Wonder Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Woman Reviews

½ September 17, 2015
Pretty decent introduction to DC's female counterpart to Superman as Aries, the god of war, plans some global thermonuclear annihilation in order to take over the reins on Mt.Olympus. More than simply a super reflection of the big guy however, Wonder Woman does boldly represent ideas of equality between the sexes, introducing the times when such introductions aren't necessary at all.
June 9, 2012
Hopefully this is at least some sort of inspiration for the impending live-action feature...Excellent!
August 1, 2011
As good as an animated origin Wonder Woman film is going to get. Honestly though, I have very little interest in the idea of a feminazi Utopian island created by Greek gods and the warrior princess who prances around on it.

I just find the idea of Wonder Woman so... obnoxiously obsessed with outdated, elementary, oversimplified "gender wars", but alas, this is a pretty decent animated film.

Not only does it humor and have a good script but it has character development, complexities, and relationships that actually perpetuate the story. I mean sure, it all dwindles down to a stupid smash-and-bash ending but c'mon, it's an animated super-hero film.

Speaking of, the animation is absolutely astounding, some of the best stuff I've seen from the "West" (Japanese still easily step all over this, unfortunately.) which is essentially the highlight of the film. Watching Diana and her gal pals beat shit up is great.

Let's just say, this particular genre's standards have been pretty low. Making this an achievement on DC's part.
deano
½ July 29, 2009
The DC Comics animated action film is outstanding, especially the fight scenes. The dialogue is good, as is the voice acting including Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Alfred Molina, Rosario Dawson, Virgina Madsen and more, and all suit the characters very well. I also liked the story, though how accurate it is to the DC comic book. I do know it's nice to have a strong female superhero character who can hold her own with any guy, and I don't just mean physically or intellectually. There is actually a pretty funny scene which illustrates this point, but I won't get into it here.
½ April 28, 2009
Wonder Woman: It's all true, isn't it, Steve? Everything my mother warned me about man's world is true. She even told me you'd try to seduce me, and I, like a fool, told her, "For now, let's only expect the best from the pilot." You tried to get me drunk. As if you could out drink an Amazon, you pathetic lightweight.
Col. Steve Trevor: [Sees thugs approaching] Oh, crap.
Wonder Woman: [Unaware of the thugs] Yes, I knew exactly what you were trying to do. And please don't use that language around me.

Another superhero entry from the Warner Premier animated film studio. Its pretty solid as an origin story for Wonder Woman, providing plenty of fast paced story telling, action, and humor. A solid voice cast as well.

After a big battle opening, we are taken to the mystical island of Themyscria, the home of the Amazons (super hot Greek warrior women), where a Unites States pilot, Steve Trever, voiced by Nathon Fillion, has crash landed. It is soon decided that he must be escorted back by the Amazon princess Diana, voiced by Keri Russell. Problems arise as Diana must also deal with the Greek god Ares, voiced by Alfred Molina, who has escaped from his imprisonment and seeks revenge against the Amazonians.

The story is very tightly written, putting a lot of focus on the Amazon's distrust of men in general, but as far as accuracy goes, this flick does a very good job at putting all of the elements of Wonder Woman together effectively, even if her invisible jet just sort of enters the scene without much explanation.

As mentioned, the voice cast is pretty well assembled, also including Rosario Dawson, Virginia Madsen, and Oliver Platt. Molina does good in the villain role. Russell is standard as the hero, but bouncing off of Fillion, who is quite enjoyable, makes it all work nicely enough.

Hippolyta: Here the true nature of men is laid bare. What other depraved thoughts must you be thinking?
Col. Steve Trevor: God, your daughter's got a nice rack.

This film also certainly balances its PG-13 rating well enough to include a lot of very violent battle scenes, which certainly make no excuses about the uses of swords and arrows against flesh and blood people (as well as minotaurs, zombie babes, and griffins).

I really quite enjoyed this entry into the animated DC catalog.

