Dante 01 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dante 01 Reviews

August 6, 2013
The set design is probably the biggest issue in the film besides all the other things that went wrong in the film, it looked so cheap and the use of lighting, oh Gosh, the use of lighting, I just wanted to close my eyes and wish that it would all go away. The acting is incredibly bad as well, how one can fit so much bad acting in one film is simply astounding. There's nothing good about this film, it's just so stupid, what a waste of money. The fact that the film wanted to disguise itself in self righteous semi-religious messages really pissed me off.
March 18, 2013
Deep in space, above a fiery prison planet named Dante, Dante 01, a scientific space station orbits the planet. Its inhabitants include two security guards, two scientists and six prisoners whose crimes were so severe that they volunteered to live under experimentation rather than face death penalties. One day, a shuttle arrives with a new scientist named Elisa. Her passenger (Lambert Wilson) is a man of unknown origins, who wakes up severely disoriented, unable to speak, and often falls into blank stares at what he sees as a bright, shimmering light. He seems to be aware of his surroundings, though, but is unable - or unwilling - to interact with them for the most part. He is introduced to the prisoners: their leader César, his right hand man Lazare, the large Moloch, the socially reclusive Bouddha, Raspoutine, a religious man who believes in repentance with God and the only one who sides with the newly arrived prisoner in the beginning, and Attila, a computer hacker. Raspoutine claims that the new one was sent by God to save the lot of them, calling him "Saint George, the Dragonslayer", because of a tattoo "George" has. It´s obvious that Saint George is a man possessed by inner demons, caught up in the battle to control the monstrous power within him. In the depth of the ship, through danger and redemption, each one of the prisoners must journey to his very limits... and each one must confront his own inner demons...

Marco Caro, mostly known for his great collaborations with Jean-Pierre Jeunet on "City of Lost Children" and "Delicatessen" is on his own with "Dante 01". This sounds intriguing on paper and carries connections
with "Sunshine", "Cube" and as well with "Alien 3". However, Caro ends up in a messy existential and religious structure he never recovers from in my opinion. Saint George is of course some sort of Christ figure and sineater whos existence is based on setting others "free" from their sins and demons, but willl eventually die in his attempts to save. While Caro tries to engage you in his story that there is salvation in a bleak future, you become instead more and more distant as a viewer the longer the movie runs. You simply lose the message of the movie in a haze of visuals/dialogue and there is no salvation for you in the end.
½ January 5, 2013
A dissapointing sci fi rendition caught oddly between themes of God, human evolution and alien infestation set in a space station prison. The film awkwardly dashes between a psychological thriller, horror and finally semi action as it struggles to find a proper vehicle to present its narrative. Could have been a real winner in the same vein as 2001: Space Oddessy & Sunshine
½ November 10, 2012
Holy Smurf! This movie has the sucks power of a black hole on MEGA SLURP mode! It made no sense, had a cast of only dislikeable, mostly bored or angry or angry because they were so bored character and had no purpose what-so-ever other then to make you howl with losing over an hour of your life that you could have used better deworming the cat. I love a good mind bender of a movie but the only thing this film made me think of was that harikiri with a toothpick might be less painful!
garyX
October 21, 2012
An enigmatic stranger is introduced into the population of a space station containing a collection of the criminally insane being used as guinea pigs for experimental treatments. Being directed as it was by one half of the team responsible for Delicatessen and The City Of Lost Children, Dante 01 is as visually pleasing as you'd expect. There is some beautiful imagery and use of colour and the premise intriguing in a kind of cross between Solaris and The Experiment. The script is packed with references to religion and classic literature to the point where I think you may need a PhD in philosophy to have the slightest clue what the film is actually about as little is explained and the conclusion is one of those Manga style existential spectacles that are utterly baffling to the uninitiated. The strong performances and attractive styling will keep the attention of those not too troubled by the lack of coherent narrative but anyone requiring a plot that's easy to follow and self explanatory will find it frustratingly pretentious. A genuine oddity that's worth a look for anyone seeking something a little different to the usual formulaic sci-fi.
½ September 2, 2012
A very strange mixture of sci-fi and thriller with some religious allegory thrown in. Some of it doesn't make any sense (to me) but so much of it does and I enjoyed the trademark look that Caro brings over from previous efforts that he made with co-director Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Alot apparently are turned off by it's vagueness and religious overtones but I wasn't one of them and look forward to seeing it again to determine if I can possibly understand it any better.
½ August 5, 2012
What the fuck is going on ??
April 14, 2012
Religião, Ciência e o controle da disciplina. Suspense e fantasia se entrecruzam. A fotografia e ritmo à (C) meio tenso, mas os diálogos tem profundidade. Os personagens vão se revelando aos poucos.
½ April 14, 2012
movie does not disappoint visually. the emotional atmosphere is cold. actors look interesting...but maybe the characters are a bit one-sided. not bad. the ending looks really cool.
March 9, 2012
You can feel Marc Caro's style throughout this film.. if you have enjoyed his work in the past this is worth a look but its hard to recommend otherwise.. if anything it serves to remind us how everyone lost when he was unable to work with Jeunet on Alien Resurrection. A shorter running time or a more dense plot could have improved things but what was done with the money available is certainly no mean achievement.
December 31, 2011
-Interesting visuals.
-WTF is going on?
-It's too bad the investors backed out and killed the finale of this film.
-Fantastic sets.
½ December 19, 2011
If you enjoyed Delicatessen and City of Lost Children, then don't expect something similar from this. Nothing like them! I didn't like this, it was noisy for no apparent reason, and it was not quirky (The best thing about his other films!)
Watch something else.
bbcfloridabound
½ December 8, 2011
This film is from the 2008 Screamfest Festival. Not as good as some of the other movies show at this festival, matter of fact it was way out there. Its put out by Dimension Extreme, so I knew I was in for something wild. About a prison in space where a new inmate is sent with what appears to be healing powers and can bring the dead back to life. Nothing scary about this one more in line with sci fi. 3 1/2 stars
½ November 2, 2011
Shallow and callous it may be, but Caro's long awaited return to screen is actually somewhat visually enjoyable in places, however the stupidity of the script and utter lack of respect for his audience makes this a fairly overall disappointment. The fact that he was integral to so many incredible collaborations with Jeunet makes this all the more difficult to watch.
½ September 13, 2011
I only watched this because it's Marc Caro of "city of the lost children". very disappointing all round. none of it has any real purpose which just makes for a very boring sci-fi episode. a bit "my little eye", a bit "green mile" and a bit "event horizon" but pretty much none of the good bits of those.
July 1, 2011
Who knew French Sci-fi could be intelligent and watchable. Mostly story and character driven than FX driven.
June 3, 2011
Beautifully designed and shot, but somewhat lacking in the story department.
½ May 27, 2011
Interesting psychological sci-fi thriller/horror. Nice French entry into a genre that's often over populated with cheesy American pap. That said, I'm not sure what they thought they were doing at the end of the film?? Certainly a homage of sorts to 2001 A Space Odyssey
April 17, 2011
A French surreal sci-fi film about a prison space station near the titular planet and a new unknown prisoner brought onboard. A bit too surreal for my taste and quite short too leaving lots of questions unanswered. More of an art film than your typical space horror outing.
April 5, 2011
A very boring, uncreative and plotless movie. The story is somewhat nowhere and especially the ending is very mind boddling as to what is actually happening.