Crips and Bloods: Made in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crips and Bloods: Made in America Reviews

September 6, 2011
A very interesting look at gang warfare on California. Peralta tells the story of the history of gangs and how they have evolved to their modern versions in an exciting and informative way. They capture the opinions of people from all sides of the situation, reducing a lot of bias from the story.
July 15, 2011
A very good documentary actually.
June 26, 2011
Good solid documentary linking the rise of the crips and bloods to the history of the Watts riots and making some fairly tenous links to say oh its so and so's fault.

It was pretty well done though, the interviews with a lot of talking head gang members describing the various aspects of gang life were well put together and made for a very good documentary.

I liked Peralta's directing, I liked Dog Town and Z boys too and I think this was right up his street. Its good that there is an element of moral and social conscience analysis here. Saying "what should we do about this problem".

I just read in the paper this week that gang crime and crime in general is on the decline in the US and has been for several years now and they are trying to figure out why - the section on the ridiculously big prison population probably answers that question!
½ June 9, 2011
A very interesting documentary
½ May 28, 2011
Great documentary detailing the origins of this feud and how it continues to be one of America's greatest hidden tragedies. The use of archival footage and historicaly accurate facts makes this documentary hard-hitting and poignant, even for those who are unaware of the historical trajectory of black America.
½ May 11, 2011
Informative, not Stacy Peralta's best, but certainly entertaining. It's definitely a story worth telling, especially since all these gangsta flicks seem to glorify the violence. Once again, great soundtrack.
½ April 29, 2011
An outrageous documentary which doesn't make sense.
April 26, 2011
I'm about to embark on this journey...what color is your flag...
April 24, 2011
Another great documentary from pro-skater turned filmmaker Stacy Peralta. A slick, stylized documentary film that examines the origins of LA gang violence of the Crips and Bloods.
April 23, 2011
it seems to be good movie
horrible
April 17, 2011
Very good documentary on what happened to start these L.A. gangs.
April 7, 2011
Amazing documentary on the history of LA's street gangs the Crips & Bloods
March 25, 2011
Honestly I think the whole "gang" thing is ignorant, but this film really makes you respect the struggles those people had to endure. Im white and it made me hate white people living in that specific place at that specific time.
½ March 14, 2011
Worst movie ever. Just a film that let's the black community blame the white man for their problems. 1/2 star for Some legit historical outlines.
March 9, 2011
Great documentary about the origins of the Crips & Bloods...to think, black gangs started back in the 40s and 50s as their own version of the Boy Scouts since they weren't allowed to join. The only thing I wish they delved into more is the history of the 2 gangs. It was more about the effects of gangs on urban American than its history. But overall a good flick. I mean, come on...it's narrated by Forest Whitaker!
February 24, 2011
Not so much about the Crips and Bloods specifically and more about the history of gang violence in L.A. On broader scale, it also goes into the general oppression of blacks in America throughout history. In the beginning seems like the director is trying to justify the gang's actions connecting both topics. Good documentary for understanding psychologically those groups, but it evident the lack of information on the history of both gangs.
February 8, 2011
Don't miss this.A Solid Picture
½ February 7, 2011
Perfunctory. Somehow the Watts Riots & Rodney King Riot footage & history was most useful of all.
February 6, 2011
Fresh Doc Now Playing on Netflix Give it a Look.