Hunger Reviews

• Oct 31, 2020

Perhaps the most overrated film I have ever seen. It's disgusting throughout, extremely slow, and very boring. There's a scene where two characters are sat at a table smoking for roughly 20 minutes - nothing happens besides boring talking. Furthermore, half of the film is just watching prisoners smear bodily fluids all over the prison. The other quarter is watching prisoners get beaten up. Then there's some short, random side plot with one of the prison guards. There are also several scenes of prison guards/janitors just cleaning up the mess in silence. The pacing was dreadful and nothing happens. There's practically no story, and the film was one sided. I never felt sorry for the characters because they weren't exactly behaving, and I'm not a fan of Ireland or the IRA. However, the cinematography and acting were fine, although the accents were difficult to understand at times. Don't watch this trash.

• Oct 18, 2020

Upsetting and tainted, the world McQueen projected was far too cold & confined for anyone to live in, but far too accented for us to leave. Each undertone grew and each cringe swelled.

• Oct 10, 2020

Watch this picture and education will ensue. Thatcher was a c5nt !

Watch this picture and education will ensue. Thatcher was a c5nt !

• Oct 10, 2020

A debut impossible to top. 10/10

A debut impossible to top. 10/10

• Aug 03, 2020

If you arent a fan (well perhaps the word ‘fan' might not be the best word), Ill change that to. If you are put off by messy body fluids then perhaps skip eating or drinking anything whilst watching Hunger, as the scenes of ;dirty protests' pull no punches and have a pretty nauseating feel to them but that has to be the point. Hunger most certainly doesn't glorify anything at all about time in the Maze Prison or what its like to be locked up when you think you shouldn't be locked up. As Steve McQueen has done with all his films, he knows what he is doing and 100% perfectly gets the result that he wants and that the film needs. Fantastic work. Is ‘Hunger' a film for everyone? Perhaps not, but if you want to see a historical true story that shows the darker side of humanity but a side of humanity that shouldnt be forgotten- then check out Hunger by Steve McQueen. Just dont eat anything mushy whilst you do.- trust me on that.

• May 01, 2020

Fassbender leads the prison hunger strike in Ireland in the 80s. The movie is rough, showing how they were treated.

• Apr 05, 2020

Boys a dear! This is definitely not the right time to watch such a gut-wrenching, brutal film. The combination of harrowing imagery with sounds that penetrate the senses is really something that creeps under your skin to send quivers through your soul: it's specially made to make you feel what the characters feel. Honestly, I feel sick! That said, I think people really don't do this film justice by only praising its idiosyncratic direction style and Michael Fassbender's achingly astounding performance (only God knows how he didn't get an Oscar nod). Because what strikes me the most is how brilliantly structured this film is. The first act may be a bit longer than it should, and some of the attempts to strike an emotional chord amidst the sheer rawness and grittiness didn't pay off as they were intended to; but I couldn't help feeling that the transition from an act to another was just perfect: every act ends and paves the way for the next at the perfect time. We get to see what deprivation do to humans but in a most abstract way at the first act, we get to know that sacrificing for the others (by self-deprivation) could be the only proper way of rebellion at the second act and then we feel deprivation and suffer so badly with only the feeling of a martyr to compensate for all the pain. This is a directorial debut that only a true artist can make! (9/10)

• Dec 31, 2019

amazing movie. It's not partisan but tries to show a balanced view. Somewhat of a different structure but incredible gripping.

• Nov 03, 2019

OMFG if your gut is not moved probably you are not human. Fassbender in one of the best performances of the century

• Jul 19, 2019