Copycat Reviews

• Apr 07, 2014

Copycat (Andy Hurst, 2008) Copycat starts, at least, from an interesting premise, one that I see rarely (but is probably used a lot more than I realize)-a serial killer, instead of developing his own methodology, takes a page (this idiom is not used lightly here, as you will soon see) from the work of famous serial killers before him, and each of his kills is set in a scene staged to re-enact the famous work of his forefathers; the only clue this killer leaves that differs is a page from his diary relating to the killer whose work he is parroting. It's a great idea, and I imagine that, done well, and with a whole lot of research and interviewing of profilers and the like, someone could take this premise and do a bang-up job with it. Andy Hurst (Wild Things 2), or, more appropriately, screenwriter Ellis Walker (Grim Reaper), don't take it anywhere near its logical conclusion; instead, they use it as a hook into what is, ultimately, a generic murder mystery, with harried police detective (Hall Pass' Chloe Snyder) chasing diabolically evil killer (The Skeleton Key's Andreas Beckett). On the other hand, "generic" is an awful lot better than "horrible". Copycat is a movie that you will likely have forgotten a week after watching it, but it is far form the worst movie I watched that month. It's not even the worst movie I watched that day (that dishonor goes to Desi Scarpone's horrifying Dark Town, which landed on my hundred-worst list). One to watch if you're bored on a Friday night and have nothing better to do. ** 1/2

• May 13, 2011

This story basically asks "what drives a killer to kill?" It was deffinatly a different storyline and has a surprise ending. Kinda tuff to follow at times and a bit draw out but not overall bad.

• Oct 10, 2009

I feel asleep while watching it. I also feel asleep the 55 other times i tried finishing it. Enough said.

• Sep 26, 2009

Horrible, boring, big waste of time!

Horrible, boring, big waste of time!

• Sep 07, 2009

so bad i couldnt watch the first 5 minutes.

so bad i couldnt watch the first 5 minutes.

• Jul 17, 2009

I'd love to get into someones head like that.lol

I'd love to get into someones head like that.lol

• Mar 14, 2009

A very interesting movie in its character study of serial killers, their compulsion, obsession and finally their ultimate breakdown. We have a copycat who really admires and learns from America's most noted serial killers. And through that we learn about him, and his compulsion, and need to kill horrifically. While this movie isn't great, and the ending to be honest is rather abrupt, it was enjoyable. I liked how the Copycat was essentially pushing his victim's daughter to succeed him, which was a novel concept. Enjoyable.

• Nov 21, 2008

compelling images not so great acting pretty bad dialog cool death and torture scenes :)

• Nov 21, 2008