The Notorious Landlady - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Notorious Landlady Reviews

½ June 4, 2015
Not my favorite. Long movie. Boring ending.
½ February 12, 2015
Odd film that succeeds at the occasional mood, helped by its foggy London setting. The film jumps from trying to be a mystery to at times being downright zany. The ending is somewhat amusing, however.
November 20, 2013
A reasonably funny, but slightly dated and uneven comedy farce, "The Notorious Landlady" benefits greatly from the comic work of its cast - Fred Astaire, Kim Novak, and in particular Jack Lemmon.

The plot is a bit wonky, and seems to have been made up of multiple ideas that the studio came up with meshed together into one movie. The characters also seem to switch around personalities quite liberally, with Astaire's character going from a suspicious, irate Embassy director one minute, before a lunch date changes him into an undignified but helpful old fool. It didn't seem to make much sense.

Still, there are laughs to be had, and some eye candy courtesy of Novak, so it's not all bad.
October 5, 2013
Kim Novak is a pretty versatile actress, but it's these types of romantic comedy roles like this and "Bell Book and Candle," both of which were directed by Richard Quine. The story involves an American junior diplomat, Jack Lemmon, in London renting a house from, and falling in love with, the landlady, Novak, who is suspected of murdering her husband. Blake Edwards co-wrote the charming screenplay with future MASH TV creator Larry Gelbart, but this film really belongs to Novak, who is gorgeous and absolutely enchaining. Watching this film has reignited by crush on Novak. And although I I couldn't take my eyes off Novak, that's not to take away from how good Lemmon is in these C.C. Baxter types of roles. To make this movie even better, you've even got Fred Astaire as Lemmon's embassy boss. There's also a nice score by George Duning, who also scored "Bell Book and Candle."
½ September 23, 2013
What a disappointment.
½ September 19, 2013
Poor Fred Astaire comes off the worst of all -- he's stuck as a fawning American embassy chief.
June 10, 2012
Entertaining crime-comedy with sparkling performances!!
August 24, 2011
A funny old movie from 1962 starring Jack Lemmon and Fred Astaire. Jack Lemmon moves to London to start a new job at the US Embassy to find that his attractive and young landlady is being investigated for the murder of her husband, and the story unfolds. I recommend this one.
January 26, 2011
my gosh~Kim Novak is Stunning & Jack Lemmon his usually funny self. they made 3 films tog & they are the Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan of their time!
January 26, 2011
Started out great with some funny and exciting moments. Unfortunately it changes direction in the last act. It seems to have been written by someone else completely, as the tone goes from serious to slapstick. I still can't help but love Jack Lemmon in everything he does, and Kim Novak is always a vulnerable beauty. But it's Fred Astaire who steals the show in his scenes. Too bad it dropped the ball, the potential was certainly there.
½ January 15, 2011
Great cast in a silly movie that is twisted. Kim Novak even provided her own costumes!
½ August 18, 2009
Excellent cast in silly trifle of a film. The tone of the film is all over the place, first romantic comedy than suspense finally slapstick. Fred is a most welcome presence in his brief scenes.
½ January 29, 2009
Kim Novak and Jack Lemmon are always great, but it was like three movies in one. It started out rather dramatic and ended like a slapstick comedy!
January 23, 2009
O Golly, golly...this looks really good....
January 23, 2009
I saw most of this movie - I really wish to see the entire thing - and it was really good. Although the plot is rather complex, the overall story is compeling.
January 22, 2009
There are still some parts I don't understand, but hell: it was entertaining.
December 5, 2008
This was a pretty enjoyable film. It carried an interesting storyline and was a little different than the typical comedic lovestory. Interesting to see Fred Astaire in a more down to earth role and Kim Novak was always able to pull of the mysterious woman role rather well. I thought the movie carried well until the end, where it just seemed to lose all reality and calm. Overall, I still liked this one!
August 15, 2008
Good comedy and very fun to watch. The end is a little much, though.
May 31, 2008
Amazingly entertaining. I absolutely fell in love with Kim Novak in this film.
May 27, 2008
A decent comedy until the farce at the end. This is very much Jack Lemmon territory for the style of the humour.