Nobel Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nobel Son Reviews

October 15, 2015
Only giving it a star because of Greenburg's performance. It's nothing spectacular, but holds up, despite this being a horrible film. Rickman did okay, but I feel like he only worked on this movie to pay for his retirement or something. This movie tries to be suspenseful, funny, serious, and...God, I don't even know what else. But, it tries to be so many things that it made it confusing for me whether to laugh at something or stare blankly. I remember the first minute or so being suspenseful and giving me the impression that this was going to be an awesome cop and robber movie. But, no, we get a confusing plot, characters, and actors that sounded really bored every time they spoke. I'm not kidding, they sounded really dull and boring. Breaks my heart to see this on Rickman's list of movies he's worked on because this was HORRIBLE.
September 20, 2014
PhD candidate Barkley Michaelson (Bryan Greenberg) is a man with a big problem. Living in the shadow of his philandering, arrogant father Eli (Alan Rickman), he's never been good enough for the old man - and that was before Eli won the Nobel prize. So when Barkley's kidnapped on the eve of the Nobel prize ceremony and held for the $2 million in prize money, it's no surprise that Eli refuses to pay. Realizing his fate rests in his own hands, Barley decides to use his smarts and finally show his father just how close the apple falls for the tree!

also stars Eliza Dushku, Shawn Hatosy, Mary Steenburgen, Bill Pullman, Ted Danson, Danny DeVito and Ernie Hudson.

directed by Randall Miller.
August 16, 2014
It was certainly different, somewhat hard to follow. Great music from the GREAT Paul Oakenfold. Very interesting plot.
½ September 30, 2013
Talk about revenge. I would have given it 3 stars if it had been a little cleaner.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 13, 2013
Nobel Son is a well thought black comedy with a great cast and directing. I really enjoyed the film because it offers up a good idea for a movie, and with a fine lead performance from Alan Rickman, who always is best as playing characters that are arrogant. This is a smart film with a great cast, a clever script and great directing. The plot is well structured and it is an entertaining film that is smart and funny, something that is rare to see in comedies because everyone wants the same old tiresome humor. Nobel Son is a film that will certainly appeal to viewers looking for a different type of comedy, and with a cast like this, you can be thoroughly engaged into the story, its characters and what is going on on-screen. This is one of those rare films that succeed at creating something really original and combining it with a well layered plot. I really loved the film, and it is a fine independent production due to Rickman's performance which really stands out. I wish more films like this would get a wider release because in today's comedy genre, nearly every comedy tends to recycle the same dull material, which ends up falling flat. Nobel Son has its imperfections, but it is worth seeing if you enjoy these types of Black comedies. With a great cast at hand, this is a highly entertaining film that combines serious elements with the not so serious to create one of the better films in the genre. This film is really a treat for film fans that enjoy independent productions such as this.
May 4, 2013
I think it's a different movie, with unusual topics that make it entertaining and intersting but the strong performance is for Alan Rickman than really make a inhuman, egocentric and selfish being really far of head-family role and his character gives a support to the others interpretations.
½ December 6, 2012
A film that isn't exactly great but you do want to see what happens. The only reason this is getting 3.5 is for Alan Rickman's performance as any film is made better when he's in it.
½ October 28, 2012
Huh? and that's not because I didn't understand the plot.

2010 Movies: 43
October 14, 2012
Even though it didn't get a lot of 5 star reviews, I thought it was still a great movie!
October 9, 2012
Hey! You can't bite City Hall!
½ September 3, 2012
Alan Rickman is amazing here. Great cast overall and nice kidnapping plot.
August 30, 2012
This is definitely a must see. The storyline is awesome.
August 28, 2012
Excellent movie, love the storyline and plot. I definitely recommend it.
FiLmCrAzY
June 21, 2012
This movie, gets three stars purely for Rickman as he is awesome! Like everything that Alan Rickman is in he also proves to be a phenomenal actor even if the script and plot of the movie isnt up to scratch!
Being a huge Alan Rickman fan i absolutely loved this movie, i was wishing that he was my professor that i could have an affair with however that aside the story itself is a bit over-ambitious!
Your given a straight forward plot that gives you laughs and enjoyment but then the story goes somewhere completely else and gets a little bit harder to keep up as the plot delves into sub plots and a whole new direction in the last half of the movie!

Although its a movie you can understand and follow you are left bewildered as to why they took that direction towards the end, and possibly there could have been a more satisfying ending! Its a good cast Alan Rickman is awesome and i love the American Accent hes putting on it makes him even more sexy! He's great and the supporting cast have their moments but the movie as a whole is a little disappointing.
Rickman fans will enjoy this movie though!
June 19, 2012
I was completely shock and awed because I wasn't completely prepared for the trip that this movie turned out to be. I adored Mr. Rickman's role on this one; it was way different than his usual parts.
June 12, 2012
Glib crime-caper nonsense that isn't as smart as it seems to think.
May 13, 2012
Good indie dark comedy/mystery with some good performances. Very entertaining.
May 6, 2012
very underrated! twisted and engaging
April 25, 2012
Loved Alan Rickman in this movie, he is portrayed as a villian once again, but one that can be laughed at. He has no reservations on his behavior.
April 20, 2012
Actually really good! I was pleasantly surprised. And...it was the most clever movies I've seen in a long time!