Splice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splice Reviews

½ November 5, 2015
In a sea of remakes, one film breathes new life into the horror genre.
November 3, 2015
A horrifying cautionary tale. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should (including seeing this film).
October 29, 2015
I love the concept of the movie and I must say I understand all the logics of the script and all. It has a very promising start indeed but then because of the consistent logics behind it, I then started to loathe this movie to a certain extent that it makes me want to puke. Now I just hate this one and wish I have never seen Splice before. It is beyond R Rated...
½ October 22, 2015
It is frustrating to see such a fantastic idea and amazing development lead to a disappointing ending. The whole film builds as an intelligent and compelling sci-fi drama until Vincenzo Natali finally decides in the last fifteen minutes that it should be in fact a stupid horror story.
October 14, 2015
This was okay. It felt like a mix between Date With an Angel, Existence, and Species.
½ September 14, 2015
This is like a cross between Hollow Man and Alien, whereby a cross breed of human and beast results in the formation of Dren, a young feline form that is ageing at a rapid rate. Like most females it demonstrates a very unpredictable but alluring nature that intrigue the two scientists that helped create it and continued to allow its development. Unlike most women though, this one has a literal wicked sting in its tail in addition to the characteristic of being able to change sex as part of its development process. Such a rapid transformation then becomes well outside the domains of the scientists control, meaning their undercover secret is at risk of being exposed. Admittedly the enticement of achieving such a scientific breakthrough has seduced the two lead characters, whose passion for their creation gets even stronger as they become engrossed in a parent like bond (quite frankly to the point of a gross extreme). I'm not normally a fan of heavy sci-fi features but this was quite an original storyline, and the subtle horror of it kept me intrigued. It wasn't predictable in the direction it was going to go, which is a characteristic that appeals to me, but I guess at times it become too far fetched for its own good. The on screen relationship was slightly odd between the two, and it felt like more of a brother / sister combination than them being partners, but given the concept of this, perhaps I was reading too much into the inbred theming. I enjoyed it as a one off, but was not completely sold by it, and certainly wouldn't rush to see any sequel or similar adaption if it were to be released.
September 12, 2015
This is something worth definitely checking.
August 29, 2015
Superstar genetic engineers Clive and Elsa specialize in splicing DNA from different animals to create incredible hybrids. Now they want to use human DNA in a hybrid that could revolutionize science and medicine. But, when the company that funds their research forbids it, Clive and Elsa secretly take their boldest experimentation underground -- risking their careers by pushing the boundaries of science to serve their own curiosity and ambition. The result is Dren, an amazing, strangely beautiful creature of uncommon intelligence and an array of unexpected physical developments. At first, Dren exceeds their wildest dreams. But as she grows and learns at an accelerated rate, her existence threatens to become their worst nightmare
August 26, 2015
It 's script lacks the coherence and subtlety for a sci-fi thriller. But Splice is still a unique and smart flick that earns a decent place in the rooster.
August 24, 2015
weird, bizarre, and totally original.
½ August 23, 2015
I think it's fare to call this film David Cronenberg light. There are elements in here of a great though provoking body horror film, but it doesn't go all the way and what we get in the end is too simple of an idea to justify all the set up. There are some things in the film that are set up, but never explored, such as Elsa's relationship with her mother. It clearly has a major impact on her character, but never fully explored. It tries, but in the end, it just becomes another run of the mill creature feature; and that's really the most disappointing aspect of the film. There are some creative visuals, and for the most part the characters are believable. I want to give it a higher score, but there are too many broken promises to justify that.
August 20, 2015
Really interesting film. Brilliant concept behind it. Really makes you think about experiments and what would/can happen with human testing and animal testing. Many a twist and turn thrown in. One of the few sci-fi films I actually like.
½ August 15, 2015
Pretty good but very....the ending...disturbing.
½ August 12, 2015
I've never seen a more f***ed up movie more than this one.
#1. The alien (Dren) - bad effects; especially when she grows wings. It looks fake like they were Halloween costume wings.
#2. The plot line was pretty bad, pretty predictable
#3. Its NOT a horror film. It honestly isn't that scary. I admit I was shocked at some points but never scared.
#4. Most scenes were irrelevant.
The movie was just not good. Its one of those movies your glad you saw for the main point of seeing it. You would never rent it or buy it. You would come across it one day and watch it just because there's nothing on TV.
The Producer/Director(s) jammed irrelevant scenes, humor in weird places, sexual scenes throughout only to keep your attention, and information that never gets answered like Elsa's (Sarah Polley) relationship with her mother.
Or the fact that Clive's (Adrien Brody) brother vanishes.
It almost seems as if they ran out of time at the end.
Slam everything together in a box, wrap it up and tie a bow on the top and you have a gift called Splice.
Looks nice on the outside but beware of the contents inside.
-Summary-
1 star.
- the storyline was predictable and didn't make sense. A lot of the scenes didn't seem to relate to one another.
- having Dren (the alien) turn into a male. Suck Clive (Adrien Brody) into the water only to let him go and live only to kill him 5 minutes later? Why not just kill him the first time?
- Dren (the alien) turns into a male and impregnates her own mother- Elsa ( Sarah Polley)- wtf?
- Or how Dren and her father (Clive) have sex?
The show is just one big WHAT THE F***.
Weirdest show. I'd recommend watching it for the main reason of seeing how f***ed up it is.
But if your looking for a good quality movie- skip it.
½ August 3, 2015
Splice is a very disturbing sci fi, its the type of film you feel uncomfortable watching and cannot take your eyes off it. Its a totally bizarre movie, whilst certainly not scary the uncertainly means that its almost creepy and becomes almost sadistic in places. Splice doesn't mess about, throws itself right into the frankenstein frame, theres back story there but its never clear and some of the writing is a little pretentious. Its one of those movies which has split opinion, its certainly not what I expected it to be but I can fully appreciate that its something a little different, making it a good watch.
½ July 24, 2015
It was compelling enough to keep watching, and definitely disturbing, but not for the right reasons. It was not disturbing as a horror movie, and any movie that involves a rape scene like that one loses at least a full star from me. This one of the films I watch and cannot understand why critics enjoyed it so much. The special effects were mediocre, the creature wasn't inhuman enough to be disturbing or activate the uncanny valley effect. There was really nothing here.
July 20, 2015
86%
Watched this on 19/7/15
Splice is an engrossing science fiction movie that is made by the director of Cube(1997). There are two reasons why Splice failed to interest the audience, the first is that it was poorly marketed as a horror film, which it is not as it's pure sci-fi and the second reason is that the audience are too dumb for changes in story and characters. Splice is the alien of 21st century and it's a psychological horror and investigation into the human condition as well. None of it's characters are stereotypes and the are no black and white characters, there's just greys. Sometimes the human characters are more horrifying than the hybrid organism. This is clearly the director's best work yet. The film is well acted, moreover, it's narrative is quite fresh and it's almost unpredictable. The practical effects also deserve praise.
July 18, 2015
I do hope for Splice Two ! ! Such a great Unique Movie ! Not like the same 007 movies all the same with crazy cars and explosions, you get my point. This one is Unique and just very Interesting.
½ July 13, 2015
It won't scare you but Splice has many great elements that makes it really interesting.
½ June 12, 2015
This is the worst movie I ever accidentally bought from red box. SMH creepy and a total waste of time.