The Good Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Life Reviews

June 23, 2012
Exquisitely written, beautifully sad, and painfully real. This film is not made to create a satisfiable plot or give any sort of closure to the audience. It is a window into the mundane life that could easily belong to the millions of tattered Americans with broken dreams and stunted lives.

The acting is superb, especially Mark Webber's. Harry Dean Stanton, Patrick Fugit, Zooey Deschanel, and Chris Klein give incredibly believable performances.

People who didn't like this film probably have a general aversion to melancholy and the brutal reality of its vast existence in the world, which is one of the main themes present in this film. Mental illness, unrealized dreams, alienation, and the pain and comfort of death are also explored.

It is truly a great watch for anyone who enjoys solemn drama and the calm, hushed intensity of indie films.
½ April 9, 2012
A bit outside the norm here, this one makes you really think about what is and what could be. A great little plot twist that makes the movie towards the end. The end to me was left kinda open I had been watching movies for about 8 hours recovering from New Years Eve so I may have missed something.
March 24, 2012
I loved this movie. I love the brief litllte stoies that Jason tells about his family and peope tht he knows are all so insiteful. I praticularly like the peanut butter story.
October 12, 2011
This movie has a lot of plays on everything. You're definitely led to believe one thing at the beginning of the movie and throughout, then actually led to believe something else, then it's something else that actually happens! Those final two turns take place in the final three minutes. I'm typically against twisty-turny nonsense as that's cheap writing, and I can agree with some critics who blast the movie for going that route.

It's a depressing as hell movie. Jason's father has killed himself, and pretty much everything else imaginable is horrible for the young kid. It's no wonder you're led to believe he might shoot himself. The only real question would be: what took you so long? But as the title suggests, even in the darkest moments, there are moments of light, of good. And those are the things worth living for. Eh, that's feel good bullshit that really had no place in a movie this dark.

I like Webber. He's good as a morose character and evidently does good work for the homeless off the screen. Deschanel is about the same as usual. No complaints, but no range either. Fugit disappeared after the rock n roll movie and he's good. Klein has also gone away only to resurface as an asshole-nut in this one, but he's pretty decent.

The movie just tried to hard. I mean it's just one thing after another, and some of them are a little far-fetched. Undoubtedly, real life offers one thing after another to far too many people, but I think it very rare it gets this bad. Or I hope. And that's why the ending was set up the way it was. Who wouldn't want to end a life that bad? For the film maker to take away that question was pretty dishonest.

Finally, the dad leaves the son his gun (which surely cant be the one with which he shot himself but it almost seems that way) and a bullet with literally his name on it. He also leaves a note to the effect of: the human brain carries enough oxygen to survive 10-15 seconds after the heart has stopped. Go for the head, son. A life of pain is long enough. It was a little more articulate than that, and a wasted line all things considered.
½ September 11, 2011
Horribly pointless and slow-paced.
September 10, 2011
This is a bleak movie with a slight twist that is too late, too little. Zooey is charming. At moments she is as luminescent, or more, than I've ever seen her. Still she is a tease to the plot when she could have anchored it. In life the beautiful fail and the deserving are overlooked. I not only get it, I wish film were more aware of reality. I just wish the quirky films were less concerned with symbolic schtick and more aware of the reality of poor, tortured, even beautiful souls.
July 20, 2011
It tries a bit too hard, but it pretty good.
June 11, 2011
Surprised at the critical and Flixster poor ratings... really found it enjoyable and emotive enough.
½ April 19, 2011
My theory (the movies of hers I haven't seen notwithstanding; Yes Man may not fit the mold) is that Zooey Descanel will play a dream girl type (because what else could she play?) as long as she ends up totally not one by the end. Fun fact: Bill... Paxton just wandered onto the set and decided he was in the movie. Maybe not, but why was he there?
April 16, 2011
Heartfelt....Relatable characters.
April 2, 2011
kelam, pahit, dan penuh kesakitan. bersetting di Nebraska, kota yang bangga akan tim football kampusnya. Jason seorang remaja yang hidupnya penuh dengan kesedihan, kerja parttime di pom bensin dan gedung bioskop tua. bertemen sekaligus mengurus pemilik bioskop tersebut yang sudah mulai dementia karena ditinggal istrinya yang meninggal. Jason baru saja ditinggal pergi ayahnya yang mati bunuh diri, ayahnya tersebut mempunyai selera humor yang aneh. lalu Frances masuk ke dalam kehidupan Jason dan mulai sedikit merubah pandangannya menjadi lebih optimis. apakah Frances berbohong soal hidupnya? lalu bagaimana dengan Gus si pemilik bioskop yang makin menurun kondisi kesehatannya? ditambah lagi kondisi keuangan yang memburuk, sementara masih ada ibu-nya yang harus diurus. setelah ngeliat Zooey topless dari jauh di Gigantic, di sini ngeliat Zooey topless dengan tangan menutup payudaranya :D. satu yang paling indah, bisa mendengar Zooey bernyanyi dengan suara asli tanpa taping lebih dahulu. ngga pernah bosen dengan karakter yang dimainkan Mrs Gibbard ini, benarĀ² indie darling! akting Mark Webber pun meyakinkan, ditambah lagi dengan akting brillian dari aktor senior Harry Dean Stanton. perfect!
½ March 15, 2011
Harry Dean Stanton stole the show in this movie. I found it to be more of a portrayal of a person's experience of growing to cope with all the issues in his life in order to escape. Its interesting that complete loss can push a person in a new direction.
½ March 15, 2011
It's hard to review this movie because it had little to no plot. This film makes you feel like you've missed the first 30 minutes but it has just started. The range of cast also adds to the motley characters. The film revolves around these tragic characters and one may thing you can't carry a story with all sad people. Try telling that to a man named victor hugo wrote a wonderful piece on a bunch of misrables. The one piece that drives the timeline is an unopened package seen early in the film. It is almost a Pandora's box. The audience can guess what is in it through most of the movie and yet we hang on our seat, holding our breath until it is opened. Overall and odd movie that I wouldn't recommend to many, but a definite watch for others. I must also point out, I didn't know Chris Klein had it in him for a part like this. Kudos to him.
March 9, 2011
I surprisingly enjoyed this
½ March 8, 2011
Pretty good. Way better than I assumed it would be.
February 13, 2011
Really liked this movie.
½ January 17, 2011
It was dar and somewhat interesting but the ending does not make for a less morose film. Deschanel is fab as is Klein and Webber.
October 29, 2010
Before you believe the RT rating of 20%, notice only 5 t-meter critics rated, and there are no ratings by the top critics. This movie ain't was great to me cause I happen love Deschanel and happened to be in the right mood at the time for this sad drama. Anyways, my main point is that the RT ratings are not always accurate.
July 11, 2010
Esta es rarisima, pero zafa bastante
½ June 23, 2010
I had never heard of this movie when I noticed Zooey Deschanel on the cover while looking for movies at the library, and that is the only reason I gave it a chance and watched it. Saying that, it is an interesting movie, but not a particularly good one. It has a really uneven pace, tone and acting, and although Zooey was charming as she usually is, her character was fairly minor and in the end pretty unimportant. So unless you are really interested in the story are reading the blurb, then give it a pass.