Suffering Man's Charity (Ghost Writer) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suffering Man's Charity (Ghost Writer) Reviews

½ January 5, 2013
A very peculiar film, very much a 2 hander between a typically arch and snitty Alan Cumming as homosexual music teacher John and an immensely brave David Boreanaz as Sebastian, a broke aspiring writer he takes in, hoping to bed.

From an awkwardly mannered stiff upper lip drama, it abruptly shifts to a grand guignol black comedy, with a lingeried Boreanaz tied up with Christmas lights. It's not a sight I want to see again, but is a superb, committed piece of work.

The ghost writer plot and other characters, including Carrie Fisher's reporter, Henry Thomas's star musician and Anne Heche's gorgeous publisher, are secondary to the central pair.

It's stagy, too quirky for it's own good, but the performances make it worth a watch.
April 21, 2012
Well, what can I say. Apart from a crazy Boreanaz this movie was absolute rubbish. Although Alan Cumming's played a gay snob to perfection.
April 21, 2012
½ November 1, 2011
When a music teacher takes in a struggling writer as a house guest, he soon finds out that his charity is taken for granted, and things come to an explosive end.

This is a pleasant, but odd little film that really doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It starts off feeling like a drama, then changes into black comedy, then changes into a ghost story, and finishes up being a drama again. It is also feels very drawn out, and just when it starts to get really interesting, it ends, which just left me feeling a little confused to what it was trying to achieve. The small cast all act their roles very well, with Alan Cumming being at his best over the top. But David Boreanaz has the best part that really shows off his comedic talents. You may want to catch this movie just for the black comedy sequences, which are quite amusing, but it is not the horror film that the Horror Channel led me to believe it would be.
½ September 16, 2011
This is the worst movie.

Seriously? Who funded it? It is about a composer with a history of "giving boarding" to young struggling artists. . . Then, he becomes a sadist. Not worth the 1.5 hours. If there is a comedic element, it is the unexpected plot twist in the last 30 minutes. Unfortunately, it wasn't funny.
August 18, 2011
this black comedy is just ok and frankly not that funny at all an all star cast pretty much gets wasted here.
August 11, 2011
This movie was horrible, and so far from anything I would ever call a comedy! Don't waste your time with this one...not even because David Boreanaz is in it. So not worth it!
½ June 3, 2011
Ich bin mir nicht ganz sucher, ob dieser Film tatsächlich so komisch sein sollte, wie ich ihn fand. David Boreanaz und Alan Cumming spielen ihre Rollen großartig. Die Story allerdings fand ich ein bisschen sehr exotisch.
February 25, 2011
the acting was great. the story was.. strange? worth a watch.
½ January 31, 2011
The only good thing about this film was Alan Cumming and maybe David Boreanaz. The rest of the cast was pretty good too but we didn't see enough of them. I think mainly it just went right over my head and that's why I didn't enjoy it. The storyline didn't grab me in anyway, I just liked the eccentric and clearly mental John Vandermark. I wouldn't recommended it though really.
January 23, 2011
This is a very odd movie. A bit like a gay version of Misery with mild humour & weirdness. It is equally disturbing, but Alan Cumming & David Boreanaz give great performances with brilliant cameos in the movie too. The thing is... It's just bizarre more than anything else... Not bad, but not great & the ending was lame.
January 23, 2011
January 16, 2011
It is an excellent mystery movie. Highly recommended.
½ January 2, 2011
This was one extremely disturbing movie. I didn't expect this from Alan Cumming, but I was impressed.
December 2, 2010
I rate this two stars only because the two lead actors tried so very hard, and actually performed well despite the stinking pit of a movie they had the misfortune of being cast in. I usually love black comedies, but this is more farce than anything else. There's very little comedy, and it tries so hard to be shocking, and just completely fails. I was very disappointed in this.
½ August 16, 2010
It was actually very entertaining to watch and really over the top
August 15, 2010
sigh... this was brutal - had to finish watching it for the principal of the thing. LOL
½ July 24, 2010
Difficult to rate. The perfoprmance by Cumming was brilliant but the story was a bit ropey. It took too long to get to the meat of the story. As the movie was only 90 minutes too much was spent on how much of a waster Bastian was and no time on how brilliant he was. Carrie Fisher popping up at the end was a bit of a bolt from the blue as well.
½ June 21, 2010
I rate this one the same as "Mind Tricks". Great dialogs leading to thought disclosure.Alan Cumming might be the only psycotic gay ever drew my attention. He is certainly one great young actor. Enjoyable for those who like exploring characters.