President's Adviser: Mr. President, the threat has been neutralized.
The President: How?
President's Adviser: It seems by a group of armored supermodels.
Beefy
March 9, 2009
Another solid film from Warners Animated, this one is a bit more violent than expected and has a welcome, though slightly incongruous, sense of humor courtesy of Nathan Fillion's line deliveries.
February 28, 2009
Wow. So good that it reduces the need for a live action version. The animation is stunning and the story fantastic. We're taken from Wonder Woman's origins through to her current status as hero. Mythology of all sorts rears it head, adding sumptuous visuals and original action sequences. There are planes, winged beasties, huge battles and more. The film touches on themes of sexism, but also celebrates femininity without becoming feminist propaganda. The vocal cast is just as good as any Hollywood blockbuster. Molina adds his vocal chords to another villainous comic book role. Fillion is his charming and heroic self and the ladies are all feisty but also carry a certain amount of wisdom. I have a feeling that animation is the perfect medium for Wonder Woman, and I hope many sequels are to come.
June 9, 2013
Wonder Woman finally gets her own feature in this fantastical adventure from DC Universe. When a U.S. Air Force pilot crashes on the mysterious island of Themyscira, the queen's daughter Diana is chosen to return him to his home, but along the way she discovers that Ares, the God of War, has been unleashed and is gathering an army. Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Oliver Platt, and Rosario Dawson lead the voice cast and give solid performances. However, the sexist tones of the material are handled rather awkwardly and interfere with the storytelling. Additionally, the animation style is somewhat crude and lacks depth. While it has problems, Wonder Woman is still an impressive and exciting look at one of DC's most unique characters.
April 26, 2009
Another good animated production of DC title if only the WB were this competent with their live action stuff (barring DK and BB). A faithful if slightly modified version of the Wonder Woman story with plenty of action and violence.
January 25, 2014
Wonder Woman's solo outing is like all others under a similar format with the usual taste in action at a respective standard. It's also a typical DC Comics animated film, which is a good thing with the usual qualities that are general merits even when they're repeated; however the typicality is on the flawed pace of the storyline that'd brought in duds and unappealing violence while forgetting some elements. Going back to the film's merits, it'd communicated and done a focus on feminism, which was well put as this film was before the trend of strong female leads. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
October 9, 2014
I love most of these straight-to-DVD releases of animation that both DC and Marvel have been putting out. Although Wonder Woman isn't at the top of my list of comic heroines, to complete my collection, I had to get it. And I watched it. The animation was good. I'm not sure why DC felt obligated to throw in some gratuitous language and sexual innuendo to give it a PG-13 rating, but it's your basic Wonder Woman origin story, modernized. Keri Russell is NOT woman enough for the voice and seems miscast. Otherwise, it was adequate story combined with excellent animation. If you like this kind of stuff, you won't be disappointed, but if this isn't your cup of tea, don't waste your time.
June 14, 2014
Gal Gadot and the filmmakers of the upcoming live action films need to watch this. This is how you introduce and create a female superhero that will rival, and probably surpass, her male counterparts.
January 27, 2014
Here you go, Hollywood! Here's your blockbuster Wonder Woman movie. Seriously, adapt this thing. It's perfect! I'm sick of all the tired excuses for why there isn't a live action Wonder Woman movie. It just sounds like lazy sexism at this point. If this CARTOON can successfully tell the story of Princess Diana Hollywood should be able to as well.
July 13, 2013
A well adapted version of Wonder Woman that actually follows the comics really well, even for an animated film. The moral in Wonder Woman is great too, teaching us a lesson that man and women should be balance and that's actually true. It's a good film to watch for beginner Wonder Woman fans. It's worth watching for an young adult audience cause they're are some moments when there is blood, alcohol and language.
½ April 11, 2013
Better than average animated retelling of Wonder Woman's origin story. Well acted by the voice actors. Not bad animation, but on the limited side; definitely not cutting edge. The story moves at a pretty good pace, however it would have been nice to get to know some of the other Amazons better. Worth your time.
Sam
½ November 4, 2012
I may get a lot of heat for this, I feel like this is better than Batman: Mask of Phantasm and Justice League: Doom. It is the origin story that I hope to see in a future live-action Wonder Woman movie, full of action and Wonder Woman's big heart. The romance between her and Steve Trevor seemed real and you could really see the strong yet loving personality of Princess Diana.
May 2, 2010
oh god.. please dont mess this up.. no... it can't be... is that Megan Fox?! dear god... have mercy.
½ October 19, 2012
[i]Wonder Woman[/i], the fourth straight-to-DVD animated feature film from Warner Premiere and Warner Animation (after [i]Superman: Doomsday[/i], [i]Justice League: New Frontier[/i], and [i]Gotham Knight[/i]) is an adaptation of the DC Comics character of the same name directed by Lauren Montgomery ([i]Superman: Doomsday[/i]) with a screenplay by Michael Jelenic and a story by Jelenic and current [i]Wonder Woman[/i] writer Gail Simone ([i]Birds of Prey[/i], [i]Welcome to Tranquility[/i], [i]All-New Atom[/i], [i]Gen-13[/i]). A classic superhero origin story, [i]Wonder Woman[/i] takes its inspiration from George Perez's reboot of the Wonder Woman comic book series that, in turn, followed the [i]Crisis on Infinite Earth's[/i] mini-series that rebooted the entire DC Universe.

