Dead of Winter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead of Winter Reviews

December 9, 2013
The acting isn't that good, but the story is just crazy and interesting enough to enjoy.
June 19, 2013
Not bad. Supposedly based on true events, it's really more a morality tale on the dangers of drugs than a thriller, but still a decent story and some good tension building in parts. Character actors McNamara and Joyce are solid performers, they just don't have a lot to work with they, and the others excepting the leads, are truly supporting roles without a lot of depth
February 15, 2012
Dead of Winter (Brian McNamara, 2007)

Somehow it didn't occur to me that this movie (also released as Lost Signal), which popped up on some channel or other as Brian McNamara's Dead of Winter, was directed by THAT Brian McNamara, a TV character actor (currently appearing on Army Wives) who's had a guest spot at some point or another on probably half the shows you watch on TV. To date, this rather silly psychological horror flick is McNamara's only feature-length directorial effort. There's a reason for that.

Plot: after leaving a New Year's Eve party where their drinks were spiked with LSD by the sadistic host, Kevin (American Gangster's Al Santos) and Tiffany (Cry_Wolf's Sandra McCoy) have an accident on their way home, panic, and run off into the woods, their only lifeline being a spotty cell phone they use every once in a while to check in with the local sheriff (played by McNamara) and his dispatcher (Bubba Ho-Tep's Ella Joyce). Kevin eventually becomes convinced that they are being stalked, and the two of them flee deeper into the woods even as the sheriff does his best to get a manhunt going in the sub-zero weather.

I wanted to like this movie. I've been a big Ella Joyce fan ever since the Roc days (and that's two decades ago now), and there are a number of places where there's a hook out there, dangling, waiting for McNamara and/or screenwriters Robert Egan and Graham Silver, two producers working on their first script, to pick it up and run with it. They never do, preferring a script that stands solely in service to the plot-which is thin. As such, you end up with a dead generic pseudo-psychological thriller often (and never favorably) compared to The Shining. **
February 8, 2012
I remember watching this movie a little bit ago, from what i remember this movie wasnt really bad but wasnt good either. Still you should see it!
December 20, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

(2006) Dead Of Winter
HORROR/ SOCIAL COMMENTARY

Supposed to be based on a true story about a clean cut teenage girl goes to her first beer party only to try out her first snort of cocaine, and the first time experiencing her first drink which was supposed to be spiked with the date rape drug! And upon her boyfriend driving his clean cut girlfriend home, he starts to hallucinate and she starts to believe him that someone is stalking to kill them. They run through the snow thinking that someone is after them. The twist at the end somehow contradicts the actions of the characters themselves- this is definitely supposed to be an anti- drug kind of film but the whole thing is ludicrous and illogical!

1/2 out of 4 stars
July 18, 2011
Trippy...yet so smart. A great horror film that really makes you think.
April 5, 2011
It was on one of the News Magazine shows that I saw a segment on this. A young couple stops by a party, someone slips LSD into their drinks, and I'll give you 3 guesses as to what happens next. Okay film (acting could have been better), just mad I couldn't remember the outcome of the news segment. The freaky Hollywood twist here is a "trip" in its self.
½ February 8, 2011
Maybe even a 2 1/2 star movie, except for the stupid and completely insulting last couple of minutes. If your movie's good enough, you won't need to replay the entire thing in a thirty-second flashback at the end. Bleah.
January 23, 2011
This movie portrays itself to be a scary horror movie when it reality it just about two kids who get doped up on acid and meth and get lost in a forest. overall it's a really boring movie and the expected twist at the end isn't worth waiting five minutes for let alone the 80 minutes it does take to finally finish this worthless film. I would only recommended this movie to stoners who want to reminisce about the times they wigged out on meth and acid and saw scary things that weren't real!
½ January 15, 2011
one of the worst 'horror' films i've seen in awhile. pass.
December 15, 2010
The movie was alright and I didn't really understand it.
½ November 5, 2010
Two kids snort meth, drop acid and get lost in the woods. The alternate title was CENTRALIA WEEKEND.
½ July 22, 2010
Surprisingly good psychological horror flick about a girl and guy who accidentally ingest LSD at a party. Hilarity does not ensue.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ April 17, 2010
Annoying college students take bad acid, hallucinate unrealistically, run around in the woods, kill and die. Quite possibly the worst, most insultingly absurd movie ever made with no redeeming qualities. A stupid, condescending piece of anti-dope propaganda that feels like it was commissioned bu the Reagan Administration. Even worse and more ridiculous than Twister with Helen Hunt. No tits either. I'm so glad I didn't waste my last piece of blotter acid by eating it and then watching this hunk of cinematic Thorazine. A horror movie my ass. Base on true events my ass.
½ February 18, 2010
Talk about a B- movie.
Also talk about a bad trip...
It's a shame that the beginning was weak, but as it progressed to the ending, it was a mind blaster!
½ December 18, 2009
Pretty lame......Horror flick based off drug use???????? Seriously......lol Please don't waste your time watching this lol
½ September 15, 2009
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Both characters are tripping on LSD, so of course they're seeing and hearing crazy things. Unfortunately, this isn't scary because you know none of it is remotely real. At one point, they're talking to a group of non-responsive people in the middle of a field. They're not responding because they're COWS, complete with mooing. nonsensical piece of garbage.
May 11, 2009
Vraiment plate et endormant.