Marie and Bruce - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marie and Bruce Reviews

½ March 5, 2011
i was soooo bored =/
November 14, 2010
I'd personally prefer it on stage rather than on screen...still appreciate for its efforts though.
½ October 26, 2010
my guess is the only reason this was made was bc moore and broderick signed on? just really not good ... even for j.moore fans.
½ August 25, 2010
I was pretty excited to find out about Marie and Bruce, a bizarre dark comedy about the dissolution of a marriage, penned by Wallace Shawn. It's not Shawn that attracted me, but rather the two leads. The husband is Matthew Broderick, who has morphed from the rebellious teenager that he's better known for playing, and turned into the ultimate sad sack. The wife is Julianne Moore, who I've been more interested in seeing since watching The Kids Are All Right and Chloe back-to-back.

Unfortunately, the promise of the actors is not upheld by the film. The movie is extremely dialogue heavy. I guess the movie was actually based on a play, and unfortunately the theater did not manage to get extracted wholly from the finished film. Many scenes - some that take place in a forest come to mind immediately - have narration covering them when the visuals would have sufficed. This becomes grating easily.

But it's not just that. It's the way the characters talk. They repeat themselves endlessly. This is not completely verbatim, but there's a portion of the movie where Bruce (Broderick) is telling Moore* that she should not drink coffee. His lines go something like this: "Actually, darling, I've noticed that you drink coffee when you're nervous. And darling, I've noticed that when you drink coffee, you actually have a tendency of becoming more nervous. Darling, I'm not trying upset you. It's just that when you drink coffee, darling, you seem to actually become more nervous." I understand that this is, to a certain extent, part of Broderick's character. His relentless repetition and place-filling "darling" is part of the reason that Moore has had enough of him. But his mannerisms do not seem far removed from hers, and their incessant and pointless bickering does little to draw viewers in.

There is one scene that works very well. As though it were a normal part of any given conversation, Bruce matter-of-factly explains to his wife that part of the problem with their relationship is that she does not have sex with him often enough. He words the allegation differently, of course, but it's enough of a shock to bring a bit of life into the scene. I don't think that extending this tendency of Bruce's would have made the movie better, though, as it is the surprise of it that makes the line a punch in the gut.

The moment doesn't last. Before long, we're back to Moore's hysterical outrage at how boring Bruce is and Bruce's gnashing repetition. I've said this before, but it bears repeating. I don't think that characters have to be likeable just because they are the central characters in a film. But at the same time, when they are more exasperating than engaging, something is not being done right. Bruce and Marie has moments of humor, but mostly stomps around without going anywhere at all.

*I say Moore instead of "Marie" because, although it is likely her character's name, I don't remember anybody actually calling her by it. So I found myself wondering whether "Marie" was somebody else entirely.
½ June 19, 2010
Annoying, repetitive and rude! Although the pace of the conversation is mildly interesting it does nothing to help the movie. Incredibly overacted! I struggled to watch the whole movie
April 5, 2010
This two person dramedy about the crumbling of a marriage is a surreal mini masterpiece with Julianne Moore and Matthew Broderick doing some of their best work in years. Moore is vemomous and Broderick has never been so awkwardly creepy. I can't imagine anyone else I know enjoying ths flick, but I was very satisfied.
February 6, 2010
bad bits of just too many other movies to start
½ December 20, 2009
The worst movie ever made!
½ October 26, 2009
I probably shouldn't rate it, seeing as I couldn't get through even 10 minutes of it!
½ July 7, 2009
ACID ON FILM...
without any side effects or danger, except falling asleep after repeating to yourself "why did I rent this? why did I rent this?" Performance-wise, it's obvious that the two leads did their usual brilliant jobs portraying the characters. The plot is a completely different story. It's like watching 2 patients in an insane asylum under the effect of great quantities of potent hallucinogens.

Glad for those who liked it. For me, it's amongst the top ten worst movies I've ever seen
July 1, 2009
Terrible. Bored me to tears. Might be the weirdest dialog I've seen in a movie. Set the record for number of times the word 'darling' is said in a conversation. Very awkward.
½ May 4, 2009
The opening of the film caught my attention and Moore's narration throughout the film kept me watching. It was very dark and at times difficult to keep watching. I would like to see the play version.
½ May 1, 2009
Huh??? Two decent actors could not save this script...
½ April 19, 2009
The filmmakers' conceit that anyone would be remotely entertained by this dreck is absurd. The characters are cruel and their bizarre actions completely unmotivated. It's also badly, badly acted.
April 18, 2009
boring and dull. the dialog of this film is plodding, monotonous and at times completely confusing, plus there's points in this film where it becomes unnecessarily surreal. wasn't feeling this film one bit, and i don't recommend it to anyone.
April 12, 2009
you know who's afraid of virginia woolf? and carnal knowledge and closer and in the company of men and your friends and neighbors and the shape of things? this is the mean version of those. it's absolutely perfect. every line in layered. i can't even handle what i just saw.
½ March 28, 2009
Bizarre and nonsensical. Perhaps it would have been more enjoyable and made more sense were I familiar with the play. Seeing as I am not, however, I was completely lost.
March 20, 2009
it was allright between 2 couples who hates each other
½ March 12, 2009
Quite dark and interesting. I loved the bitter humor!