I Am Dina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Dina Reviews

July 30, 2013
I was open mouthed through most of the film, transfixed by Dina, what she'd do next, her craziness. Transfixed. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ April 1, 2013
4/5 If there was a ever movie with all genres blended together, "I Am Dina" is it --- a bit psychotic thriller, tragic drama, denied romances and suspenseful action...this all happens to Dina, whom you feel for as she stares down your soul before you die: "Look at me." Acting is superb by lead actress Marie Bonnevie (and Mikkelsen, Eccleston, Depardieu), the cinematography/shots are breathtaking...plot is strange but in a haunting WTF kind of way!
½ January 16, 2013
I'll admit that the only reason I watched this was because it was somehow darkly and creepily fascinating.

While the mood and style of the film reminded me of El laberinto del fauno, the main character's cold blood is reminiscent of The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Not a film many will enjoy; I don't exactly recommend this or urge anyone to watch it.
½ November 8, 2012
hot. stable boy. action.
½ March 1, 2012
Great story, great cinematography, great atmosphere. Simply a "must see" !!!
December 25, 2011
an absolutely good flic. well timed and and keeps you going.
December 19, 2011
Phenomenal cinematography and screen play drive this engaging drama. Solid watch now pick on Netflix.
October 29, 2011
A beautifully filmed historical drama. This isn't a typical costume drama though, as the story is dark and sometimes disturbing. The cinematography is breathtaking, and Maria Bonnevie's performance is simply stunning.
July 3, 2011
the lead is incredibly demented, it's riveting.
May 23, 2011
Like a Thomas Hardy adaptation on crack, Bornedal's femme fatale is both victim and predator as the men in her life fall prey to her dark charms and rapacious sexual appetite. Bonnevie plays the lassie with a screw loose with admirable vigour, eating up the scenery while a fine company of male actors meet their undeserved fate at her hands. Lusciously filmed and costumed, IaD compels the viewer into its dream-like structure, conveying Dina's fall from grace with a ravishing style. However, I found it hard to decipher the tone of the film as it veers sharply between sympathy for and disapproval of its damaged and dangerous protagonist. Despite its lack of focus in this regard, Dina is a strong and controversial story and worth a view especially for the amazing performance from its leading lady.
May 2, 2011
I thought it was fantastic. Enjoyed much!
February 17, 2011
love the way she stands strong for herself
½ November 12, 2010
"It's strange, Dina, how people always die around you."

Favorite scene:
Where Jacob swears in front of God and everyone that he shall never again carry on like a stallion. Ha ha.

Best performance:
Bjorn Floberg as Dina's father.

Random thoughts:
What is this I don't even. I am Dina and I'm a crazy bitch. There, I just summarized the entire movie.

The friendship between Dina and Lorch was very touching, right up until she tried to kill him. Yeah, yeah, I get it - girl has abandonment issues and she thinks she's done the people she's killed a favor. The way she treated Tomas was atrocious. As well as everyone around her. Not a likable character at all.

But, overall, I suppose it was somewhat compelling. And the scenery, exquisitely beautiful. Ending was crummy, though.
October 11, 2010
Well done Scandinavian flick. Many dark twists. The girl in this movie was psychotic, but I always found myself feeling very bad for her.
½ March 29, 2010
Disturbing yet mesmerizing. Seriously disturbed people in a period drama with lots of dark images and a russian Christopher Eccleston, what could be better? Just don't watch it, if you've ever lost a parent -- or anybody.
February 22, 2010
2009 ??????????? POUR QUI ????????????????
Ce film est sorti depuis au moins 5 ans !!!!
½ December 11, 2009
Great cinematography and great performance by Maria Bonnevie. But it was also painful to watch sometimes because of the accents and also because of the subject matter. Dina can turn violent and it's not beautiful at all... it's a bit depressing.
November 15, 2009
Quite powerful story played very well by actor Maria Bonnevie. Rest of the cast is also very nice compilation of familiar and unfamiliar faces, Gerard Depardieu especially very good in his role. Nice looking film, but I wanted something more from the plot.
½ October 8, 2009
Niesamowity jest fakt, że ten film w ogóle powsta?, że aktorzy chcieli tak grac, że kto? da? pieni?dze facetowi, który w banalny sposób bawi si? w Strindberga i Bergmana.Przybyszewski (ten) by?by zachwycony...pó? gwiazdki za zdj?cia.
½ September 15, 2009
A bit one dimensional but i liked it. the English with accents bothered me, but what can you do.