Global Metal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Global Metal Reviews

November 29, 2015
A little too silly, maybe?
½ September 11, 2014
Educational and entertaining. Being a Canadian metalhead, this was really insightful about how metal fits in with other countries and cultures around the world; how it plays an important part in societies.
½ February 5, 2013
The second doc from Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen, on metal delves into the effects of heavy metal music around the globe. It is very interesting and again told via Sam Dunn's travels to meet some of his heroes, and in this case, to develop new international heroes in places as unlikely to find metal music as the middle east, and China. Doesn't hurt that he manages to yet another shot in about the whole Metallica VS Napster thing, directly to Lars from Metallica, when it comes out that the only reason some of these countries have heard metal is by "illegally" downloading music, including Metallica. Well made. Can't wait for another doc from these guys.
½ October 13, 2012
An excellent oveview of the cultural impact that 'heavy metal' music has had in non-Western countries.
½ September 1, 2012
pretty good, but not as good as the headbanger's journey.
½ June 15, 2012
I appreciated this more than A Headbanger's Journey, which I felt painted an incomplete picture of the scope of heavy metal music. This documentary chooses to avoid that and instead look at the differences between countries, especially those in which modern music is only just developing. It's a very illuminating way to look at the subject, and full of interesting tidbits.
½ May 4, 2012
As with all sequels, it's not as fun as the original, but it is made with an amazing level of care.
April 15, 2012
Way, WAY better than Headbanger's journey.
½ March 6, 2012
Interesting look at how metal has spread all across the world. Really feels like he could have made a whole series of this as he leaves so much of the world unexplored.
January 29, 2012
Vad glad jag blir över att se glada och peppade människor som är på konsert. Jag ryser och får en grym längtan efter få gå på det jag älskar mest av allt, en fet jävla konsert där stämningen är helt underbar och alla är där för samma ändamål. Blir besviken på mig själv över att jag bara var på 2st festivaler i år. Fy skäms Staffan. Nästa år måste det bli mera.
January 27, 2012
Interesting but someone that dosent listen to metal music wount wach it.
January 20, 2012
A great collection of views towards Metal, rock-culture and artistic expression in general all wrapped up within a neat presentation of cultures around the globe, excluding North America. A variety of name-dropping offered me the opportunity to learn not only of the historical timeline of metal in culture, but also various sub-genres of metal and the bands representing them. The topic of the nature of freedom and oppression is very prevalent and the prejudice towards metalheads is also expressed through the documentary. I learned a lot and appreciate the genre a lot more than I did before watching this. Also didn't know the film-maker (Sam Dunn) is a fellow Canadian. I would recommend this film to anyone who wishes to understand rock culture and culture through a greater scope.
January 4, 2012
A steady and well constructed progression from the last documentary (Metal: A Headbanger's Journey). it does a good job of showing the vast differences of metal in different countries. Where the first teaches you about metal. This one shows you metal of the world and how the world is affected by metal.
October 30, 2011
A follow-up to Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, this one still seemed both pretentious and not underground enough. The filmmaker, an anthropologist, travels across the globe interviewing bands from various countries. There was some really interesting portions, especially the Indonesian (I am sure going to seek out some Tengkorak recordings!) and Middle East segments. This film should be watched in conjunction with the previously mentioned film, Flight 666 and Heavy Metal in Baghdad. I would have done it so much differently...but its metal, so its still good.
½ October 8, 2011
Interesante b√ļsqueda documental, pero de investigaci√≥n mediocre e insuficiente. El hecho de que Sam Dunn se ubique como protagonista e hilo conductor dell documental es el recurso m√°s c√≥modo, facilista y adem√°s egoc√ (C)ntrico que pudo haber ocurrido. La revisi√≥n subraya lugares en que el metal llega como si estuviera empezando y por lo tanto es visto como amenaza. Este hecho sirve paara ilustrar la desigualdad mundial de la que es presa el mundo.

Puntos interesantes: los bizarros gustos de Marty Friedman, una banda legendaria de China y las historias dedl intercambio black metal entre un noruego nazi y judios.

Sólo para metaleros.
September 16, 2011
?????? ???????????? ???? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ?????. ?????? ???? ?? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? ????? ? ????? ??????? ???? ? ????? :)
½ September 9, 2011
I enjoyed this film but felt it seemed a bit rushed, like he had to get someplace before i wanted that section of the movie to end,I would have loved for him to explore a little more in some of the places he visited and get more in depth with the metal scene in that area and maybe showcase some more bands that were making a scene there. I love the fact that metal music reaches so many people and changes there lives for the better and brings people together.Sam Dunn's narration in the movie is good, his voice never gets old and never makes you wish he would shut up,The interaction between him and the people he interviews is cool and it seems as if they feel comfortable with each other. I love metal music i just wish more of it was showcased in this film, overall if you like or love metal you should enjoy this film.
½ August 1, 2011
Africa and Australia should have had their own segments, that hindered this. But metal united, all over the world! It brings a massive smile to my face =)
½ July 23, 2011
A fascinating documentary!
½ July 17, 2011
A must watch for metal fans... and even if you aren't, this movie is still definitely worth watching!