Paper Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paper Man Reviews

½ July 8, 2016
A surprisingly heartfelt film. A movie about love in its many forms, holding on and knowing when to let go. The film does have its slow moments but you are able to keep watching and remain interested due to the moments of brilliant performances that touch the audience, led by Jeff Daniels and Emma Stone, sprinkled with bits of comedic relief from Ryan Reynolds. If you're in the mood for a quirky indie film that's slightly odd, a little bit weird but is centered around a strong message, then watch. Though the story tends to go down a weird road twisting around many indie film clichés, it ends in a place routed in knowing when to grow up. Paper Man makes you realize that life isn't always as horrible as we make it out to be and as long as you spend it with the ones who make you happy, even if that's yourself....Doesn't hurt to have Ryan Reynolds as your imaginary super hero sidekick either
½ April 29, 2016
Earnest and occasionally inventive but very muddled and overly somber quirky indie dramedy.
½ April 28, 2016
The acting is great but the pacing is a bit uneven. The plot is a bit awkward in places but this is a decent enough, gentle film that has something to say about friendship, emotional growth and starting afresh.
April 18, 2016
â??Paper Manâ?? is far from perfect, but it holds your interest as a character study because of strong performances by Daniels and Stone.
December 8, 2015
Well it's definitely the best I've seen Emma Stone. And the movie is only really interesting for the last half hour.
½ October 30, 2015
A writer with a writers block is taking some time away from his wife as she stays in the city, while he concentrates on his new book, getting peace at a cabin near a smaller town. He lacks inspiration, but he get's to know a younger lady named Abby.

Super performances by a very interesting cast. Emma Stone owns every second of her screen time. She is mysterious and interesting and not only character-wise. Impressive. The rest of the crew is also doing a good job. The imaginary characters are presented nicely. It's not stupid or overdone.
Neat soundtrack, great dialogues.

Touching and humorus. The first part is the funnier part and I feel it got a long build up that goes in the wrong direction. At that point I felt I was watching a mediocre film. The last 15 minutes or so are lifting it a whole lot.

A film with many aspects and touches. It's rather open for interpretation.
Sentimental and overlooked little gem. Not a fantastic film, but much better than you might think. It's about friendships, dreams, dealing with the truth, letting go and hope. Much to digest, but served on a pretty dish.

7.5 out of 10 soups.
September 23, 2015
The overwritten and only semi-cute dramedy is not a plausible film, but its characters and their interactions feel plausible. Perhaps (on paper) this film holds more weight than when translated to the screen.
August 19, 2015
Slow moving. Probably would like it if it was a comedy about an aging man and his imaginary friend, Captain Excellence, but that is not what this is.
May 25, 2015
Such an underrated movie. Emma Stone and Jeff Daniels are unbelievable.
April 13, 2015
Not what I was expecting, but really good for an independent movie
½ September 16, 2014
Kinda depressing rather than funny
August 11, 2014
surpreendmente muito bom
½ August 8, 2014
im giving it one half star for ryan reynolds' spandex. weird, stalker-y, boring, and rapey
July 2, 2014
Paper Man is an offbeat comedy drama about a troubled writer (Jeff Daniels) and the bond he forms with an equally troubled teen (Emma Stone). It took a while for this indie flick to grow on me but, ultimately it was the characters, and the performances by the actors who play them, that won me over. Emma Stone continues to surprise and is the real standout here as Abby but, there is also a very amusing turn by Ryan Reynolds as an imaginary superhero that inhabits the life of writer, Richard (Daniels). Rounding out the cast is a very un-Pheobe, Lisa Kudrow and a moody and mysterious Kieran Culkin. Definitely a flick for the art house crowd who will appreciate it's offbeat and whimsical approach to it's story.
May 11, 2014
I was not expecting this movie to be anywhere near this good. Caught me off-guard. Definitely not a "normal" film by any means. Although not as spectacular, it's a thinker like The Truman Show, which oddly enough stars Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniel's pal in Dumb and Dumber.

Jeff Daniels' and Emma Stone's performances are probably large factors in what makes this film as intriguing as it is. After all, they got me to write this longer-than-usual review., didn't they?
May 2, 2014
A quirky comedy drama with a big heart, strong script and wonderful performances from Stone, Daniels and Reynolds.
½ April 19, 2014
Review:
I quite enjoyed this light drama/comedy about a writer who has an imaginary Superman-like alter ego, who is played by Ryan Reynolds, and his new found friend who is played by Emma Stone. The storyline does take some time to get going, but once it does, it's quite sweet and enjoyable. All of the actors put in great performances, especially Jeff Daniels who plays the lead and is struggling to write a book throughout the movie. I liked the original concept which was cleverly put together, and the many different elements keeps you interested in the development of each characters storyline. Watchable!

Round-Up:
The poster that goes with this movie is very deceptive because it looks like it's about a superhero. As this movie was made in 2009, Emma Stone & Ryan Reynolds wasn't household names yet so it didn't make a big impact, which is a shame because I have seen worse. Lisa Kudrow, who plays Jeff Daniels wife, was a great choice by the director because her style of acting suited her role. Anyway, it's light hearted fun which has a deep undertone.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $14,000 (Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into there drama/comedies about a struggling writer who has a Superhero as an imaginary friend. 5/10
½ April 17, 2014
This is one of many independent films released on dvd in the UK with different titles (this one being renamed Unlikely Hero) and the cover picture being nothing to do with what happens in the film.
This is NOT a comedy and the star is NOT Ryan Reynolds, although he plays a important part to the film. It also doesn't help that the dvd company put a rating of 5 stars saying "hilarious".
This is more of a drama with some comedic moments, and the main focus is on Jeff Daniels and Emma Stone.
Jeff Daniels plays a writer who has a imaginary friend (Ryan Reynolds) forms a father/daughter like friendship with a 17 year old (Emma Stone) who also has an imaginary friend.

It's not a great film but the performances are brilliant, especially Jeff Daniels and Emma Stone.
DON'T EXPECT A LAUGH OUT LOUD COMEDY!!!
April 16, 2014
I don't really understand the many negative reviews, I however loved this film. For me it was less about the failings of the man's writing career and more about his failing to connect with the world in a ways that gave him a purpose. I get it, and the film and its character spoke to me. It's far from perfect but there are so many big blockbusters that seem to get rave reviews all the while have all the depth of a dried up puddle. I loved paper man (Unlikely Hero UK DVD release) and the five year wait for UK release was so worth it.
January 14, 2014
Solid independent film with strong acting by Daniels, Stone and Kudrow. Reynolds chews the scenery just like the part calls for.