Slaughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slaughter Reviews

February 21, 2016
Grisly ending, yet predictable, and poorly written.
August 1, 2014
This is one of those movies that since you cant stand anyone, so having everyone die is a good thing- and also means you can stop watching the movie.
September 24, 2013
typical of course....doesn't make a whole lot of sense...you betcha....but if you do not have to pay for this and you get it on NETFLIX...than it is worth the watch.
September 3, 2013
If you are really into the genre that this has the appearance of being, DO NOT BOTHER. I finally gave it a go because it popped up as a Netflix suggestion so many times. It was very disappointing.
bbcfloridabound
½ June 28, 2013
From The 8 Films To Die For Collection. This is a really solid entry in the after dark library inspired by a true story. The film centers on a young woman running from her abusive past and settles down with a new girl she meets on her family farm. But suspicious events begin to take place and disturbing family secrets are revealed culminating to a truly nightmarish outcome. Slaughter feels a little lifetime movieish at times but it really does excel the standard clichés of its storyline. The film feels intimate almost to the point that I'm not sure that I'd wanna meet Stewart Hopewell. It rides the same line of suspense as the strangers but delivering a little more bang for your buck. It's slightly slow moving but suspenseful and the performances are believable. It really is a little gem more of a psychological thriller than a straight out horror film the film will surely leave you creeped out when it's far over. 3 1/2 Stars 6-24-13
½ April 28, 2013
quite good movie..with very strange and unexpected ending..
January 31, 2013
Faith leaves home to escape from her abusive past, but she will find much more to fear after moving in to her new friend's secluded farmhouse. Stewart Hopewell's feature-length debut, SLAUGHTER, is a slow burn that mindfully builds on its mystery and suspense. Unfortunately, we never learn enough about either of the girls to invest in their individual plights, and the motivation behind the initial murders is dubious at best. Hopewell leaves several questionable subplots underdeveloped, and fails to tie them all back together into a satisfying conclusion. The killer's final solution is so rash, violent, and extreme that it is beyond belief, especially when so many plausible alternatives were left open to them. That isn't to say that SLAUGHTER is a poorly made film, however. Lucy Holt and Amy Shiels are both very good in the respective roles, and the clean cinematography lulls us in to a false sense of security as we enter increasingly dark and dangerous territory. With a few minor adjustments, SLAUGHTER could have made for a passable entry in survivalist horror, but the twists and turns are taken much too far given the serious tone.
October 31, 2012
Eh, it was alright. The directing was surprisingly good, but the actors/actresses weren't so good at parts. There have been worse movies. I'll give it a higher rating for a somewhat unique plot device near the end. That was rather clever.
October 7, 2012
Most of the time I can appreciate these After Dark films for what they are- cheesy, low-budget horror starring mostly unknown actors. This one is all of those things, but in a bad way. The plot is practically stock, nothing I haven't seen a million times before. The acting is completely wooden. And it's just overall incredibly boring, and bloody rather than scary. There's nothing to like about this.
½ September 21, 2012
This movie surprised me with its plot twists, character development, oddly heartwarming moments, and the solid logic that tied it all together. It comes across as a charmingly bittersweet movie that had an unfortunate collision with a semi-unique horror flick. I say unfortunate because the two don't mix quite right, and in the end I couldn't tell whether or not I was actually entertained. I'd like to say I enjoyed Slaughter, because up close it appears to be a rather well-made movie. But viewed as a whole it just seems confused, and so was I.
½ September 2, 2012
This movie contains over 45 minutes of set up - way too long to convey a simple storyline of abuse and its consequences especially with just talking about it and not showing any of the abuse . Once you get past the slowly moving, barely interesting introduction, it ratchets up the pace and the tension, followed by adding the torture and blood /gore factor. Sadly, not enough elements to save it from the below average category, but close.
½ July 30, 2012
Not the best horror movies I've seen from After Dark, but was OK to check out
½ April 8, 2012
This wasn't as boring as everyone claims it is. The acting was mediocre and slow at times. It made me mad towards the end, because the killer got her way.
January 28, 2012
I want to see this for AnnaLynne McCord & Anotina Bernath.
½ January 27, 2012
Wtf? I dont get it.
January 20, 2012
Slaughter finally delivers on the twists of plot and the twistedness, but it is after an almost interminable amount of female boding, one night stands, clubbing, and "are you sure you shouldn't call the guy you just screwed" conversations. Slaughter plays like Gossip Girls visit the farm until the bodies stop dropping. The film's rather weak attempts at creating pathos fall flat, and its few moments of genuine creepiness and brutality cannot elevate it above the garbage that it is.
November 8, 2011
Tuesday, November 8, 2011

(2008) Slaughter
HORROR

Straight-to-rental horror film starts out promising, about a teenage girl's attempts to be independent again from an abused and controlling boyfriend, finally settles to living on a farm with another teenage girl, holding with her some dark secrets of her own! It says that it's inspired by actual events, but the film gets more convoluted as the film progresses! This is one of those films where the protagonist is nosy on one area without checking other places full of coincidences!

1 out of 4 stars
½ September 28, 2011
After Dark Films needs to just get out of the horror business, and dive right into the really bad drama category. Lifetime Movie Network could use some competition.
½ August 26, 2011
Gosto de filmes que têm reviravoltas, onde nada à (C) o que parece. Pena que as pà (C)ssimas atuações estragam os momentos que seriam de clímax e tensão.
½ August 26, 2011
Gosto de filmes que têm reviravoltas, onde nada é o que parece. Pena que as péssimas atuações estragam os momentos que seriam de clímax e tensão.