Me and Orson Welles Reviews

• Dec 30, 2020

McKay's performance is as golden and virtuosic as the man he portrays, yet I can't help but feel he's miscast in a way that completely alters Welles' dynamic with the rest of the Mercury, solely on account of the fact that McKay is 15 years senior to the 22yo historical figure being played.

• Jul 25, 2020

As its characters say about the play at the center of the movie, Me and Orson Welles itself is pretty much a film about nothing. Yes, it is very well acted with Christian McKay's performance being very charismatic. It's also very well made technically speaking. But, this is the kind of slight movie that has no themes to it whatsoever, it's pointless and simply way too lightweight in approach and execution.

• Apr 03, 2020

Uncanny portrayal of the young Orson Welles. Oh, and Linklater is a genius.

Uncanny portrayal of the young Orson Welles. Oh, and Linklater is a genius.

• Dec 25, 2019

Many don't love this, and I always feel tentative about recommending it, but it's basically a dialogue movie that gives a fly-on-the-wall view of Orson Welles as a stage director at the Mercury Theatre. Specifically, it illustrates his textbook narcissism in a way that's both instructive and (in my opinion) sensitive from a mental health perspective. It also does a beautiful job of capturing that starry-eyed feeling of a young person setting out on life in the big world. In that way it's similar to Almost Famous, which admittedly is probably a better movie, but I don't care; they're different. The last lines really stick with me. I gave my copy of this on DVD (never returned to Blockbuster, but intentionally because I loved it) to a hero of mine who I met. I don't know if he watched it. There are times when any "objective" sense of quality completely ceases to matter, because something resonates with you in a special way. This movie does that for me. I never even tried to act in or be a part of a play, because I knew I'd get terrible, unmanageable stage fright. But it's always something I admired. If you like plays, if you enjoy a movie like Birdman or Noises Off, I suspect you'll really like this too.

• Aug 06, 2018

Very enjoyable Richard Linklater film with a wonderful acting job by Christian McKay as Welles.

• Dec 30, 2017

Starting with the ungrammatical title, this movie spirals down fast. Christian McKay's convincing portrayal of Welles (especially his voice and accent) isn't enough to save it. Zac Ephron, hopelessly miscast, only knows how to act as if he were still in "High School Musical"; he never really seems sure of what he's supposed to be feeling or how he should react during dialogue, so he keeps a faux cynical / enigmatic smile on his face and coasts on his looks. I was honestly embarrassed for Claire Danes. How could she stay so perky and friendly? The script unrelentingly demeaned her (and all the other women characters). If I had finished watching it, perhaps I would have found something interesting, but the journey to that hypothetical point was not worth it.

• Feb 19, 2016

I don't think a film has ever made me crave being back in the theatre as much as Me and Orson Welles. Christian McKay gives an unbelievable performance as the titular character. He seriously deserves more recognition.

• Sep 17, 2015

This might be, in my opinion, Richard Linklater's most under appreciated film. This is one of Zac Efron's best movies and best performances. The visuals and tone are very very fitting to its time, and Christian McKat is spot on FANTASTIC as Orson Welles.

• Jul 25, 2015

Christian McKay está impresionante como Orson Wells, mientras Zac Efron ofrece vulnerabilidad e intensidad en su encarnación de un joven lleno de aspiraciones en el mundo del teatro. Richard Linklater consigue un filme con un irresistible toque a la Woody Allen, notablemente actuado y producido.

• Apr 06, 2015

A very entertaining film about working with Orson Wells. It doesn't feel like a Richard Linklater film in the sense of his other work but it is a well done departure from his normal work. Zac Efron is good as the lead and Claire Danes is quite great but the real shining star of this movie is Christian McKay as Orson Wells. He is spectacular in this and I can see why he picked up a BAFTA and Critics Choice nomination for this. Eddie Marson also did a great job in this. Great costumes and writing as well