Open Window - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open Window Reviews

½ May 8, 2015
If it wasn't for Cybill Shepherds lousy acting this film would have been far more entertaining. Her role as an overprotective mother just disappoints. A story of rape and its effects on a couple. Simple film.
September 7, 2014
A movie meant for the serious times, but then one would think there are too many flaws.. However, nothing that jams the brain, with a serious story line, but definitely in need of a better screenplay and dialogue delivery.. What however beats one's sense, is why the male fiancee had to be made so defensive in the entire saga, when nothing was really his fault?
November 26, 2013
Despite other what other reviews say I would 100% recommend this to anyone. I found Mia Goldman's account to be raw and honest... this might be because it was her own story or because there was no fluff. I've heard people say they find Izzy insufferable... but through out the movie as she copes with her rape you begin to see more and more into her head. She is grieving. Sometimes she is inconsolably sad, in denial, and angry. As someone who has been there... it was by far the most honest account in a film. And I give kudos due to it not relying on a graphic rape scene to carry itself through.
October 30, 2013
It was a fine psychological drama. It sure was depressing and not so interesting but the starting was powerful and it got really slow later, I was kind of confused, waiting something to happen.
June 2, 2013
This starts out with a point and then grows rather aimless. Cybill Shepherd was absolutely terrible.
August 26, 2012
The plot is about as slow-paced as it gets, but I still enjoyed it; a very honest film. Tunney and Edgerton played their parts well.
½ July 15, 2012
Makes one think about what they do if the same happened to you or a member of your family. How would you react.
½ September 14, 2011
A tough subject, dealt with pretty well, it's just not a gripping film and I think they could have handled the plot a little better. It's just an examination of a topic rather than an entertainment based film of course, but you come away feeling kind of indifferent towards the final result.

Tunney does well depicting the broken aftermath of rape though (she should have helped the police, but I suppose the promise of an attacker returning is just too great of a fear for some women), and this is the first time I've seen Edgerton in anything I think and I thought he was rather good.
September 12, 2011
I think this film thought it was better than it actually was. Severely over-acted, and over-dramatised.
July 26, 2011
the movie is very good
July 25, 2011
This was interesting. The acting was fantastic.
April 19, 2011
I'm not sure why this movie hasn't had better ratings. Maybe it was a little slow at times, but I found it very good, and very moving. It was well done, with some really great actors...complete with a very nice, satisfying ending.
½ November 20, 2010
disturbing, not a big fan
October 17, 2010
Adequate acting. Somewhat predictable plot.
August 6, 2010
A good but slow moving drama focusing on a couple's strained relationship after a violent rape. After watching the special features, I learned it was inspired by the own traumatic experience of the writer/director and you can feel her pain through Robin Tunney's strong performance. I wasn't at all impressed however by Joel Edgerton, the male lead.
½ May 22, 2010
True to life. The stuggles of coming to terms when something horrific happens, especially rape, for both men and women is severe. It doesn't always just affect the ones who were raped... it affects their partner, their family, and their friends. I think they did a great job showing the emotional breakdown of everyone in the film and each of them coming to terms with things in their own way.
April 22, 2010
I was forced to watch this movie at a sexual assult response and prevention training session and thought it was ok as a training video but it was a horrible movie without the desired outcome of training it us a waste of time. Cybal sheppard was really good in this
½ April 6, 2010
An interesting look into the survival of a rape victim and the effect of it on her relationship. It was missing a little strength, making it just short of a powerful film. Decent, though. Thevextra kick was really needed in character development. Somehow didn't feel as endeared as it seems one should.
August 12, 2009
A just engaged couple must come to terms with the fact that the woman gets raped in her own home. An age old story is given overly sensitive treatment and ends up feeling like a TV-movie-of-the-week. Cybil Shepherds overacting doesnt help matters