Cyrano De Bergerac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cyrano De Bergerac Reviews

October 1, 2012
If you prefer the theatrical then this is for you.
½ October 11, 2011
I love this story but unfortunately the mediocre performances from some of the actors ruined the play for me. No disrespect to the normally charming Jennifer Garner but I didn't like her in this at all. Kevin Kline was alright but I hated him in the final scene, it just dragged on too long. Chris Sarandon was great and Daniel Sunjata was good but seemed misplaced. I'm not a fan of this version of Cyrano.
½ April 14, 2010
This is the Broadway production of Cyrano that starred Kevin Kline and Jennifer Garner and was filmed. It is first rate and the only reason it lost half a star is for the schmaltzy, over the top ending, which isn't necessarily the fault of Kline or Garner.
½ August 27, 2009
Good enough but something's missing. I blame it on a bad Christian, played by Daniel Sunjata and a stiff interpretation of the story.
July 10, 2009
I was already familiar with the story of Cyrano from the French film featuring Gérard Depardieu as the classic poet. But it wasn't until seeing this that I was completely captivated by the story. The whole play is charming, but it was Kevin Kline as the title character that I fell in love with - his performance is big enough for the theatre, but subtle enough to be watched pleasingly on DVD; his talent for comedy is displayed often, as is his incredible gift for drama - my favorite scene remains the 'balcony scene', followed closely by the finally (I would say more why I love them, but it rather spoils the fun of seeing it yourself!).
Jennifer Garner plays a very sweet Roxanne, though her performance is much broader than a film performance would be (but of course, since it IS a recording of a stage show) and so is rather awkward at times on film.
Daniel Sunjata plays the lovestuck Christian, and gives an admirable performance.
March 7, 2009
My favorite Cyrano thus far. All my stars are for Kevin Kline. Unfortunately, Jennifer Garner seemed to have trouble meshing with her role as Roxane.
January 30, 2009
Excellently staged and brilliantly brought to life, this production surprised me with its wit and humor. Kevin Kline is nothing short of incredible, the epitome of what a stage actor should be. Garner looks lovely and makes the transition from screen to stage very comfortably with energetic prowess. The same can be said for Sunjata who brings a vibrant fervor to his character. The production design is incredible and the staging is inventive and exciting. This is truly a story for the ages. Bravo!
January 18, 2009
One of the greatest love stories ever, destroyed by one person. Most of the cast is quite good. Daniel Sunjata's Christian is sufficiently fluffy for us to believe his character. Kevin Kline, although he occasionally appears to be uncharacteristically (for Cyrano) mocking himself, is very charming in the title role. The translation used is not my personal favorite, and some of my favorite monologues have been chopped in half, but the overall beauty of the story and the language is still kept intact. However, the instant Jennifer Garner opens her mouth, all illusion is lost. She speaks all her lines as an obvious theater "newb," making bizarre theatrical gestures that do not in the least complement the lines, and overenunciating each word with the painstaking awkwardness of someone in a middle school production. Her voice is distractingly unsuited to the classical poetic sound of the story. She may be able to pass as an actress on screen, but on stage, where all camera magic and re-takes are stripped away, she is painfully exposed as having very little to offer. There is no reason either Christian or Cyrano should pine for the love of this bizarre, flailing Roxanne who insert soap opera inflections into each line. If only someone more able had been cast in this role, this would have been a very rewatchable version of my beloved story.
December 30, 2008
This was awesome play!!! The best I've seen In New York!!!! Proud to say my brother Carman Lacivita was in this play. The Sword Fight scene between Carman and Kevin Klien was WOW!!!!!!
December 30, 2008
Check out my Broadway debut on TV and DVD in the new year!!!
December 19, 2008
Read the book would love to see the film.