character here, barely seems to be going through the motions.)

It doesn't help that the plot feels old and tired, while Jaws felt new and fresh upon its release. Even some of the dialogue here is virtually recycled from Spielberg's classic... compare 12 Days of Terror's "This boat looks kind of small," to Jaws' "We're gonna need a bigger boat". And the screenplay, co-written by Halloween III's Tommy Lee Wallace, never quite captures the feeling of a community in terror. A few individual people, yes, but not an entire town.

Although I greatly enjoyed the 1916 setting, and the warm, slightly sepia tones employed by the cinematographer, I can't really recommend 12 Days of Terror. It's an interesting companion piece to Spielberg's film, but not terribly significant beyond that.

(Although the shark looks pretty good.)
½ August 13, 2008
Like Jaws but set during an older time period. Same concept. I enjoyed it.
May 8, 2008
Isn't this one with all the crappy shark swallows, ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!
April 30, 2008
inte mkt å hurra över, för lite spänning å så:/
½ April 14, 2008
This movie was surprisingly enjoyable. It was overall, okay, worth watching even.
February 11, 2008
I usually like movies that are based on true facts but this one was too boring and it looked cheap, it was too "hallmark". I rented this movie but I believe it was made for tv because of the way it's edited. Bad everything, bad acting, bad "special effects", baqd dialogue, with this tory they could have done so much more
January 16, 2008
The sharks apparently didn't like New Jersey back in the early 1900s. Go figure.
½ January 5, 2008
I think this movie was made already...it was called Jaws. It is still way better than the sequels.
January 4, 2008
fkn superb all about the shark that ete six people in 1916 over 12 days a fkn good film
December 6, 2007
hahaha, jersey shore for the win
November 26, 2007
Interesting shark story, but cheap FX and not too good acting.
½ November 24, 2007
BLOOOOODDDYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 14, 2007
Sharks and terror!! Yay!
½ August 13, 2007
Based on a true story of a shark in New Jersey. This actually inspired the writer to produce "Jaws" later on.
August 10, 2007
well told story about the New Jersey shark attacks - a little boring but worth watching
August 10, 2007
Good compared to other straight to DVD shark films.Sticks to the real incident pretty well,good story,surprisingly good production value,and SFX we're up to date enough.Really my only complaint is the acting,and it was sort of boring.
July 20, 2007