Copycat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Copycat Reviews

½ April 7, 2014
Copycat (Andy Hurst, 2008)

Copycat starts, at least, from an interesting premise, one that I see rarely (but is probably used a lot more than I realize)-a serial killer, instead of developing his own methodology, takes a page (this idiom is not used lightly here, as you will soon see) from the work of famous serial killers before him, and each of his kills is set in a scene staged to re-enact the famous work of his forefathers; the only clue this killer leaves that differs is a page from his diary relating to the killer whose work he is parroting. It's a great idea, and I imagine that, done well, and with a whole lot of research and interviewing of profilers and the like, someone could take this premise and do a bang-up job with it. Andy Hurst (Wild Things 2), or, more appropriately, screenwriter Ellis Walker (Grim Reaper), don't take it anywhere near its logical conclusion; instead, they use it as a hook into what is, ultimately, a generic murder mystery, with harried police detective (Hall Pass' Chloe Snyder) chasing diabolically evil killer (The Skeleton Key's Andreas Beckett). On the other hand, "generic" is an awful lot better than "horrible". Copycat is a movie that you will likely have forgotten a week after watching it, but it is far form the worst movie I watched that month. It's not even the worst movie I watched that day (that dishonor goes to Desi Scarpone's horrifying Dark Town, which landed on my hundred-worst list). One to watch if you're bored on a Friday night and have nothing better to do. ** 1/2
½ May 13, 2011
This story basically asks "what drives a killer to kill?" It was deffinatly a different storyline and has a surprise ending. Kinda tuff to follow at times and a bit draw out but not overall bad.
½ October 10, 2009
I feel asleep while watching it. I also feel asleep the 55 other times i tried finishing it. Enough said.
½ September 26, 2009
Horrible, boring, big waste of time!
½ September 7, 2009
so bad i couldnt watch the first 5 minutes.
July 17, 2009
I'd love to get into someones head like that.lol
March 14, 2009
A very interesting movie in its character study of serial killers, their compulsion, obsession and finally their ultimate breakdown. We have a copycat who really admires and learns from America's most noted serial killers. And through that we learn about him, and his compulsion, and need to kill horrifically.

While this movie isn't great, and the ending to be honest is rather abrupt, it was enjoyable. I liked how the Copycat was essentially pushing his victim's daughter to succeed him, which was a novel concept.

Enjoyable.
½ November 21, 2008
compelling images

not so great acting

pretty bad dialog

cool death and torture scenes :)
½ November 21, 2008
its like a home made movie...sucks balls
November 15, 2008
Kind of confusing...
October 26, 2008
I liked this movie, but it was more about Richard Ramirez, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ed Gein than the serial killer in the movie. I did like the little biographies and what not about those three though, but they should have focused on the actual serial killer more. Also, there were some cool gory scenes, but the gore itself was very low budgeted and looked very fake.
October 21, 2008
Good storyline but the acting wasn't so great.
October 18, 2008
Copycat has a great idea behind it: a serial killer who themes each of his kills after another famous serial killer. Unfortunately, that idea gets lost in translation somewhere between the script and the actual film, and the finished product is just another sloppy, low-budget crime thriller. Only three of the killers on the DVD case are actually incorporated into Copycat - Ramirez, Dahmer and Gein - and their crimes really have very little to do with the plot of the movie. The killer is identified early on as less of a copycat and more of a student, learning from the mistakes of past murderers. The only connection we have to the killers named on the box is a series of long, boring flashbacks that follow each killer around for about twenty minutes each. When Copycat isn't showing us flashbacks, the plot is weak and unfinished, and the characters are severely underdeveloped. Avoid this one.
½ September 25, 2008
As expected, a "horror movie"