Helen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Helen Reviews

May 4, 2015
An okay story but with a very dry and lacklustre execution. Some fine performances here and there, but still uninspiring and cliched overall, closer to a LifeTime TV movie of the week than anything.
½ December 15, 2014
An honest and difficult portrayal of the struggle on all sides of depression.
½ October 16, 2014
As a sufferer of mental illness, I can deeply relate to these characters. For those who don't suffer or have someone in their life who does, they will not likely enjoy this movie.
½ August 11, 2014
Não gostei da forma que a atriz retrata a depressão, parece muito falsa pelo teor do drama, devia ser algo mais parado.
½ April 20, 2014
I think the best part about this movie is the mostly accurate portrayal of major depression. There is nothing that anyone else can do about it and it requires medical attention. The rest of the movie was pretty good.
½ January 20, 2014
This movie could have been much better, it drags along to the point one almost is bored, just waiting for something to happen. When things do finally happen, such as the actual breakdown scenes, the breakdown of Helen, one finally hopes for more storyline, more substance. It just never comes. The movie is 'agonizingly slow'. as another person said here. Goran Visnjic was excellent as the husband who bears the burden of his wife's illness. Ashley Judd just barely makes it in portraying a woman with serious illness. I call it poor direction by Sandra Bettelbeck.
½ August 11, 2013
Boring. Depressing. Not worth watching.
½ August 11, 2013
A very depressing movie about deep depression, as expected. These kinds of movies are never fun to watch....Ashley Judd did a very convincing job.
April 26, 2013
Helen (Sandra Nettlebeck, 2009)

Ashley Judd is singularly excellent at playing people who are about to break down, in the process of breaking down, or have just broken down. I'm not sure what, if anything, that says about Ms. Judd's personal life, but it does make many of her performances schadenfreude-style treats when consumed on the big screen. And the first thirty-odd minutes of Sandra Nettlebeck's Helen are described perfectly by this. Unfortunately, the movie runs two hours.

Plot: Helen (Judd) and David (ER's Goran Visnjic) are a seemingly happy couple whose life couldn't be better-that is, until Helen begins changing. It's not much of a spoiler to tell you that she's sliding into depression (like I said, this stage of the film is its first quarter, give or take). And we're not talking rainy-day blues here, we're talking crippling, life-threatening depression. She eventually hits bottom and deserts her family-and her doctor-to bond with Mathilde (Lie with Me's Lauren Lee Smith), a similarly-affected former student of hers, while David tries to figure out what went wrong and how to make it better.

It's impossible to get into the meat of why the last three-quarters of the movie don't work without what some may consider spoilers, though they have to do with the experience of depression rather than things specific to the film, so I will throw in a spoiler alert here and let the reader beware. The problem is that "what went wrong" is, as will be instantly recognizable by anyone who has lived through this kind of depression or lived with someone who has lived through this kind of depression, the wrong question entirely to be asking. I have no doubt that was Nettlebeck's point; the problem is that if her intention was to portray the ineffectual nature of David's quest leading to almost causing his own breakdown, she perhaps did it too well, as watching it is almost as frustrating as living it. One review I read of the film recently said this is a lesson as much as it is a movie. Indeed. And the didactic nature is liable to grate on anyone who already knows the answer.

Still, Ashley Judd's performance in the first part of this movie does make this worth watching, though I think you'd be forgiven for deciding to turn it off halfway through. **
March 5, 2013
During the movie at time 55:35, in the parking lot sucker punching scene< you can see a GIANT MAT that the guy lands on after being punched.
June 5, 2012
Depression is a depressing subject. As such, this is a depressing movie. The actors did a good job, and the music was outstanding.
June 2, 2012
Fabulous insight on how clinical depression effects the individual and the people that loves them.
March 17, 2012
Excellent portrayal of mental illness. Ashley Judd is amazing!
February 15, 2012
A realistic, deep and great film. The only minus was the movie start, where this Helen would have been life in a positive and happy person.
February 12, 2012
Very good and realistic movie !
½ November 11, 2011
Excellently acted, I cried within the first 20 minutes of the movie and through out the entire movie. Although at a few parts it can seem a little long and drawn on. If you have/know someone with depression then this movie with be very real, if you don't then it may seem over dramatic .
October 7, 2011
Breaking-taboo-film giving a great insight on depression and its consequences on an entire family. Very moving and touching. Great performance of Ashley Judd.
September 17, 2011
This is the most accurate portrayal of depression that I've ever seen. Ashley Judd does an amazing job - so amazing that she must have had the experience before. You just can't fake that kind of pain.
September 3, 2011
Greu de trecut prin el dar Judd face totul sa merite...
August 27, 2011
Great performance by Ashley Judd. A deep character study of a woman falling into suicidal depression unable to lead the life she had. Her family can only watch her fall deeper and deeper, unable to understand, to help. I have to agree that the movie is slow in the sense that nothing 'exciting' happens for long. But that's how depression can be. It's not fun to watch or experience. I love that the film is very honest and does not advertise a best solution that saves you.