The Lodger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lodger Reviews

November 25, 2015
I like this one, quite a bit more than I thought I would. A modern day Jack the Ripper that straight up references the murder spree from the time down to key evidence that they somehow had. A wrongful accusation a couple years back led to the execution of the wrong person. Alfred Molina, and the most unexpected killer and crazy twistful ending lead to the one of the most entertaining to watch murder mystery slasher thrillers that I've seen in a while, with very little graphic violence just to explain the point.
October 7, 2015
The story by this time is a bit fatigued but the film moves along well.
½ June 1, 2015
Another good cast bad script confusing mess.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A very nice thriller actually even tho its suppose to be a low budget movie. Story follows a murder on the loose with the same pattern as Jack the ripper.. I like crime thrillers so this flick was warmly welcomed. In the main role we have Alfred Molina (Octavius from Spiderman 2) and Rachael Leigh Cook with a smaller role. A few other famous faces aswell atleast to me. Give it a shot if u feel for it.
½ July 31, 2014
Never great, but a fair reworking of the Jack the Ripper material for a modern day setting, although there's a lot of creative license with it.
½ April 27, 2014
This is often described as a remake of Hitchcock's 1927 silent film but it actually would be better described as a remake (with expansion) of John Brahm's 1944 version. The story moves a bit too slowly for the film to be called a thriller but it is a pretty decent mystery with some quite good red herrings.
½ February 12, 2014
Terrible. Angelinos, especially, will be laughing at this one.
½ January 4, 2014
I have a fascination with the whole Jack the Ripper saga, it's a weird and dark time of England that can still fascinate people all these years later. In a remake of a Hitchcock film, a serial killer is offing hookers like Jack and the police are investigating it when they discover the connection. However, this film just wasn't that interesting. The whole modern day setting, to me, took away a lot of the mystique of the whole mystery and it makes the police just look really dumb. There was an interesting twist at the end, but I just couldn't be brought about to care about it.
December 9, 2013
Forget the critics, this film was very good and so glad it was available in HD on Netflix instant streaming. First off it was filmed in West Hollywood CA! I recognized the sheriff's station, some of the streets around WeHo, a brief shot of Chateau Marmont on Sunset is depicted. How strange and yet awesome to live where a movie was filmed. Second, with Simon Baker (star of hit tv show The Mentalist) as part of the cast I had to see it. Third, this film is based on a novel about Jack the Ripper murders and be warned that it is violent and a bit graphic. We have a methodical, smart and cunning serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, targeting prostitutes and dismembering them, removing their reproductive organs and leaving very few clues for the West Hollywood police department. Alfred Molina plays Chandler Manning, a WeHo cop trying to track down this vicious killer along with his partner Wilkenson (Shane West). In the meantime a couple that lives in that area rents their guesthouse to a handsome man named Malcolm (Simon Baker) who is very particular about not being bothered and likes his privacy too much. The landlady is beginning to suspect something is not right and wonders if her lodger is the killer. This film does have Brian de Palma twists oh most definitely and when I thought I figured out who is the killer BAM, a twist comes along. Ingenious writing and very good acting. Kudos to David Ondaatje the co-writer and director of The Lodger and believe me when I rave about this one. It has surprises along the way that makes you suspect so many people but in the end who truly wins and does the West Hollywood police department has what it takes to track down this clever killer...Two thumbs way up for THE LODGER
½ May 2, 2013
A brilliant cat and mouse style thriller.The killer in this film appears to be a copy cat of Jack The Ripper murders in a morden day American city.The detective must try and stop the killer before he strikes again.
April 27, 2013
great movie! keeps your attention through all the story, interesting story line plus different and strong personalities make it so exciting.
October 28, 2012
I loved this movie!!! The lodger had me going back and forth with myself on who the killer was!! Check this one out!!
October 14, 2012
Good homage to Hitchcock that has terrific film noir atmosphere.
½ September 23, 2012
Not that bad. It is pretty interesting and tense. But the ending, I didn't get it.
½ July 30, 2012
a strange film with some very mixed styles and characters. a lot going on inf ront of you and behind the characters. I liked it and i liked the back history to the jack the ripper murders.
November 14, 2011
As a neo-noir, The Lodger is pretty familiar material, but If I'll remember it for anything, (and that's a big 'if') it would be the body count, which is among the highest of anything I've seen in this genre. The story concerns an LAPD detective in search of a killer recreating JAck the Ripper's legacy.

I'll give the Lodger a bit of credit for its ability to keep you guessing, but that's just about all that the film is committed to doing. The story is shallow, and much of the dialogue sounds recycled. The acting isn't very good either, and screen time which should have been spent on more intellectual character interaction is wasted on unnecessary montages of time-lapse photography which looks like something from television.

Overall, the movie is watchable, but it could've amounted to more.
October 22, 2011
Clever and well acted version of the Hitchcock classic.
½ June 16, 2011
A bit bland, but not as awful as the critics would have you believe.
May 29, 2011
great cast and full of suspense
May 26, 2011
This was a Hitchcock? I'll have to see that version. Decent film. Sort of obsessed with anything involving Jack The Ripper.