Wonder Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Woman Reviews

½ March 28, 2015
Really surprised me because I'm totally unfamiliar with the character and honestly the name seemed to be very... cartoonish? Not really sure, but the important thing is, WOW! From the very start, you are enthralled with the great animation, and the characters and the dialogue. I mean seriously! Wow! And even the story, while predictable, is still fun to watch happening. The dynamic between characters, especially Diana (Wonder Woman) and Trevor, and Artemis and whoever she deals with, are all very nice to see. Seriously great film. I believe it's the best so far from the DC Universe Animated Original Movies (I've watched the first 4 in order), followed by Superman: Doomsday, Justice League: The New Frontier, and Batman: Gotham Knight. Once again! Really great movie! The only thing I have to say I don't like too much is Wonder Woman's clothing. I feel like it detracts from the character, and is what made me not have better expectations going into the movie. At the very least a skirt, like how all the other Amazons are wearing! Anyways... Still, really good film.
½ February 28, 2015
Superhero movies tend to focus heavily on origin stories, at least in their debut entries, to a point where the origin story almost always gets re-told when a new cinematic continuity begins. That gets tiring after a while, but Wonder Woman, who has long been deemed less-marketable to the general public than her male counterparts in the DC Universe lineup, hasn't had her story told as many times as say, Batman, Superman, or Marvel heroes such as Spider-Man and Iron-Man.

All of this is simply to say that Wonder Woman's story is told in a pretty fresh way here. My only significant experience with the pre-reboot Wonder Woman (this movie predates the New 52 and is also disconnected from the recent Justice League animated movies) was in fact in the Justice League cartoons from the nineties. There Wonder Woman's origin was presented in a very truncated manner to get her involved in an animated universe she hadn't been introduced to yet. Here her story is told in full.

The 2009 Wonder Woman movie is to my knowledge standalone; it doesn't involve other DC characters, it doesn't connect to any other DC animated media, and it is a self-contained story that can be enjoyed on its own. Well-animated and well-acted, and for the most part well-written, the movie is a fun ride almost all the way through.

"Almost" because this movie isn't just mindless action: it contains and rather heavily pushes feminist messages, emphasized through the perspective of a woman warrior who is entering man's world for the first time and being disenchanted by things taken for granted as normal in every day life. I have no problem with these messages, the points being made or the fact of the movie making them; my issue is mainly with execution. I feel it could have and should have been dialed back. The interesting thing is that the movie DOES turn its own messages on their head, the ultimate moral being that communication between men and women is a far better path to resolution than solidifying the wall between two "cultures," and that barring women from traditionally feminine choices is not the same as truly being free from gender oppression.

But this aspect of the movie has about as much subtlety as a battering ram. I found the movie more comfortable to watch on a second playthrough, when I could (for example) enjoy the quirky and amusing writing for the scene in which Steve Trevor takes Wonder Woman to the bar and tries to get her drunk--rather than feeling vaguely uncomfortable by the scene being a bit "much" (and also a bit silly, since I don't see much sense in pulling that sort of crap on a woman who can literally pick a man up and fling him into the ceiling).

That complaint aside, though, the actual plot focuses on Wonder Woman combating a threat from Greek mythology, namely Ares, god of war. Much like Aquaman, Wonder Woman seems to do her best work when she's operating inside the bubble of her native politics--in her case Greek things. The New 52 Wonder Woman series utilizes this to great effect and so does this movie. I just would have liked it better had the story's morals not been so in-your-face the entire time.
February 25, 2015
Best Wonder Woman movie so far! The ONLY one so far. Gal Gadot has a lot to prove to me.
January 7, 2015

½ November 16, 2014
For the most part, this is pretty standard fair for a DC animated movie but the sheer force of the women in this movie deserves and extra half star.
October 9, 2014
I love most of these straight-to-DVD releases of animation that both DC and Marvel have been putting out. Although Wonder Woman isn't at the top of my list of comic heroines, to complete my collection, I had to get it. And I watched it. The animation was good. I'm not sure why DC felt obligated to throw in some gratuitous language and sexual innuendo to give it a PG-13 rating, but it's your basic Wonder Woman origin story, modernized. Keri Russell is NOT woman enough for the voice and seems miscast. Otherwise, it was adequate story combined with excellent animation. If you like this kind of stuff, you won't be disappointed, but if this isn't your cup of tea, don't waste your time.
½ October 3, 2014
As the definitive Wonder Woman animated movie from DC Comics, this is a must watch, as it's also the best portrayal of Diana and her Amazon sisters in a feature animation. It wouldn't even be ludicrous to suggest that Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman movie should be based off this animation and/or the source material from George Perez.
September 19, 2014
Amazonas lesbianas zombie!
½ September 11, 2014
Fantastic cast, intriguing (if occasionally slow) storyline, and intense, kinetic animation. Many of the male characters, even the good guys, are incredibly unappealing, aesthetically speaking. Conversely, the women look fantastic, though many of them resemble one another a little too much. The cast is one of the film's greatest assets. Nathan Fillion and Keri Russell, who had great chemistry in Waitress, continue to have it herein. Oliver Platt proves that he can steal every scene he's in, even in animated features.
August 31, 2014
just to see if it's gonna suck, and it did not.
July 26, 2014
My girls loved it despite it being violent and gorey for a cartoon
July 21, 2014
Close to the top of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies
June 24, 2014
Near perfect animated movie that show how great a wonder woman movie could be. Great cast great animation and an origin story that dose not ignore its feminine elements.
June 14, 2014
Gal Gadot and the filmmakers of the upcoming live action films need to watch this. This is how you introduce and create a female superhero that will rival, and probably surpass, her male counterparts.
½ June 5, 2014
I haven't been let down by a DC animated feature yet. I definitely like them better than the more kid-friendly Marvel ones.
May 17, 2014
Makes me believe in the potential of a WW TV series or movie.
May 11, 2014
Very fun WW story. Is it for kids? Probably not. There is a lot of adult jokes and material discussed. PG 13 is very correct. I really like the portrayal of WW and her perception of our world is great. If you are a fan of superhero animation this is a must.
April 20, 2014
has everything going 4 it: adventure, comedy, action & classical mythos. this premise should b the blueprint 4 the live action movie.
March 13, 2014
Now, if only we have a live-action big-screen Wonder Woman movie.
March 13, 2014
Now, if only we have a live-action big-screen Wonder Woman movie.