[i]Wonder Woman[/i] opens in the distant past, as Hippolyta (voiced by Virginia Madsen), the Amazon Queen, leading a battle of her Amazons against Ares (Alfred Molina), the God of War, and their son, Thraxx (Jason Miller). Some Amazons fall in battle, but so does Thraxx. As Hippolyta prepares to dispatch Ares to the underworld, his father, the Greek God Zeus (David McCallum) stops Hippolyta from administering the coup de grace. In return for Hippolyta's forbearance, Zeus and his goddess wife, Hera (Marg Helgenberger), offer Hippolyta and the Amazons limited immortality (they can be injured and die, but otherwise live forever) and an island paradise, Themyscira, but with one condition: permanently keeping the depowered Ares prisoner on the island. In time, the gods reward Hippolyta with a daughter of her own, Diana (Keri Russell).

With constant training and instruction, Diana grows up into a fiercely capable warrior princess and chafes at her overprotective mother's limitations on her activities. When, however, a U.S. Air Force pilot, Col. Steve Trevor (Nathan Fillion), crash lands on Themyscira, and Ares makes good his escape into the outside world, the challenge falls on the Amazons to send one of their own to the outside world. After a competition leaves Diana as the winner, she?s rewarded with the Lasso of Truth, a golden tiara, and the Wonder Woman costume. From there, [i]Wonder Woman[/i] follows Diana as she tries to acclimate to the outside world and its retrograde gender politics and stop Ares before he repowers and begins another war against humankind.

[i]Wonder Woman[/i] efficiently covers the dramatic and emotional beats of the superhero (or superheroine, to be more accurate) origin story, from receiving or winning her superpowers and costume, to defeating her first major villain, with her maturation and independence providing Diana with the necessary character arc. Besides Steve Trevor, Diana?s foil and romantic interest, [i]Wonder Woman[/i] includes several Amazons, Artemis (voiced by Rosario Dawson), Alexa (Tara Strong), and Persephone (Vicki Lewis), as well as Hades (Oliver Platt), the God of the Underworld, Zeus' brother, and Ares' uncle, here depicted as a self-indulgent, corpulent, duplicitous deity. Hades is less the familiar god of Greek mythology than Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and inebriation (Bacchus in Roman mythology).

Like its direct-to-DVD predecessors, [i]Wonder Woman[/i] doesn't shy away from realistic violence (to the extent that animated violence can be depicted as "realistic"), fully meriting its "PG-13" rating. Amazons are, after all, warriors, and warriors fight and fall in battle, their souls transported to the Greek underworld. American soldiers who confront Ares' rampaging demon army in Washington, D.C. die too (mostly off-camera, though). Heads literally roll (typically via semi-tasteful silhouette). All that violence, however, rarely feels gratuitous, thanks to Lauren Montgomery's tightly paced direction. [i]Wonder Woman[/i] never feels too long or two short, a problem that afflicted the earlier entries in the direct-to-DVD animated series.

The animation too is much improved from previous entries. Working with Korean-based Moi Animation Studio, Montgomery and, presumably, DC animation producer Bruce Timm ([i]Justice League: The Animated Series[/i], [i]Superman: The Animated Series[/i], [i]Batman: The Animated Series[/i]), struck the right balance between storytelling needs (e.g., character designs, background detail and texture, set pieces) and the usually limited direct-to-DVD budget. Besides Wonder Woman's revealing costume, while will never change, at least not significantly, the only real problem Montgomery and Timm face is that the "fish out of water" scenario used so effectively in [i]Wonder Woman[/i] has limited utility in subsequent entries (if and when Warner Premiere/Warner Animation greenlights a sequel).
½ October 19, 2012
I liked the movie. After watching the series and other cartoons for years, I believe it did a good job.
September 1, 2012
I hope they should make a live-action Wonder Woman movie pretty soon and fast. But the DC Universe version of the animated movie is one of the best movies I've had on DVD and I wonder who should play Wonder Woman? My pick would have to be... Sean Penn's ex-wife, Robin Wright Penn.